Absolutely brilliant.

I think the issue is that when you are good enough to play well, dominate games score 3 or 4 goals on occasion it gives you a margin of error for odd bad goals , penalties against you, bad day at office etc.

We are a team that wants automatic promotion, dare I say the 100 points, yet are always only ever a percentage point better than the other team at very best. And often no better at all or worse.

That's why we did not get promoted.

The worry is we are exactly the same again this season. Our victories albeit very welcome, are always the finest of margins and over a season you can see there being lots of draws again.

That's why fans are nervous about performances not just results

I think the issue is that when you are good enough to play well, dominate games score 3 or 4 goals on occasion it gives you a margin of error for odd bad goals , penalties against you, bad day at office etc.

We are a team that wants automatic promotion, dare I say the 100 points, yet are always only ever a percentage point better than the other team at very best. And often no better at all or worse.

That's why we did not get promoted.

The worry is we are exactly the same again this season. Our victories albeit very welcome, are always the finest of margins and over a season you can see there being lots of draws again.

That's why fans are nervous about performances not just results

2 wins and 2 draws from the opening 4 games doesn't look too bad a return on paper but we were pretty fortunate to pick up a point against Oxford, Ipswich could and should have been out of sight by half-time before gifting us an equaliser and Rochdale were the better side for large spells of last nights game. Even against Portsmouth where I thought we just about deserved the 3 points we needed a defensive howler from Pompey to set us up for Maguire's goal.

Last season showed that we couldn't keep relying on moments of individual quality from us combined with dreadful finishing from the opposition if we wanted to go up automatically and yet we look like we're in that exact position again this time around.

Were you hoping we lost again mate?

:rolleyes:

no one is complaining that we won and there's points on the board.

the issue is the performances which show no signs of changing. Jack Ross is not going to get us automatically promoted playing the way we have been since January.

we won't get away playing like this long term. exactly the same thing happened last season. we had an outrageous shots on target to goal ratio which wasn't sustainable as we create next to nothing and sure enough it went tits up. yet apparently we're all doom mongers and negative because we can see it's going to happen again unless something changes.

the issue is the performances which show no signs of changing. Jack Ross is not going to get us automatically promoted playing the way we have been since January.

we won't get away playing like this long term. exactly the same thing happened last season. we had an outrageous shots on target to goal ratio which wasn't sustainable as we create next to nothing and sure enough it went tits up. yet apparently we're all doom mongers and negative because we can see it's going to happen again unless something changes.
Well it shouldn't be, not on this thread anyway. This thread was about being happy at last night's win but it's been massively derailed by the moaners that it might as well just be deleted cause the point made in the OP is gone.

It is, it is an argument from authority and a silly one if you applied that consistently, as it would disqualify the arguer from ever differing from the opinion of the manager, on the same grounds he charges others with. That would then lead to logical contradictions further down the line, whenever 2 managers disagreed, as you'd be compelled to agree with both of them.

What experts? Wigan under Paul Cook played some good attacking football, as did Blackburn under Mowbray. That's their style. Ross's is more defensive and negative. If it works good but if I think it's boring and dull I'll call it that.

Its what he thinks is right given the division and players at his disposal
It is, it is an argument from authority and a silly one if you applied that consistently, as it would disqualify the arguer from ever differing from the opinion of the manager, on the same grounds he charges others with. That would then lead to logical contradictions further down the line, whenever 2 managers disagreed, as you'd be compelled to agree with both of them.

I often disagree with Ross but also quite happy to let him do what he thinks is best.

So now results are good, Ross needs sacking for not winning well enough.

Heaven forbid I suggest some people just have it in for him and can't be objective.
One Swallow/result (I'm saying the Portsmouth game was decent performance, the other have been very poor at best) does not make a summer.. A hell of a long way to go and I still not convinced or seen anything that says this bloke is up to it.

Concur, its just a bullshit answer to just worm out of things.

That's a weak excuse. We are set up to be defensive and negative. There's no reason we can't be more attacking and press teams.

Couldn't agree more, Rochdale's movement and passing was far superior to ours for a large majority of the game and we only won due to quality individual moments and a great goalie. Surely our 11 players have far more quality than there's so should be able to play with the same style and blow these teams away so we aren't at the mercy of a late equaliser.

Its what he thinks is right given the division and players at his disposal

I often disagree with Ross but also quite happy to let him do what he thinks is best.
I'm not disagreeing. If that is how Ross feels we should play to get out of this division they fine. But I don't he will win my many admirers with it and fans will like to see a more progressive style.

So you did or didn't want us to lose again? :lol:

It sure was marra. Horrible to watch but a good three points for that reason. Same as last season some teams will see games against us as a free hit and play with urgency and press with energy levels they will find it hard to reproduce in other games for the rest of the season. Having said that we need to find a counter for it as it shouldn’t be a surprise to us now. I’m convinced we will get better as we have quality in the team. At the moment we just look a bit disjointed.
Hopefully wins will breed confidence. Another couple and we might see players relax and play with a little bit more freedom.

Back