A View From Behind Enemy Lines

So don revies cheating years in the 60s means that the kids that go to see Leeds now are more inclined to make a good atmosphere than Sunderland fans who only win the cup in 73.

1.5 million fans turning out was excellent 👍 Wearside and county Durham only have a combined population of about 1 mil now, so would be far less 50 years ago - every single person in the 2 counties must have turned out plus another 750k from round the world ...
Where were you on Tuesday 8/5/73 ?
How can you insult those magnificent people who turned out that night irrespective of where they were from.
This sounds typical of someone who thinks our support is only from Sunderland.
Think Scottish Borders and Berwickshire. Cumberland and Westmorland, Northumberland, Co Durham, North Yorkshire where the crowds started , South Tyneside, Sunderland, Hartlepool and Billingham
Plus those living in exile, like you and me , particularly in the coalfields of U.K. who had to move away.
How did Sunderland Seafront attract millions to the Airshow and not as momentous as us winning the Cup which is still celebrated to this day.

How can you insult those magnificent people who turned out that night irrespective of where they were from.
Think Scottish Borders and Berwickshire. Cumberland and Westmorland, Northumberland, Co Durham, North Yorkshire where the crowds started , South Tyneside, Sunderland, Hartlepool and Billingham
Plus those living in exile, like you and me , particularly in the coalfields of U.K. who had to move away.
How did Sunderland Seafront attract millions to the Airshow and not as momentous as us winning the Cup which is still celebrated to this day.
There is no way there was 1.5 million people there.
This says up to 500k , which seems more realistic (and is still a great number)
That's not being insulting saying I think you're being hyperbolic (and a bit hypercritical talking about us against Leeds)

Last edited:
As mentioned elsewhere, I sat in the Leeds end tonight, 3 rows back from our dugout. Interesting seeing Dodds and the staff up close.

Dodds very frustrated throughout, turning round and visibly swearing at every loose ball before f***ing about with his iPad on the tripod.

Was on Pembele, Bellingham and Ekwah constantly. Him and Proctor seemed to be coaching Pembele through the game.

Lot of encouragement for Rigg too. ‘More intensity’ repeated a lot.

Initially thought he looked quite immature in his approach by comparison to Farke who seemed much more composed. However, he was visibly making tweaks to positioning all the way through the first half in particular, moving Rigg out wider, then giving him the go ahead to get tighter in and around Bellingham.

Clearly a good tactician in there as evidenced by the result but his gut reaction to any mistakes seems to be to blow up, which can’t be good for the players and is a stark difference to the encouragement of Mowbray.

As a side note, Leeds fans were absolutely awful, not a peep from them and many round me booed them off in both halves. Top marks to the bloke behind me who broke the silence in the first half with a lousy ‘fuck off Farke you fat lazy ****’
When I played football (at an extremely low level) I absolutely could not stand managers or fellow players going on like that.
Shouting constantly MOVE UP, MOVE BACK, GO WIDE, WATCH HIM, HOLD, HOLD, HOLD.
Sod off! Let people play and if they need encouragement or berating do it when necessary.
Most were total gobshites who knew no more or played any better than anyone else.

As mentioned elsewhere, I sat in the Leeds end tonight, 3 rows back from our dugout. Interesting seeing Dodds and the staff up close.

Dodds very frustrated throughout, turning round and visibly swearing at every loose ball before f***ing about with his iPad on the tripod.

Was on Pembele, Bellingham and Ekwah constantly. Him and Proctor seemed to be coaching Pembele through the game.

Initially thought he looked quite immature in his approach by comparison to Farke who seemed much more composed. However, he was visibly making tweaks to positioning all the way through the first half in particular, moving Rigg out wider, then giving him the go ahead to get tighter in and around Bellingham.

Clearly a good tactician in there as evidenced by the result but his gut reaction to any mistakes seems to be to blow up, which can’t be good for the players and is a stark difference to the encouragement of Mowbray.

As a side note, Leeds fans were absolutely awful, not a peep from them and many round me booed them off in both halves. Top marks to the bloke behind me who broke the silence in the first half with a lousy ‘fuck off Farke you fat lazy ****’
Clearly a good tactician 😂😂😂😂

There is no way there was 1.5 million people there.
This says up to 500k , which seems more realistic (and is still a great number)
That's not being insulting saying I think you're being hyperbolic (and a bit hypercritical talking about us against Leeds)
It was the Police who gave that figure presumably information from different forces. This is a journalist probably guessing from wherever he was situated.
You didn’t say where you were that night?

Last edited:

Good post this.
Still not sure about him but it could be argued he's been left with a shit hand.

Should have sat behind him at Blackburn other week.
Wonder what he was saying then?

I doubt 2.5% of the UK population were in Sunderland that day

Around 6 years ago I was sat a few rows behind the dugouts at the SOL. I spent the whole game watching Ian Holloway. Was fascinating how he went on.

The way i see Dodds is he is a good tactician against sides who are expected to beat us.

We done well x2 against Leeds and against west brom. You can argue we should have got a point at home to leicester considering we were dominant in the 2nd half and even showed glimpses in the norwich and southampton games.

Where he is clearly lacking is against sides who we should be beating, we are open defensively.

ER wouldn't be rocking if they'd had our season.
What's ER? The Yank equivalent of A & E?🤔
The way i see Dodds is he is a good tactician against sides who are expected to beat us.

We done well x2 against Leeds and against west brom. You can argue we should have got a point at home to leicester considering we were dominant in the 2nd half and even showed glimpses in the norwich and southampton games.

Where he is clearly lacking is against sides who we should be beating, we are open defensively.
Done well. Ha'way man!🙈

Last edited:

Back