Alan Shearer: "Leaving Newcastle was the best thing I ever did...."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iirc Southampton nearly won the league in the early 80s, and were playing in Europe, as well as in finals and semi finals. On the other hand, the mags were pissing about between divisions, selling their best players, and were never going to do anything.

It would have been tough to leave home, but when a more attractive club came calling there was probably only one decision he could make. Worked out very well for him, as he says.

Why do so many posters on here suck Shearer's cock?

I'm tired of this perception that Shearer secretly likes Sunderland. He does not - he is always hoping that we lose every game, however has to come across as professional and objective so his role as a pundit does not get jeopardized.

He can fuck off.

I get the point he's making but were other clubs, including Newcastle, lining up to sign him as a 14/15 year old, sure I read he went for a trial with the Mags and didnt get selected, so its not like he made an active choice to "get away".

I'm still waiting for the article where he admits he should have signed for Man Utd (he could have forced it through if he wanted i reckon).

I get the point he's making but were other clubs, including Newcastle, lining up to sign him as a 14/15 year old, sure I read he went for a trial with the Mags and didnt get selected, so its not like he made an active choice to "get away".

I'm still waiting for the article where he admits he should have signed for Man Utd (he could have forced it through if he wanted i reckon).

He went for a trial during Charlton's "Total Football" era , played in goal during the trial and that was that.

His time at Newcastle, mainly due to injury, was only a shadow of his true ability and potential. His real peak and glory days were at Blackburn, where he scored 112 goals in 138 games, a shot above his one in three record with the mags.

His time at Newcastle, mainly due to injury, was only a shadow of his true ability and potential. His real peak and glory days were at Blackburn, where he scored 112 goals in 138 games, a shot above his one in three record with the mags.
Probably going to hell for defending She-ra, but he scored 206 in 405 for them. Wish we'd had a striker who was only a shadow of his true ability!

148 in 303 league games, 206 in 405 games in all competitions. 1 in 2 not 1 in 3

Good player, average pundit.

Had far too much influence at the mags and particularly England though.

Both true. This 2008 article has proved to be very perceptive. Look at the contrast between the treatment of mid table managers like Pardew and Allardyce compared to relegation failures like Shearer and Benitez.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2008/sep/26/newcastleunited.blackburn

You suspect Shearer knew he was gone at the very highest level - and a cynic would attribute his decision to retire from international football in 2000, ostensibly to focus on Newcastle, to this as well - and he needed to fuel his ego in other ways. Shearer knew he could do no wrong; that, if he said jump, 40,000 Geordies would say, "Howay". Unsurprisingly, he fed off that.

As did they. The fusion and the delusion suited both parties. Whereas Blackburn fans have moved on from being dumped, and still regard - and you'll like this - Simon Garner as Mr Blackburn, Newcastle fans are so in thrall to Shearer that, as Simon Barnes noted, the club cannot move on until Shearer has had his stint as manager.

The peculiar psyche of Newcastle, which encourages the fans to deify weaklings like Kevin Keegan and run proper professionals like Sam Allardyce out of town, means that they crave a hero who ticks certain basic boxes, and Shearer did that. In return he got an adoration entirely disproportionate to his achievements, and a reputation that consequently stayed intact despite compelling evidence to the contrary.

He said a big regret was that he didn't sign for Sunderland instead of Southampton. A big blow to the mags that.

I'm sure he went to Soton with a lad called Chris Redhead, who was far more talented but very slight. Never heard of him since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back