72 Pictures taken this morning..

Status
Not open for further replies.
... and probably ony one worth the effort :evil:

For some reason my focusing managed to wander just of the subject (out for a walk with the dogs). Yes.. I know its probably me.. but that must be one of the most frustrating mornings of snaps ever... I did manage to grsb a lovely shot of an old VW Camper... :neutral:

Thankful for the digital age.. every photo I seemed to take my focus seemed to just miss... despite my AF point being where I wanted it (hints?)

Heres the VW... not usually the sort of thing I take pictures of but it was such a clean example and Id love one myself.

Logon or register to see this image

Not sure whether it needs a crop (the post to the right is distracting)

Last edited:
So that was you at South Shields today then.

:lol: Be a bloody good surfer to hang ten all the way up from Kent

Cracking photo that mind

This is more or less what I was after (rather than the VW), although Ive really had to heavily sharpen her eyes/muzzle on both... I should of ran with f6-8 really but it looks canny enough... just starting to mess around with 'shopping' the lead out, I might be able to do the harness but there's far too much of her chest to sort out

What mode are you shooting in? And are you using a single AF focus point or multiple?

Hi Roger, Ive just moved into using manual mode. Im using single focus point with one shot AF. Its a 500D so Im limited with multiple point focusing.
I suppose the only option I have is to use AI Servo? but then she wasnt really moving that much so the focus should have remained locked on her head and not the grass

I'd always use one-shot for a static subject, so I am with you on that, servo is for a moving target.

Are you using full manual then? I'd rely on the camera to set the exposure (tweaked if necessary using Av+/-) and work in Av mode.

I think the standard advice is to focus on the eyes, but if you then want the rest of the dog to be in focus you would have to set an appropriate aperture.

There are plenty free Smartphone Apps available these days which do DoF calculations (I use an android one called DoF calculator) where you put your camera type, focal length, subject distance and Aperture in and it will give you the near and far focus limits. It can be very useful setting things up.

I'd always use one-shot for a static subject, so I am with you on that, servo is for a moving target.

Are you using full manual then? I'd rely on the camera to set the exposure (tweaked if necessary using Av+/-) and work in Av mode.

I think the standard advice is to focus on the eyes, but if you then want the rest of the dog to be in focus you would have to set an appropriate aperture.

There are plenty free Smartphone Apps available these days which do DoF calculations (I use an android one called DoF calculator) where you put your camera type, focal length, subject distance and Aperture in and it will give you the near and far focus limits. It can be very useful setting things up.

Yeah full manual. Maybes a step too far just yet, but I get better results on my still photography in manual (buts thats a personal opinion).
I may try AV as long as it doesnt mess around too much with my ISO as Ive noticed before that its used too high an ISO giving a grainier shot.

Totally agree with the eyes, hence why I choose low f4 stop rather than say f8 and above. This is what's confusing me somewhat, given I did initially focus on the eyes.. or is it my eyes that are the problem? :lol:

Ill have a look into the app Roger cheers, I thought there might be something out there to help with this.

hoy up your exif settings for those images marra.

Chances are your DOF is not ideal for taking such images - consider a slower shutter speed / higher ISO and step your aperture down to summit like f/7.2.

I've done it me self, set M up for indoor shots and had it wide open, and forgot to revert for outdoors and messed up a bunch of shots.

I'm tispy like but your images look ok to me mate :confused:

hoy up your exif settings for those images marra.

Chances are your DOF is not ideal for taking such images - consider a slower shutter speed / higher ISO and step your aperture down to summit like f/7.2.

I've done it me self, set M up for indoor shots and had it wide open, and forgot to revert for outdoors and messed up a bunch of shots.

I'm tispy like but your images look ok to me mate :confused:

brief Exif...for both pics of Lola

manual
ISO 200
1/90
f4.5 (should be higher)
Distance 9.1m
145mm

Correct me if Im wrong.. but using the DOF calculator Im sitting pretty perfect?

Last edited:
brief Exif...for both pics of Lola

manual
ISO 200
1/90
f4.5 (should be higher)
Distance 9.1m
145mm

not DOF mate, that's about half a meter thick.

aye, seen edit - settings are perfect marra.

Last edited by a moderator:
not DOF mate, that's about half a meter thick.

aye, seen edit - settings are perfect marra.

I dunno.. I may be looking too much for perfection. Or am I expecting either too much from me? my camera? or my lens? (or all three)

Looking at the picture (not 100%) it does look fine. Im probably looking for perfect sharpness of image on the 100% and 200% crop as I know I can get a sharper capture

I may try AV as long as it doesnt mess around too much with my ISO as Ive noticed before that its used too high an ISO giving a grainier shot.

Av shouldn't be touching your ISO, it should stay whatever you set it to.

1/90th is pushing it with a 145mm lens assuming handheld and no IS (I am guessing here) and also pushing it with a moving subject, personally I would probably push the ISO to 400 in those conditions which would let you have a faster shutter and/or smaller aperture. Yep DoF calculations look pretty much ideal for what you did, although that photo looks to be slightly front-focussed to me, look at the grass in front and it is all sharp, the grass at the back of the dog looks softer by comparison.

I agree with ayesane mind it isn't a bad picture and I'm sober!

Looking at the picture (not 100%) it does look fine. Im probably looking for perfect sharpness of image on the 100% and 200% crop as I know I can get a sharper capture

Pixel peeping! It won't be perfectly sharp at 100% with your kit.

Roger has nailed it, pleased I was to slow to reply. :lol:

I'd consider a shorter focal length & AI servo; everything else is fine. You can get tak sharpe @ 100% with the kit you're interested in like.. ;)

100% crop of a 21mpx RAW image, only increased the exp. Could get much sharper after manipulation.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77819198/IMG_2656-Edit-3.jpg (for reference)

Last edited by a moderator:
Av shouldn't be touching your ISO, it should stay whatever you set it to.

1/90th is pushing it with a 145mm lens assuming handheld and no IS (I am guessing here) and also pushing it with a moving subject, personally I would probably push the ISO to 400 in those conditions which would let you have a faster shutter and/or smaller aperture. Yep DoF calculations look pretty much ideal for what you did, although that photo looks to be slightly front-focussed to me, look at the grass in front and it is all sharp, the grass at the back of the dog looks softer by comparison.

I agree with ayesane mind it isn't a bad picture and I'm sober!

Pixel peeping! It won't be perfectly sharp at 100% with your kit.

Yeah it was handheld but with IS.. Totally agree on the 400 setting, I think I was trying to push far too much for image sharpness. The front focussing I totally agree with too... seemed to do that on a number of shots actually Roger. I must have been having one of those days.

Kit wise.. yeah.. but I try not to blame my tools (too much). A nice L lens and a 7d might have made it look 100 times better ;)

Roger has nailed it, pleased I was to slow to reply. :lol:

I'd consider a shorter focal length & AI servo; everything else is fine. You can get tak sharpe @ 100% with the kit you're interested in like.. ;)

You sell that 7d!! :lol:

I sort of mentioned that in my last post funnily enough

Yeah it was handheld but with IS.. Totally agree on the 400 setting, I think I was trying to push far too much for image sharpness. The front focussing I totally agree with too... seemed to do that on a number of shots actually Roger. I must have been having one of those days.

Kit wise.. yeah.. but I try not to blame my tools (too much). A nice L lens and a 7d might have made it look 100 times better ;)

You sell that 7d!! :lol:

I sort of mentioned that in my last post funnily enough

a 50mm prime (f/1.8 is fine BUT f/1.4 blows it away) would be a huge increase in sharpness for your doggy shots. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back