84% OPPOSE The Hundred

It’s one of the most absurd preposterous things that’s ever been put forward.
So we have a form of cricket that is popular and you bowl 120 deliveries.
So we’ll invent another in which you bowl a 100 deliveries.

I had a ticket for one of the Hundred games in the summer and was prepared to give it a go. Of course it wasn't "proper cricket" but any excuse for a few hours of cricket on a summer's evening with a few beers can't be that bad, can it?

Everyone was cynical about Twenty20 when it was launched but now has become an established form of the game and has threatened the 50-over game as being the main shorter format. Personally, I would have relaunched the English T20 competition to compete more with the IPL and BBL.

I think I would draw the line at the T10 format. Pop for a beer and you'd miss half of the innings.

T10 has a purpose in spreading the game in new countries.

All of us in cricket playing countries have seen the game go from Timeless tests to 5 day tests to 50 over one day matches to 20 over matches.

What's happening in other countries who are just getting into cricket is the reverse. They start off really short because it's the least confusing way to introduce the game and hopefully over time it becomes more popular and they expand to the longer formats.

T10 has a purpose in spreading the game in new countries.

All of us in cricket playing countries have seen the game go from Timeless tests to 5 day tests to 50 over one day matches to 20 over matches.

What's happening in other countries who are just getting into cricket is the reverse. They start off really short because it's the least confusing way to introduce the game and hopefully over time it becomes more popular and they expand to the longer formats.

Yeah I think you right the game needs to evolve and keep evolving to attract new people and new audiences which in turn will make longer formats more popular, you can’t just bury you head in the sand and hope people will always be interested in cricket.

However saying that T10 going too far in that direction for my liking, it’s all about getting the right balance between short formats and longer ones.

Hopefully the hundred can be a success and bringing them new audiences into the game, not sure it will though as clearly too many are against it as the title of thread stats confirms.

Yeah I think you right the game needs to evolve and keep evolving to attract new people and new audiences which in turn will make longer formats more popular, you can’t just bury you head in the sand and hope people will always be interested in cricket.

However saying that T10 going too far in that direction for my liking, it’s all about getting the right balance between short formats and longer ones.

Hopefully the hundred can be a success and bringing them new audiences into the game, not sure it will though as clearly too many are against it as the title of thread stats confirms.

Interesting.

So 100 is fine but 60 isn't, so where is your line? 75? 90?

Interesting.

So 100 is fine but 60 isn't, so where is your line? 75? 90?

Well it’s trying to get that right balance, prefer T20 myself to the hundred for them reasons, but want to see how it goes first?

100 may be too short, but want to see how it goes first before righting it off as too short.

Back