7D Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 is semi-pro
60 is enthusiast
600 loves their cat and pretty flowers.
1100 is basically a bridge, although pure dslr

1dx is pro, there is another level above, medium format, which Canon are not involved in.

So on your logic (which agrees with mine ie the less noughts after the first digit the better the camera in that range)
is
7 semi-pro
70 is enthusiast
700 loves their cat and pretty flowers

is the five range better than the 6?
is the 6 range better than the 7?
why doesn't anyone use the 3 range?

I know 1 is the best - isn't it? (in the number series range)

So many questions.

As most on here seem to be canon fans, can anyone explain the logic of the numbers?

As I understand it the
6 is top end professional
60 is professional
600 is a good camera, just cheaper build quality and a few less functions

but how and where do the 7/70/700 range fit in and the 5/50/500 range?

And is the 1 still the be all and have all?

And where does the rarely mentioned 3 range fit in?

(I understand mark i mark ii and mark iii etc just being updated tweaked versions)

6D isn't a top end body, its basically for centre and recompose heathens who like to talk about how they own a 'full frame body' without actually any reason to own a full frame camera... They like to talk about how weddings are easy and they don't do them because they don't have time, but it'd be dead easy and they'd be mint haha bite ya bastards!

Anything that ends in 50 i.e. 450, 550, 650 is what people think is all they need to be a pro tog, but in fact is barely anything other than a entry level DSLR with video (except the 450 which doesn't have that function). These are the camera's people use to shoot friends weddings as it'll save them paying for a photographer, and then every shot above ISO400 looks like it's been taken in a heavy snow blizzard. These people generally tell you how they DO shoot weddings and then go on to show you the photos whilst you try and smile and not say anything bad about their work. They also like to set up their own facebook photography page with colour popping and pics of out of focus flowers taken with their f/1.8 'nifty fifty'.

7D is for people who have a vague understanding of what it takes to shoot a wedding, and then realises that it's actually pretty shit and they should have bought a better camera... it's the kind of camera owned by 'pixel peepers' who can often be found on internet forums with 5000% zoomed screen shots showing noise and bemoaning how Canon failed them with their 'too many pixels on a crop sensor attitude'. They also love and I mean LOVE wirewool painting, orbs and HDR pics of Durham's bridge or catherdral.

5D (I, II & III) is what most pro's use. They are awesome, especially those who use the Mark III as they are also really handsome

1D series - hardcore pro's who like the 'build quality' and have usually been shooting since the film days. They love the weather sealing and read the daily sport for it's 'news'.

So on your logic (which agrees with mine ie the less noughts after the first digit the better the camera in that range)
is
7 semi-pro
70 is enthusiast
700 loves their cat and pretty flowers

is the five range better than the 6?
is the 6 range better than the 7?
why doesn't anyone use the 3 range?

I know 1 is the best - isn't it? (in the number series range)

So many questions.

yup. It's pretty hazy though.. but as a rule of thumb the above is correct. the smaller the number correlates to the perceived quality of the camera. Another rule of thumb is to ignore Andy btw, he's not really got a clue.

Should add though that some ranges have features not present in others like the 6d has wifi & GPS, the 600d has built in HDR processing ect.

Last edited by a moderator:
yup. It's pretty hazy though.. but as a rule of thumb the above is correct. the smaller the number correlates to the perceived quality of the camera. Another rule of thumb is to ignore Andy btw, he's not really got a clue.Should add though that some ranges have features not present in others like the 6d has wifi & GPS, the 600d has built in HDR processing ect.

:lol:

:lol: :lol: @ ajax_andy's post

and yes, generally the less digits the more expensive and supposedly better.

Funny thing is I have a 6D, 5D MKIII, a 7D and used to own a 450D so I'm all of those descriptions combined :lol:

But yeah by and large the lower the number the better but only if its a single digit... If it has a 0 or 50 after the 1st digit then it's an entry level or mid range amateur camera I.e 40D, 650D etc etc

It's slightly more complicated than that but yeah as a rule of thumb lower = pro-er

If it has a 0 or 50 after the 1st digit then it's an entry level or mid range amateur camera I.e 40D, 650D etc etc

:evil: You swine, you mean you sold me a mid range amateur camera (40D) and I'm using it professionally :oops:

(I am also hammering a 550D, and that is the one that earns me the most money)

Oddly enough, the one body I have that falls into the pro bracket by those definitions is the 7D I recently got - and I haven't used that professionally yet ! Although it is likely to replace the 40D. The only area it performs worse is higher noise and as most of the stuff I do is off a tripod and doesn't move I can drop the ISO right down.

Back on subject, the 2nd hand price of the 7D Mk I is sure to fall as the market gets flooded with them, but the new price has already taken a tumble which is why I took the plunge. I can see the street price of the MK II being double what the MK I currently is.

Assuming the focusing system similar and they beef it up with a newer processor and better sensor it has potential to be a great camera.

Last edited:
:evil: You swine, you mean you sold me a mid range amateur camera (40D) and I'm using it professionally :oops:

(I am also hammering a 550D, and that is the one that earns me the most money)

Oddly enough, the one body I have that falls into the pro bracket by those definitions is the 7D I recently got - and I haven't used that professionally yet ! Although it is likely to replace the 40D. The only area it performs worse is higher noise and as most of the stuff I do is off a tripod and doesn't move I can drop the ISO right down.

Back on subject, the 2nd hand price of the 7D Mk I is sure to fall as the market gets flooded with them, but the new price has already taken a tumble which is why I took the plunge. I can see the street price of the MK II being double what the MK I currently is.

Assuming the focusing system similar and they beef it up with a newer processor and better sensor it has potential to be a great camera.

Oh yeah I had a 40D! Fuck me I buy too many cameras :lol:

It'll be interesting to see what the 7D MKII brings but I'd be surprised if the ISO performance is much better as canon won't want to make the 6D redundant just after they've released it, and won't want great AF + great high ISO performance at half the price if the 5D MKIII, so not sure what they'll come up with to make people upgrade to it

Oh yeah I had a 40D! Fuck me I buy too many cameras :lol:

It'll be interesting to see what the 7D MKII brings but I'd be surprised if the ISO performance is much better as canon won't want to make the 6D redundant just after they've released it, and won't want great AF + great high ISO performance at half the price if the 5D MKIII, so not sure what they'll come up with to make people upgrade to it
it'll be a mk 1 with wi-fi and GPS :lol:

You could well be right there.

The speed and focusing are brilliant now, so if they could get some of the advances they have made on the full frame sensors into an APS one it would be amazing.

Actually having just recently got the MKI, I would be delighted if they don't do this!

I had a go with the Wi-Fi / EOS app the other day.. canny impressive tech, but what is the point of it? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back