Advice about 3rd party flights not being provided through a holiday company

The data protection point is bollocks. Both emails are in relation to you and presumably include personal information about you in making and cancelling the flight, and you have a right to see any personally identifiable information a company holds about you. I'd send them a Subject Access Request under GDPR to see these emails and all other data that they hold on you. That should turn their bowels to water.

A full refund would be much simpler and cheaper for them than a formal response to an SAR.
I said it wasn’t data protection, because it was about me, but I wasn’t 100% confident I was correct so I didn’t push the issue.
Thank you for confirming I was right, and I will do that, cheers 👍
Cancellation may be necessary in exceptional circumstances and GoSingles reserves the right in its absolute discretion to cancel your holiday. If this occurs, you will be offered an alternative holiday of comparable standard (if available) or credit voucher for the amount paid which can be redeemed within a period of 12 months. In no case except for circumstances beyond our control or where you fail to make payment in whole or in part will your holiday be cancelled within 10 weeks of departure

This is in their changes and cancellations. They will no doubt say that your holiday isn't cancelled, but the one you booked is, so I would argue that they have gone against their terms and conditions - If those flights are still going to / from Newcastle.
You could have booked hotels / parking at Newcastle. - to change airports at such short notice is really poor.
Hope you get something sorted
Thank you for that

Last edited:

I had an issue with Tui with a canceled cruise during covid, canceled cruise and sent me an email to say dont contact them as they would be in touch with me in 10 day, they did'nt and as 10 days had passed when I rang them they said I had missed out on 20% re booking bonus. I asked repeately to speak to supervisor only to be told they were highest person there and would not do anything for me.
I ended up going on twitter X and posting polite reply's to people who were asking about the same situation as I was and giving info of what had happend to me and saying I was going to BBC Rip off Briton.
Had a phone call 30 mins later saying there had been a massive mistake and could they sort it out please.

Read it all again and I'm confused 😄
You mentioned the outward flights were OK? But mention going out from Manchester? So not ok
Ref 3rd party ,that was my point before
This singles people want a seat on a tui plane which they'd rather get a punter on a 2 grand tui package in . Perhaps they are acting differently to you as a customer to the Singles middleman . 🤷‍♂️
I get the full flight ,fly back later bit but not the Manchester bit
We're you not flying direct from Newcastle?

Read it all again and I'm confused 😄
You mentioned the outward flights were OK? But mention going out from Manchester? So not ok
Ref 3rd party ,that was my point before
This singles people want a seat on a tui plane which they'd rather get a punter on a 2 grand tui package in . Perhaps they are acting differently to you as a customer to the Singles middleman . 🤷‍♂️
I get the full flight ,fly back later bit but not the Manchester bit
We're you not flying direct from Newcastle?
I was supposed to be flying from and back to Newcastle and paid the supplement for this in July, assuming, wrongly as it turns out, they would just book the flights straight away.

On Thursday they rang, initially they said the flights were cancelled, because of Gaza, lots of companies were cancelling flights to Egypt.

I checked, the 15th Jan flight was still available, the 22nd Jan flight you couldn’t book, so then they said it was 22nd Jan flight that was cancelled. I checked with TUI it wasn’t cancelled it was full.
So I could only conclude they’d never booked the flights in the first place and shat their pants when they tried, after leaving it as late as possible, and found return flight on 22nd full.

When I challenged them, they changed their tune and said TUI were no longer accepting 3rd party, flight only bookings.
But, they said I could fly out from Newcastle, on 15th, (original flight date) and stay an extra 4 nights and return to Newcastle on 26th. Begs the question, if TUI don’t accept 3rd party bookings how was that possible?

Flying from Manchester was part of the standard package, with no extra cost. When they first rang on Thursday, they offered me flights from Manchester, just flights from Manchester, though they’d done a bit of research to tell me I could get a train home at 4.00am. When I said I wasn’t happy they said well you can always fly from Gatwick 🙄😂

I think they just expected me to say okay and forget I’d paid the flight supplement from Newcastle.
(hope I’ve made myself a bit clearer, it was confusing 😀)

Last edited:
I was supposed to be flying from and back to Newcastle and paid the supplement for this in July, assuming, wrongly as it turns out, they would just book the flights straight away.

On Thursday they rang, initially they said the flights were cancelled, because of Gaza, lots of companies were cancelling flights to Egypt.

I checked, the 15th Jan flight was still available, the 22nd Jan flight you couldn’t book, so then they said it was 22nd Jan flight that was cancelled. I checked with TUI it wasn’t cancelled it was full.
So I could only conclude they’d never booked the flights in the first place and shat their pants when they tried, after leaving it as late as possible, and found return flight on 22nd full.

When I challenged them, they changed their tune and said TUI were no longer accepting 3rd party, flight only bookings.
But, they said I could fly out from Newcastle, on 15th, (original flight date) and stay an extra 4 nights and return to Newcastle on 26th. Begs the question, if TUI don’t accept 3rd party bookings how was that possible?

Flying from Manchester was part of the standard package, with no extra cost. When they first rang on Thursday, they offered me flights from Manchester, just flights from Manchester, though they’d done a bit of research to tell me I could get a train home at 4.00am. When I said I wasn’t happy they said well you can always fly from Gatwick 🙄😂

I think they just expected me to say okay and forget I’d paid the flight supplement from Newcastle.
Sort of
Still sounds like they are offering flights from Newcastle and Manchester.
Anyway don't worry explaining it 😄
Hope you get sorted

Even if you only pay for part of it on a credit card, like a deposit, you’ll be covered for the full amount.

