Absolutely brilliant.

I'm not trying to be constructive. Just trying to understand the mindset. Supporting us whilst hoping we lose. It's a new one on me.

i never said i hope we lose. i said i would accept defeat if it meant the removal of Jack Ross as manager. there's a difference as you well know

I remain happy with the effort and, in most cases, considering the league we are in, the quality of the individuals in the squad.

But it isn't much fun to watch is it?

There were times last season where I though our plan was clear - slick passing and better quality finishing over physicality and hoofing it into the danger zone.
But this seemed to fade away by the season's end and we were more or less just trying a lot without any plan at all so far as I could see.

We haven't got huge amounts of pace or Prem type talent but we do easily have one of the best squads in the division and we ought to be able to make that count over the long haul.

I'd just like us to play a settled first eleven so they can get more comfortable with each other and push on. Of course we can't do owt about injuries... :(

I think we back the lads and the manager until Xmas and see where we are and whether we are gelling better. If not the question is then whether anyone else can get more out of the squad in the second half of the season IMHO...

I'm not disagreeing. If that is how Ross feels we should play to get out of this division they fine. But I don't he will win my many admirers with it and fans will like to see a more progressive style.
For arguments sake, say he does manage to get us promoted this year with these tactics...What happens next season? Is he going to get the chance to play the same way again? I would suspect he would not but that leaves us with building another team to compete in the Championship. By their own admission, the owner dont have the funds to do this. The sensible thing , imo ,to do would be to build a team now capable of playing open, passing, flowing football with a strong emphasis on a strong middle and defence not pussy footing with the tactics JR is employing again this year as last. He really hasn't learned a thing from last season.

For arguments sake, say he does manage to get us promoted this year with these tactics...What happens next season? Is he going to get the chance to play the same way again? I would suspect he would not but that leaves us with building another team to compete in the Championship. By their own admission, the owner dont have the funds to do this. The sensible thing , imo ,to do would be to build a team now capable of playing open, passing, flowing football with a strong emphasis on a strong middle and defence not pussy footing with the tactics JR is employing again this year as last. He really hasn't learned a thing from last season.
I totally agree. We need to be building a team that can go. ATM, we look like a team that is built for the short-term.

i never said i hope we lose. i said i would accept defeat if it meant the removal of Jack Ross as manager. there's a difference as you well know
Sounds like you want us to lose marra. I've felt the same way before about previous managers if i'm being honest but then the team has been wallowing at the bottom of what ever division. I still think Jack Ross is learning his trade at this level and the football is turgid to watch sometimes no doubt,but he is grinding out results. His substitution and change in tactics brought about the win yesterday which suggests good management to me. I've resigned myself to the fact we aren't going to be clobbering teams 3-4 nil and more likely we will have to graft hard and every match is going to put a strain on my nerves/emotions but that's nothing new to a Sunderland supporter. I think the team work hard for Jack as well. All said and done though if we don't get promotion this season Jack has to go.....(we need to get out of this league and get that transfer investment)but to get rid of him now would be stupid.

I think the win was. We played poor, they played well and we won the game. Brilliant that. Last season I reckon we would have probably lost or at best scraped a draw.

The main reason we didn't lose or draw imo is that Rochdale were profligate in front of goal. Essentially that's not something within our control and we can't rely on it. I know we disagree on this but I just feel that something isn't right between the manager and players. It isn't application and its difficult to nail it down but I think we're better than what we're showing.

The main reason we didn't lose or draw imo is that Rochdale were profligate in front of goal. Essentially that's not something within our control and we can't rely on it. I know we disagree on this but I just feel that something isn't right between the manager and players. It isn't application and its difficult to nail it down but I think we're better than what we're showing.
I couldn't disagree more. Last night showed everything to me how much the players are fighting and playing for him.
i fail to see how it's ludicrous. all about the long term and promotion

i'd be absolutely flabbergasted if Jack Ross achieves automatic promotion. love to be proved wrong mind but for me absolutely nothing has changed
So if nothings changed you're surely expecting us to be up at the top end of the table fighting it out for promotion, after all that's exactly what we did last year.

Last edited:
I couldn't disagree more. Last night showed everything to me how much the players are fighting and playing for him.

I did say application wasn't an issue and that what exactly is wrong is difficult to nail down. In my opinion though the players rarely play with freedom of expression and are being outplayed by poor teams for long spells.

Back