A View From Behind Enemy Lines

We tend to forget that Dodd's is totally new to management, so should be cut some slack just like the players who are also getting used to their roles. The constant communication with the players was excellent and it helped us keep our shape, you can tell he's a decent coach as the players listened and the game plan worked. Farke didn't do that at all plus Leeds became very predictable, Essentially Dodd's outsmarted Farke.

People saying Leeds fans piss poor 😀
I wish our home support was as piss poor as theirs for singing
They were prompted by a tape being played loudly prior to ko . What is positive and creates a good atmosphere is a quality team playing attractive football and winning regularly over the long term. eg Rangers, Celtic and Liverpool.
What is negative, a team who have not been successful for many years in the top tiers. Who do not win with swagger and confidence and have a recent history of record low points in the Premiership and who went through nearly a whole season without a home win. Despite all these negatives we have the biggest average support in the division. This is phenomenal both home and away. The away support has been unbelievable for many decades.
The atmosphere at SOL is generally very good despite all the negatives and not having a recognised target man for nearly two seasons. We have failed to build on recent good teams by not acquiring quality playing staff. We have been kicked in the teeth by the likes of Sam Allardyce and recent owners who failed to bring in a long term coach/manager who would be given the backing and time to build a team to match the support.
History has shown that having a strong, balanced and successful team over a sustained long term, the atmosphere would be second to none in England.
To complain that our home support don’t sing enough and compare us to Leeds fans sitting in the top two, shows no understanding at all.
People saying Leeds fans piss poor 😀
I wish our home support was as piss poor as theirs for singing

As mentioned elsewhere, I sat in the Leeds end tonight, 3 rows back from our dugout. Interesting seeing Dodds and the staff up close.

Dodds very frustrated throughout, turning round and visibly swearing at every loose ball before f***ing about with his iPad on the tripod.

Was on Pembele, Bellingham and Ekwah constantly. Him and Proctor seemed to be coaching Pembele through the game.

Lot of encouragement for Rigg too. ‘More intensity’ repeated a lot.

Initially thought he looked quite immature in his approach by comparison to Farke who seemed much more composed. However, he was visibly making tweaks to positioning all the way through the first half in particular, moving Rigg out wider, then giving him the go ahead to get tighter in and around Bellingham.

Clearly a good tactician in there as evidenced by the result but his gut reaction to any mistakes seems to be to blow up, which can’t be good for the players and is a stark difference to the encouragement of Mowbray.

As a side note, Leeds fans were absolutely awful, not a peep from them and many round me booed them off in both halves. Top marks to the bloke behind me who broke the silence in the first half with a lousy ‘fuck off Farke you fat lazy ****’
Guess you've never seen Arteta, Klopp or Pep Guaridiola go ape shit ! It's called PASSION FFS! Gerrin to them, 4uk them up .HTL.:rolleyes:

Was good enough for Alex Ferguson
No denying that, Fergie was certainly unique, from the normal tactical point of view though seeing the match from the stands a manager can view the bigger picture, think most would agree Fergie had another agenda to the on pitch tactics

I sat in their Kop End late 80s / early 90s, sure we got beat 2-0. It was a bit hairy back then, and I had had a few beers beforehand so I wasn't sat there exactly cheering Leeds on. I wouldn't fancy doing it again
Much more likely to get filled in back in those days but it's awful sitting amongst opposition fans.

Was once sat in the Premier Concourse circa 99 home to Liverpool and a Scouse fan sat next to me, after a while his guard dropped a bit but he wasn't too bad. Bloke in front (with his wife and kids) turned round and headbutted him on the way out. Bloke in front was removed by Stewards the following week and never saw him again.

They were prompted by a tape being played loudly prior to ko . What is positive and creates a good atmosphere is a quality team playing attractive football and winning regularly over the long term. eg Rangers, Celtic and Liverpool.
What is negative, a team who have not been successful for many years in the top tiers. Who do not win with swagger and confidence and have a recent history of record low points in the Premiership and who went through nearly a whole season without a home win. Despite all these negatives we have the biggest average support in the division. This is phenomenal both home and away. The away support has been unbelievable for many decades.
The atmosphere at SOL is generally very good despite all the negatives and not having a recognised target man for nearly two seasons. We have failed to build on recent good teams by not acquiring quality playing staff. We have been kicked in the teeth by the likes of Sam Allardyce and recent owners who failed to bring in a long term coach/manager who would be given the backing and time to build a team to match the support.
History has shown that having a strong, balanced and successful team over a sustained long term, the atmosphere would be second to none in England.
To complain that our home support don’t sing enough and compare us to Leeds fans sitting in the top two, shows no understanding at all.
Exactly
But like I said they were very quiet for most of the match .
Boos at half time and full time .
The posters creaming themselves on here over their support would be the first to slag our support if we booed the team off when we were sitting second off top.

