A stupid gamble on evil machines....

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have changed my view of these machines in recent years.
I was more or less addicted to Bellas when I was a kid and every penny went in. I still remember winning jackpots and the joy I used to get out of nailing a feature. I grew out of it when I discovered lager.
Always thought it was down to the individual and we dont need the government to tell us what to do. However these games seem to give no joy. Even people who win use the proceeds to play for longer.
Need limits on the High Street I'm afraid.

it's a (semi) sanitised form of self-harming

Last edited:
Hopefully, the stakes will be significantly reduced in October when there is a review. Or better still they will be banned altogether, although I can't see that happening. And it's not just the FOTBs that needs to be restricted, it's online stuff also. Anyone can log in to an online account and do everything they have in a matter of hours playing slots, blackjack, etc.

The thing is the bookies are fine with you bankrupting yourself, but if you show any sign you know what you are doing with regular gambling on sports they restrict you to penny stakes.

They currently have the best of both worlds by banning/restricting winners and letting losers continue to lose, and something needs to change.

mall fraction of what id gamble away but I've managed to save a small fortune by comparison to what I had before I stopped.
We've managed to buy a house, have holidays. I can treat my wife to flowers and meals and days out, where before I could barely feed myself without relying on her and others.

Oh, and I'm sat in McDonald's writing this, and a lass has just called her 2 daughters over to a table, they can only be about 8 years old at most, their names..... Pepsi & Shirley!!!!!

Cheered me up no end has that.

Shirley??

Hopefully, the stakes will be significantly reduced in October when there is a review. Or better still they will be banned altogether, although I can't see that happening. And it's not just the FOTBs that needs to be restricted, it's online stuff also. Anyone can log in to an online account and do everything they have in a matter of hours playing slots, blackjack, etc.

The thing is the bookies are fine with you bankrupting yourself, but if you show any sign you know what you are doing with regular gambling on sports they restrict you to penny stakes.

They currently have the best of both worlds by banning/restricting winners and letting losers continue to lose, and something needs to change.

The online stuff really is horrendous mind. Have a mate who's watching youtube videos of guys playing £500 a spin on bookies websites & is convinced he can do the same with no repercussions.

I keep telling him it's a slippery slope & to think of what he's actually doing, but he's adamant he's enjoying it whether he wins or loses (i personally think he's doing it as a conversation piece as he's dull as fuck - but that's a different matter entirely :p)

Last edited:
Shirley??

The online stuff really is horrendous mind. Have a mate who's watching youtube videos of guys playing £500 a spin on bookies websites & is convinced he can do the same with no repercussions.

I keep telling him it's a slippery slope & to think of what he's actually doing, but he's adamant he's enjoying it whether he wins or loses (i personally think he's doing it as a conversation piece as he's dull as fuck - but that's a different matter entirely :p)

I bet you those spins are on "try it" mode and not for real cash

It was never about a big win for me. The ones I did see never materialised as I'd gambled them away before withdrawing a penny.

I gambled so much and often it became a habit. If I had my phone in my hand, I was gambling. Wether it be on the sofa, in bed, at work or on the pot. It was too easy. I stopped even caring about playing the online slots, I'd just put money into my account, set it away on auto spin and go about my business. Come back a while later and see if I was up or down, if I was up, that meant more spins, never more money for my bank account, if I was down, then more money went In, not to chase my losses so much, but to let me continue my habit. Its an overwhelming urge that just comes over me, one I'm keeping under control right now but it's still there.

I have to distract myself. Think of my family. Think of my son, turn off my phone, go for a walk without it or wallet til the urge passes.

I've self excluded from every account I've ever had, so fortunately there wouldn't be a quick way to put an online bet on.

I've tried gambling counselling with Necca in Sunderland, counselling for my mental health with the NHS and gamblers anonymous meetings in Newcastle. There's no quick fix, and like any addiction, you have to want to beat it.

Now, whenever I get the urge, I log into my online banking instead and transfer £5 into my savings account, a small fraction of what id gamble away but I've managed to save a small fortune by comparison to what I had before I stopped.
We've managed to buy a house, have holidays. I can treat my wife to flowers and meals and days out, where before I could barely feed myself without relying on her and others.

Oh, and I'm sat in McDonald's writing this, and a lass has just called her 2 daughters over to a table, they can only be about 8 years old at most, their names..... Pepsi & Shirley!!!!!

Cheered me up no end has that.
Keep it up. You're doing the right thing by fully excluding and I'd suggest local bookies as well. I knew a few people that struggled with these machines when I worked in shops. They would be in control for days, then have £20 in the roulette... Win and then start again until they lost more than they could afford. A few wanted to exclude from machines only, but at the time they couldn't....not sure how if they could now, but the gambling act early 00s didn't do much for people addicted to machines.

It obviously remains to be seen. I never go on them but the statistics speak for themselves.
me either, in fact Gambling is only a once in a blue moon thing with me but its as bad as crack with some folks.I know how ridiculous that sounds but I have seen it first hand but with these fixed odds things and the bandits as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back