A new Civic Centre and Railway Station

It sounds like an absurd splurging of money, probably to give them something to do. If they wanted to rebuild the railway station they should remove the shops above the current one and build it anew something along the pattern of what they originally intended for the Metro, which was to restore it to the original configuration with two "island platforms" giving 2 northbound platforms and 2 southbound.

Sounds like a good idea to me.
Yeah, nothing in there that doesn't make sense.

It sounds like an absurd splurging of money, probably to give them something to do. If they wanted to rebuild the railway station they should remove the shops above the current one and build it anew something along the pattern of what they originally intended for the Metro, which was to restore it to the original configuration with two "island platforms" giving 2 northbound platforms and 2 southbound.
With massive upheaval to property and businesses they don't own, splurging even more money.

I don't know about that, they be saving loads of money not having to keep a dilapidated building going like the civic centre going, the old train station will be converted into just a metro stop, while the cost of building a new train station will be part financed with the sell off of land around the current civic centre site with a mixed development of residential and commercial buildings.

Where could a new Railway Station be built? I cannot see anywhere in the City Centre so I would imagine any new station would have to be on the current site, as far as I am aware the space where the other island platform was is still there with that stupid so called art installation blocking it off so I would imagine there is plenty of space for development however no matter what they do with the station it will still look crap since they built the shops above. Any relocation without a direct interchange with the Metro would be a backward step IMO.

Didnt the Council pay over £20 million for the Vaux site for regeneration of the City Centre?? Expensive for a Civic Centre operation that has shrunk 40% in the last few years if you ask me.... Why not make more use of the Shackleton building, Empty and already built, central location and on a bus route, at a fraction of the cost??????????

I don't know about that, they be saving loads of money not having to keep a dilapidated building going like the civic centre going, the old train station will be converted into just a metro stop, while the cost of building a new train station will be part financed with the sell off of land around the current civic centre site with a mixed development of residential and commercial buildings.

It would be ridiculous to have a separate railway station and metro station since you would then have Park Lane metro , the new station and the metro station a few hundred yards away from each other.

We can't attract business in so we'll just move there ourselves. Great.

Actually does seem a good idea. That civic has to close soon. It was a mess when I worked there occasionally in the noughties. Keeping those workers central is key.

I would assume that land its on now would be sold for housing.
The civic isn't a nice building like. I like it in respect to it's architecturally a bit different and a great example of design from that time, but I bet it's shite to work in.

A move to the Vaux site will attract plenty of criticism for the reason you point out, but it's land they own and a new building would be at least part financed by the sale of the current site.

Back