5th test the oval

I don’t but unless you were around then, you would realise how great a series that was

this recent one was a comedy of errors with a few outstanding incidents

2005 was the top for me, followed by 81 and 85

Great

I didnt realise my opinion of what my favourite ever series was could be wrong.

Thanks for explaining what I am allowed to enjoy and not enjoy. I will make sure to run all my internal thoughts past you in future.

Great

I didnt realise my opinion of what my favourite ever series was could be wrong.

Thanks for explaining what I am allowed to enjoy and not enjoy. I will make sure to run all my internal thoughts past you in future.
You are not wrong at all

all I asked was were you alive in 81 or 85 ? Those two series were superior to this recent one

it’s ok be confident
Because we won perchance?
Yes but the standards were higher

Personally for me been over 50 and seen nearly every series going back 45 years.

Think this series has been the best for entertainment value as the games been so close and so many ebbs and flows.

2005 best achievement simply because Australia had a hell of a test side one of the best ever.

Sky had stats up saying that you might get 1 game where the margin of victory is either 3 wickets or less or like 60 runs or less.....once in like 6 tests or something

we had 4 out of 5 tests, ridiculous, cant ever remember a series like that, never mind an Ashes series.

Where has this narrative come from that it was poor quality but exiciting cricket? Was cricket of the absolute highest standard by world class players.

Gutted its over..was so so good.

Personally for me been over 50 and seen nearly every series going back 45 years.

Think this series has been the best for entertainment value as the games been so close and so many ebbs and flows.

2005 best achievement simply because Australia had a hell of a test side one of the best ever.
Nowt wrong with that , but I feel the 80s and 2005 were superior

As Nasser and Athers said on Sky, the standard of everything in cricket is absolutely no comparison to what it was in the 80s/70s.

Its like a different sport.
Their opinion but some of the all time great in cricket played in the 70s and 80s and were not cosseted by central contracts and not bothering to play county cricket

windies of the 70s and 80s no good ?

i dont know why I bother with you as you are a bit blinkered

that’s my finish
Depends which angle you coming from mate

Imo I think your right in terms of achievement, but in terms of entertainment value think this last one the best.

In that makes sense:D
I will never cease to be in awe of botham and Willis in 81 and the 2005 was THE SERIES OF ALL TIME

this recently finished one was entertaining no doubt about that but that was mainly because both teams were inept at times and very equal

anyway , that my whack

Last edited:
Their opinion but some of the all time great in cricket played in the 70s and 80s and were not cosseted by central contracts and not bothering to play county cricket

windies of the 70s and 80s no good ?

i dint know why I bother with you as you are a bit blinkered

that’s my finish

I think if you look up a definition of blinkered in the dictionary then its a piture of you like.

Not saying not allowed not to enjoy 81 more, but this idea the standard was higher. no chance.

players can do things now that players in those days could only dream up, its just the reality I am afraid.

its not to diminish the names at the time. its the same with football, no comparison in terms of athleticsm and the things they can do...but thats not the players of the time's fault

Nice to see the cricket chat as pleasant as ever.

It was a great series to watch, was it the best that's open to opinion.

Are the older teams as good as today's teams, again open to opinion, but to suggest the West Indian fast bowling attack years gone by wasn't legendary is frankly insane

I think if you look up a definition of blinkered in the dictionary then its a piture of you like.

Not saying not allowed not to enjoy 81 more, but this idea the standard was higher. no chance.

players can do things now that players in those days could only dream up, its just the reality I am afraid.

its not to diminish the names at the time. its the same with football, no comparison in terms of athleticsm and the things they can do...but thats not the players of the time's fault
:lol:

piture of me

giv ower man. You were not alive so you simply can’t know the impact botham had in 81 when Brearley took over

you also ignore the point re central contracts . The lads back then were playing for their counties the next day after a test finished

now the likes of wood will be on holiday until october

it’s fine that you have a belief and I have one that’s different . That’s just life , now I’ve given you comment but no more, it’s too tiring

The whole things were better then/now is a nonsense spouted in every sport.
I understand that

it’s all opinion but to right off the 70 and 80s is laughable. That period had a lot of the all time great players in test cricket

this recent series , possibly 4 all time greats . Smith , Root , Anderson and Broad

the rest were pretty even and their career stats show this . Labuschagne has potential to maybe approach an elite level but he needs to show this over a longer period

anyway , it’s over now

You strive to be the best in your time, best ever is generally opinions and so hard to quantify.
I'm not sure Bradman would have averaged nearly 100 against that West Indies attack for example.

Back