A new Civic Centre and Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s the best idea and I don’t know why they didn’t opt for this ages ago , the last time I went in the civic centre was about ten years ago ad it was dropping to bits then .

Isn’t that the point of metro stations?

The point of Metro stations is that they provide easy access for the disabled and elderly, and in practice they are always built with straight platforms so that the driver can have a clear view back down the platform. The point of Sunderland station is that it allows cross platform interchange on the level between heavy rail and Metro. The curve between Sunderland station and Park Lane is well, a curve and is on a steep gradient so it cannot have a straight platform. It would be farcical to expect people to hump luggage or wheelchairs between a "new" station and Park Lane.

Here we go, damned if you do, damned if you don’t.
He’s right though!

If they really wanted to improve the city and restore some pride.

In the exact same location, rebuild a replica (to plan) of the town hall, with obvious mod cons, to act as the power base of the local council and the place which the councillors live when in town and the council chamber. Also it could be a base for the local Mp’s to use. Place minimal services in there, say just weddings and stuff.

Then build a purpose built office block for the rest of the staff/services and the chief executive to reside in, on the vaux site.

I’d pull down St. Mary’s carpark and build it right on the corner.

Last edited:
It’ll end up council building only imo. Can’t see how the line could get easily to Vaux without a fuck ton of cash and dirt moved.

It doesnt say train station on vaux. Just a new one. Possibly at park lane / bottom of civic car park

He’s right though!

In the exact same location, rebuild a replica (to plan) of the town hall, with obvious mod cons, to act as the power base of the local council and the place which the councillors live when in town and the council chamber. Also it could be a base for the local Mp’s to use. Place minimal services in there, say just weddings and stuff.

Then build a purpose built office block for the rest of the staff/services and the chief executive to reside in, on the vaux site.

Which would cost far more money & people would just moan more about wasting cash. It doesnt really make sense to have one building for councillors & another for employees

He’s right though!

Where the fuck do you think the councillors live? In timbuktu or something?

It doesnt say train station on vaux. Just a new one. Possibly at park lane / bottom of civic car park

Which would cost far more money & people would just moan more about wasting cash. It doesnt really make sense to have one building for councillors & another for employees
Ahhhhhhhhh right. That omnishambles of a website kept crashing. Ta.

He’s right though!

You’re being silly.

What a total waste of a prime development site (vaux). That whole site should have been a mixed development of flats, bars, offices. Not simply moving the council offices. I can't imagine Newcastle council or gateshead council moving there's to quayside or next to sage
Moving lots of decent paid jobs into an area of development makes complete sense actually as the other business will follow. The council cant make people develop flats bar and offices as much as you think they can.

From what I have seen the developers seem to know what they are doing.

What a total waste of a prime development site (vaux). That whole site should have been a mixed development of flats, bars, offices. Not simply moving the council offices. I can't imagine Newcastle council or gateshead council moving there's to quayside or next to sage

I can. As i mention on the whey eye thread, the quayside started with the courts. A civic building full of public servants.

The boot was right ,the Vaux site is one abortion of a development .Ill thought out to say the least .

I can't begin to describe how much of an embarrassment the train station is. About 10 years ago my cousin visiting from the Isle of Man for the first time and thought he got off in a bus station.

Of course, this is old news to me:-

"I was talking to someone who works for local government last night, admittedly in a bar, who told me the thing that's being built on the Vaux site will in fact be occupied by those currently in the Civic Centre and the site will eventually be it's replacement.

I thought it was meant to be bringing new businesses into the Town ?

Unbalanced Views, Oct 28, 2017"

The point of Metro stations is that they provide easy access for the disabled and elderly, and in practice they are always built with straight platforms so that the driver can have a clear view back down the platform. The point of Sunderland station is that it allows cross platform interchange on the level between heavy rail and Metro. The curve between Sunderland station and Park Lane is well, a curve and is on a steep gradient so it cannot have a straight platform. It would be farcical to expect people to hump luggage or wheelchairs between a "new" station and Park Lane.

Erm, nice little rant, but what does it have to do with either my post or the one that I quoted?

Of course, this is old news to me:-

"I was talking to someone who works for local government last night, admittedly in a bar, who told me the thing that's being built on the Vaux site will in fact be occupied by those currently in the Civic Centre and the site will eventually be it's replacement.

I thought it was meant to be bringing new businesses into the Town ?

Unbalanced Views, Oct 28, 2017"
Post #34. Beat you by two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back