This. Ask for a SAR and evidence that the flights were booked. Don’t let them say data protection. It’s your data and you are entitled to it by law.
Ask them who their data processing officer is and when submitting a SAR copy in [email protected] and ask them if there’s any reason this company can legally refuse your SAR request.

There are protections similar to section 75 on debit cards as well, contact your bank for details.

Also this practice is rife in the travel industry. They effectively use your money to short airlines prices knowing the risk is with the consumer and not them as they can fob you off with some nonsense if it goes wrong. I always book direct but really this practice needs outlawing. They are fraudsters at the end of the day.
It really irks me when people say you’re only protected if using a credit card, I know they’re trying to help but it’s just plain wrong.

What is the Chargeback Scheme?​

Although less well known than Section 75, the Chargeback Scheme gives you a way to get your money back from your bank if you purchase something faulty. It also protects you when you have spent money on a debit card for a service that was not provided or if a company stops trading and fails to deliver promised goods.

You get protection through the Chargeback Scheme for purchases made using all UK debit cards and credit cards, including:

• Visa debit and credit cards, as well as Visa Electron cards
  • MasterCard debit and credit cards
  • Maestro debit cards (valid until 1 July 2023)
  • Prepaid cards
There is a similar purchase protection scheme in place for Amex charge cards.

If they refund you the Newcastle supplement, could that fund a taxi home on the return flight? Train over for the outbound, get them to cover that.

Great advice as usual from all on here.

The debit card protection is there but not as well advertised as the credit card.

Booking flights with third parties rather than direct with the airline is chancey. I never do it. For hotels I'm either direct with the hotels or through booking.com. know someone who booked the On The Beach during COVID cancellations and had an absolute nightmare. We'd gone direct with BA and hotel and had no problems.

It really irks me when people say you’re only protected if using a credit card, I know they’re trying to help but it’s just plain wrong.

Although less well known than Section 75, the Chargeback Scheme gives you a way to get your money back from your bank if you purchase something faulty. It also protects you when you have spent money on a debit card for a service that was not provided or if a company stops trading and fails to deliver promised goods.

You get protection through the Chargeback Scheme for purchases made using all UK debit cards and credit cards, including:

• Prepaid cards
Takes a while though. Credit card ones take days.

• Prepaid cards
The clue is in your post - Chargeback is a voluntary scheme is it not, whereas Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 is legislation.

Your bank may have a similar approach but a different legal standing affecting its ability to recover your money and thus pay you back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve never encountered this before and I’m wondering what, if any legal rights I have.

I booked a holiday in July for January. The regular airports were Manchester and Gatwick so I paid £230 to fly from Ponteland.

In November I paid £70 for extra space seats and there was no mention of any issues, I spoke to holiday company on 2nd December and again, no issues were raised.

I had a call yesterday to say, Tui (the flight carrier) had cancelled the flights because of the situation in Gaza. I looked, they hadn’t, I could still book a seat on 15th on intended flight, I told the company this, they said, oh, but it’s not possible to book 22nd (day I was due to fly home) they’ve cancelled the flight on 22nd. It’s true you couldn’t book 22nd but I rang TUI and, they hadn’t cancelled 22nd flight, at all, it was full. I told them this too.

So, they then said, TUI had changed their policies and wouldn’t accept 3rd party bookings. But, they said, I could fly on 15th and return on 26th (staying an extra 4 nights). If they don’t accept 3rd party flights how is it possible I can fly on 15th (day I thought I’d already booked to fly) and return on 26th on a TUI flight.

I am convinced they didn’t book the flight when I paid the money in July, they’ve sat on it, then if/when they’ve gone to book it they’ve shat themselves because the return flight was full.

I don’t think they expected me to cause a fuss, they just thought I’d fly from Manchester and land at 2.30 am and get the train (they’d kindly checked the time of that left at 4.00am).

Im sure it’s not but, if I am right, it seems like fraud, to have money from July to pay for a flight that’s not been paid for.

Sorry for long post but it’s totally unknown territory to me and I wanted to provide full context.
I know 2 couples who travelled together to Vancouver 2022. A day before they were due to return, one of the couples were told the flight had been cancelled and advised to find a new flight themselves. But! The other couple weren't contacted because they were still on this 'cancelled' flight. Clearly the company had overbooked.

They just tell outright lies to stop people complaining.

I know 2 couples who travelled together to Vancouver 2022. A day before they were due to return, one of the couples were told the flight had been cancelled and advised to find a new flight themselves. But! The other couple weren't contacted because they were still on this 'cancelled' flight. Clearly the company had overbooked.

They just tell outright lies to stop people complaining.
They have definitely lied and I think that’s what has pissed me off most, the lies.
If they’d fronted up and said you know what we have messed up I’d have been cross but I’d have given credit for being honest.
But they lied three times, first saying flights were cancelled, then saying return flight on 22nd was cancelled, then saying tui were not accepting 3rd party bookings.

They have definitely lied and I think that’s what has pissed me off most, the lies.
If they’d fronted up and said you know what we have messed up I’d have been cross but I’d have given credit for being honest.
But they lied three times, first saying flights were cancelled, then saying return flight on 22nd was cancelled, then saying tui were not accepting 3rd party bookings.
They must have a list of excuses/lies that they go through. It must be frustrating and exhausting for you.

Hope you get a refund and can spend it on a trouble-free holiday with a decent travel company. 🤞

Back