And Leeds are not similar?

Relegation to league 1 for 3 seasons.
10 seasons in the championship of which the majority were mid table finishes around 13-15th
3 in the prem where they weren't much better than us - regular thrashings at home.

We got promoted, last season was probably better than we expected , playing great football, and the atmosphere was still not great with vast amount of fans leaving when the game was in the balance.

O
As mentioned elsewhere, I sat in the Leeds end tonight, 3 rows back from our dugout. Interesting seeing Dodds and the staff up close.

Dodds very frustrated throughout, turning round and visibly swearing at every loose ball before f***ing about with his iPad on the tripod.

Was on Pembele, Bellingham and Ekwah constantly. Him and Proctor seemed to be coaching Pembele through the game.

Lot of encouragement for Rigg too. ‘More intensity’ repeated a lot.

Initially thought he looked quite immature in his approach by comparison to Farke who seemed much more composed. However, he was visibly making tweaks to positioning all the way through the first half in particular, moving Rigg out wider, then giving him the go ahead to get tighter in and around Bellingham.

Clearly a good tactician in there as evidenced by the result but his gut reaction to any mistakes seems to be to blow up, which can’t be good for the players and is a stark difference to the encouragement of Mowbray.

As a side note, Leeds fans were absolutely awful, not a peep from them and many round me booed them off in both halves. Top marks to the bloke behind me who broke the silence in the first half with a lousy ‘fuck off Farke you fat lazy ****’
Obsessed you like

And Leeds are not similar?

Relegation to league 1 for 3 seasons.
10 seasons in the championship of which the majority were mid table finishes around 13-15th
3 in the prem where they weren't much better than us - regular thrashings at home.

We got promoted, last season was probably better than we expected , playing great football, and the atmosphere was still not great with vast amount of fans leaving when the game was in the balance.
You didn’t mention the ‘cheating’ years under Revie where they were successful from mid 60’s. Then winning the league under Wilkinson, all in living memory. They had bought numerous quality players Cantona, Strachan, Jones, Radebe, Tony Yeboah and Brolin to add to Batty and Speed.They currently have a nucleus of premiership players .
They then attracted a hooligan element from far and wide to latch onto them when playing away causing havoc in Bournemouth . Walking sticks at ten pacers.
In all those years we were poor performing. Yet their gates have averaged about mid 30k.
As a final note, when Wilkinson won the league their turnout in Leeds City Centre on a weekend was 250,000. To compare in 1973 Sunderland brought the cup back on a Tuesday night. Crowds started at Scotch Corner, Darlington, Co Durham turned out, changed onto a double decker at Carville where 25000 were waiting and arrived at Roker Park about 3 hours late because of massed crowds on the route. Police estimated 1.5 million people lined the whole route. I was up Houghton Cut for three hours, lined and packed on both sides.

First away match I’ve been to in a good few years. Our fans were class, never stopped singing, theirs were absolutely piss poor. Elland Road is a shit ground, was expecting so much more. So surprised they haven’t moved, there is plenty of space next to it to build a new one.
That's a massive park and ride carpark though.

You didn’t mention the ‘cheating’ years under Revie where they were successful from mid 60’s. Then winning the league under Wilkinson, all in living memory. They had bought numerous quality players Cantona, Strachan, Jones, Radebe, Tony Yeboah and Brolin to add to Batty and Speed.They currently have a nucleus of premiership players .
They then attracted a hooligan element from far and wide to latch onto them when playing away causing havoc in Bournemouth . Walking sticks at ten pacers.
In all those years we were poor performing. Yet their gates have averaged about mid 30k.
As a final note, when Wilkinson won the league their turnout in Leeds City Centre on a weekend was 250,000. To compare in 1973 Sunderland brought the cup back on a Tuesday night. Crowds started at Scotch Corner, Darlington, Co Durham turned out, changed onto a double decker at Carville where 25000 were waiting and arrived at Roker Park about 3 hours late because of massed crowds on the route. Police estimated 1.5 million people lined the whole route. I was up Houghton Cut for three hours, lined and packed on both sides.
So don revies cheating years in the 60s means that the kids that go to see Leeds now are more inclined to make a good atmosphere than Sunderland fans who only win the cup in 73.

1.5 million fans turning out was excellent 👍 Wearside and county Durham only have a combined population of about 1 mil now, so would be far less 50 years ago - every single person in the 2 counties must have turned out plus another 750k from round the world ...

Back