A1 at Catterick

Status
Not open for further replies.

What A Waster

Striker
Lost Magpie
Is it open now?
Heading down that way at the weekend, was just planning my route, and the satellite pictures on google maps are different to the route it's giving me, its telling me to exit on a sliproad that isn't yet built in the satellite photos.
Know it was meant to open spring 2017.

Is it open now?
Heading down that way at the weekend, was just planning my route, and the satellite pictures on google maps are different to the route it's giving me, its telling me to exit on a sliproad that isn't yet built in the satellite photos.
Know it was meant to open spring 2017.
It was open on Tuesday morning. I believe they only shut it at night.

Buy a satnav

Pointless as the road is not yet finished.

Completion has been delayed by 6 months. The A1 is open during the day.

Ignore sat nav and follow the diversion signs to where you need to go. I was down there last weekend and had no problems getting to Leyburn.

It was open on Tuesday morning. I believe they only shut it at night.

I drive south from Bishop on a Sunday night / Monday morning and it's a nightmare when it's shut; the signposted diversion takes me through Barnard Castle!

More annoying that i've got to backtrack about 10 miles back to Bishop to get around to Barney. They never take the diversion and road closed signs down either, so you don't know till you get there if it's actually shut.

Last edited:
Pointless as the road is not yet finished.

Completion has been delayed by 6 months. The A1 is open during the day.

Ignore sat nav and follow the diversion signs to where you need to go. I was down there last weekend and had no problems getting to Leyburn.
That's great, exactly the answer I was after. Cheers

Thought Mag's had no need to ever venture south of the Tyne?

That's a victim mentality you've got there.

I drive south from Bishop on a Sunday night / Monday morning and it's a nightmare when it's shut; the signposted diversion takes me through Barnard Castle!

More annoying that i've got to backtrack about 10 miles back to Bishop to get around to Barney. They never take the diversion and road closed signs down either, so you don't know till you get there if it's actually shut.
The lack of warning is a right pain.

Thinking of a family day out at forbidden corner after it was recommended on this board.

I can already see it being a disaster if there's road diversions in place. End up having a right barney in the car because of it. Obviously will be my fault somehow

Thinking of a family day out at forbidden corner after it was recommended on this board.

I can already see it being a disaster if there's road diversions in place. End up having a right barney in the car because of it. Obviously will be my fault somehow
If you're going to Forbidden Corner, surely your better off coming off the A1 at Scotch Corner anyway?

Why not just use the A19?

Because it'll probably have an accident on it.

We were at Forbidden Corner at the weekend and we went the A684 to get there and went via Richmond on the way back. My advice would be to stick to the A684 as the Richmond route is single track roads which are a pain in the arse and the kids will probably hoy up with all the bends and bumps.

Use the postcode DL8 4TQ as the other postcode tries to take you through private land.

Enjoy the room with the coffins, the kids will hate it.

Last edited:
Why not just use the A19?

Because I've got to go about 10 miles out of my way to get on the a19, and then come back across another 20 mile or whatever it is when i get far enough south.

Because it'll probably have an accident on it.

We were at Forbidden Corner at the weekend and we went the A684 to get there and went via Richmond on the way back. My advice would be to stick to the A684 as the Richmond route is single track roads which are a pain in the arse and the kids will probably hoy up with all the bends and bumps.

Use the postcode DL8 4TQ as the other postcode tries to take you through private land.

Enjoy the room with the coffins, the kids will hate it.

You reckon its better coming off the a1 at Leeming instead of Catterick then?

Last edited:
Because I've got to go about 10 miles out of my way to get on the a19, and then come back across another 20 mile or whatever it is when i get far enough south.

You reckon its better coming off the a1 at Leeming instead of Catterick then?
Yep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back