A different viewpoint

I agree and obviously hope you’re right. I think if anyone else in the top five or six in this league had appointed Parkinson we’d all be saying I think he’ll do a decent job there, experienced no nonsense bloke who’s got a very good record at this level.

Because its our club and we’ve been used to attracting so called big name managers people are moaning on without even giving him anytime to make his mark on the squad.
Can I put another spin on this with regards to Phillips? If it were a top five or six team in this league, would any of them have him on their shortlist? Doubtful. However because he scored lots of goals here 20 years ago he’s the man in many peoples eyes to take us forward?

I’m not saying Parkinson will be shit or good, or whether the hypothetical Phillips appointment would have been a success or not, but fuck me, our supporters create these really strong opinions, especially on social media, a lot of the time based on nowt, somebody else reads it & takes it as some kind of rule.

Can I put another spin on this with regards to Phillips? If it were a top five or six team in this league, would any of them have him on their shortlist? Doubtful. However because he scored lots of goals here 20 years ago he’s the man in many peoples eyes to take us forward?

I’m not saying Parkinson will be shit or good, or whether the hypothetical Phillips appointment would have been a success or not, but fuck me, our supporters create these really strong opinions, especially on social media, a lot of the time based on nowt, somebody else reads it & takes it as some kind of rule.
Fuck me what a post!

The football under Ross made my eyes bleed. Plus no plan B. Weird substitutions. Not knowing his best side for large chunks of his tenure. The list goes on. Likeable bloke but hey, so was Chris Coleman.
Exactly. Hoping Parkinson’s appointment will at least lead to us seeing abit of defensive competence

I didn’t expect Phillips to be appointed. From the outset Donald said his criteria was someone with experience at this level of management, preferably with a record of success. Phillips would have been appointed purely on sentiment and that rarely works.

Of all the realist candidates (discounting fanciful suggestions like Allardyce, Hughton etc) we were allegedly refused permission to speak with Robins and Cook so that left Ainsworth, Stendel and Parkinson.

They supposedly spoke to Stendel and weren’t convinced he was ready to go straight back into management.

Compared to the other two Parkinson’s record of achievement at L1 level stands out and from a purely logical point of view you can understand why he’s been appointed.

Last edited:
I reckon Parkie’s gonna do alright. Think a few fans will be eating their words come Christmas :cool:
Wasn't my first choice but he's here now so I'm in.
Dust down the magic carpet and all aboard for #Parkiespromotionparty
Bit quiet here now but book early. Standing room only by Christmas :)

People just need to stop soiling themselves. Stick some adult pants on and lets see how it goes....the blokes been in charge for a matter of hours and it's the end of the f***ing world on here.

All Parkinson really needs to do is get the basics right and not and over think the league we're in, like Ross did......parkinson has been in this league a few times, hes experienced enough to not shit himself, and he'll see this as a huge opportunity.

No pitch forks here, just an open mind and fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that PP is just going to come in & put round pegs in round holes.

Part of the reason we looked so slow and ponderous was because half of the team had no idea what they were meant to be doing.

Our squad has good players in it, they just didn't suit whatever system it was Ross was trying to play.

Wasn't my first choice but he's here now so I'm in.
Dust down the magic carpet and all aboard for #Parkiespromotionparty
Bit quiet here now but book early. Standing room only by Christmas :)

I think there was a general sense of shock when Parkinson's name cropped up. Now that has worn off the logic in appointing PP becomes clearer.
He does know this division and has succeeded there. It is an uninspiring appointment but it might just be the right one. He came across as a sensible, sound fellow in his first press conference. It's not exciting as Stendel would have been but Parkinson will be a steady hand on the tiller. I think he's going to steer us to promotion this season.

I'm hoping that PP is just going to come in & put round pegs in round holes.

Part of the reason we looked so slow and ponderous was because half of the team had no idea what they were meant to be doing.

Our squad has good players in it, they just didn't suit whatever system it was Ross was trying to play.

and that we have slow and ponderous players

I hope he does great, however it shouldn't distract from the unbelievable and ongoing miss-management of all football operations by the people who unfortunately own us. They are two separate issues and PP is only one of the symptoms of that, hopefully he isn't engulfed in the myriad of nonsense that surrounds him and he can pull it off.

Good luck to him.

Back