A Judge with a Brain, finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surely the oap should have followed his Drs advice too, if any advice was given regarding driving in the first place, and if it wasn't, why wasn't it

What a random post. But yeah, and if the Doctor had advised him (dunno if he did, but if he did) to drive dangerously then why didn't the OAP get a second opinion instead of following orders. Also, if the OAPs neighbour advised him (again, no idea if he even spoke to his neighbours) to buy some different footwear, in case the cause was his feet slipping, then why didn't he?

Last edited:
What a random post. But yeah, and if the Doctor had advised him (dunno if he did, but if he did) to drive dangerously then why didn't the OAP get a second opinion instead of following orders. Also, if the OAPs neighbour advised him (again, no idea if he even spoke to his neighbours) to buy some different footwear, in case the cause was his feet slipping, then why didn't he?
Erm the Dr may well have advised him against driving, it's hardly a random post, just you being an idiot trying to get a reaction

Feet slip on pedals when wet all the time. The difference is probably that younger people can react quicker and rectify it before an accident occurs.
I’ve attended loads of old people in automatics involved in crashes. Several of them very close to where this happened as we lived in South Ruislip.
Surely the oap should have followed his Drs advice too, if any advice was given regarding driving in the first place, and if it wasn't, why wasn't it
The dr must have said he was ok to drive or his license wouldn’t have been renewed
They normally just press the wrong pedal and then panic from experience. It’s not intentional but it’s avoidable.

Last edited:
So he was handed a death sentence for an accident.

The issue here is elderly drivers who shouldn't be driving. When I first started driving I had my foot slip on the peddles because my shoes were wet so I make sure my shoes are dry now. I mean he may have been an excellent driver as my father was but we took his car keys away when he was in his late 70s.
Nail on head!!!

So he was handed a death sentence for an accident.

The issue here is elderly drivers who shouldn't be driving. When I first started driving I had my foot slip on the peddles because my shoes were wet so I make sure my shoes are dry now. I mean he may have been an excellent driver as my father was but we took his car keys away when he was in his late 70s.
It was an accident and can't see how prison helps anyone in this case. It's not the responsibility of anyone to take someone's keys away really. We should have a quick re-test every couple of years when we're older to make sure people are safe to drive. He shouldn't have been driving but I bet he was devastated.
A very sad case, it shouldn’t be down to doctor’s advice. A regular test at over 70 is needed.
A quick test every 5 years for everyone else as well. Not a big one, but just to show safe driving and awareness.

Last edited:
There are no winners for either family here.

However, just because it was an accident shouldn't mean that the driver should escape punishment regardless of his age/health.

The system should be changed and more people tested more regularly (of all ages). Cars are dangerous and driving is not an automatic right.

Needs to be a far more stringent system of testing for the elderly. The current system of reporting to DVLA for a medical is archaic. Once at 70 a new test should be taken every 3/5 yrs.

It was an accident and can't see how prison helps anyone in this case. It's not the responsibility of anyone to take someone's keys away really. We should have a quick re-test every couple of years when we're older to make sure people are safe to drive. He shouldn't have been driving but I bet he was devastated.

A quick test every 5 years for everyone else as well. Not a big one, but just to show safe driving and awareness.
Not sure it’s possible to test everyone every 5 years, would be interesting to know how many examiners this would need, as there would be retests for people who fail on top of this.

As big an issue is over confidence of young drivers. Maybe monitoring of drivers who are caught driving dangerously via these black boxes would be an alternative to retesting everyone.

An OAP accidentally killed a woman in a car park, allegedly by accelerating instead of braking.
If someone kills someone by driving dangerously in a supermarket car park is it accidental?
Also, if someone is found guilty I dont think allegedly is necessary.
Bloke should not have been driving.

Tragic all round, but justice had to be served imo. Sets a very dangerous precedent if you start letting people off due to age/health reasons and would leave the law open to abuse.

Not sure it’s possible to test everyone every 5 years, would be interesting to know how many examiners this would need, as there would be retests for people who fail on top of this.

As big an issue is over confidence of young drivers. Maybe monitoring of drivers who are caught driving dangerously via these black boxes would be an alternative to retesting everyone.
Not a bad idea regarding the boxes.

I'm not talking about another full test but a 15 minute competence test to root out obvious hazards.

Tragic all round, but justice had to be served imo. Sets a very dangerous precedent if you start letting people off due to age/health reasons and would leave the law open to abuse.
Do you think sending an 87 year old bloke to his death is justice ? what about refusing bail until an appeal is heard even though it would kill him ? judge got this very wrong and should at the very least step down.

Do you think sending an 87 year old bloke to his death is justice ? what about refusing bail until an appeal is heard even though it would kill him ? judge got this very wrong and should at the very least step down.
Seems to me, they are the only one with any nous.

If it’s just an eye sight and reactions test it could easily be done in a basic simulator.
Wouldn’t need qualified examiners as the computer would be able to do all the measurements.

Seems to me, they are the only one with any nous.

The judge went against the medical advice of a doctor and knowingly sent this man to prison to die there.

This is not a case to be celebrated one way or the other, it is sickening and shameful that you’d use this to gain attention for yourself on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back