5th test the oval

Pointless exercise now really isn't it?

Shame there was the opportunity for a deciding 5th test that could have been broadcast on terrestrial telly to sell test cricket to a bigger audience, now we've got a damp squib that changes nothing.

England have announced an unchanged squad

Australia have only won the last test in England , once that I can remember this century and that was 2015, which England won the series 3-2

can’t remember any occasion they won the last test , to retain or win the ashes in England .

thanks to @FatCat2402 it goes back to 1972

really think England will win to at least draw the series and send the likes of Warner home as never winning a series in England in his career

England: Ben Stokes (Durham, captain), Moeen Ali (Warwickshire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Harry Brook (Yorkshire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Josh Tongue ( ...48

Last edited:
Be very interesting to see what line up in the bowlers Australia select as they are running on fumes and we’re destroyed in Manchester
Aside from Starc (and to a slightly lesser degree, Cummins) I’ve not been too scared by their bowlers. Boland has had a poor series and Hazelwood has taken some tap too despite his five fer in the first innings of the last Test.

Cummins and Starc both looked knackered at Old Trafford.

Aside from Starc (and to a slightly lesser degree, Cummins) I’ve not been too scared by their bowlers. Boland has had a poor series and Hazelwood has taken some tap too despite his five fer in the first innings of the last Test.

Cummins and Starc both looked knackered at Old Trafford.
There was some talk that they might rest one of the 3 quicks to get the spinner in and share the 3rd quick between Marsh and Green

Think they'll give jimmy one last game. On form it isnt deserved but if there's ever room for sentiment in sport then this is a case. If the ashes were on the line then no..but what the hell...

Think they'll give jimmy one last game. On form it isnt deserved but if there's ever room for sentiment in sport then this is a case. If the ashes were on the line then no..but what the hell...
If I was in the squad I'd want to make sure I wasn't in the first team to lose a home Ashes series since 2001

England have announced an unchanged squad

Australia have only won the last test in England , once that I can remember this century and that was 2015, which England won the series 3-2

can’t remember any occasion they won the last test , to retain or win the ashes in England .

thanks to @FatCat2402 it goes back to 1972

really think England will win to at least draw the series and send the likes of Warner home as never winning a series in England in his career

England: Ben Stokes (Durham, captain), Moeen Ali (Warwickshire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Harry Brook (Yorkshire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Josh Tongue ( ...48

And I've just checked and I'm wrong. Australia did win the last test to draw the series, however since Illingworths team won the acrimonious series in Australia prior to this one we were in possession of the Ashes, hence the last game in 72 was effectively a dead rubber.

I'll continue to check back. I'm afraid I'm no Andy Zaltzman, I have to do it long hand by looking through Wisdens.

If it's before 1939 I might be struggling

Looks like it's 1934. Australia won at the Oval to win the series 2 - 1 therefore reclaimed the Ashes after Bodyline.

Last edited:
And I've just checked and I'm wrong. Australia did win the last test to draw the series, however since Illingworths team won the acrimonious series in Australia prior to this one we were in possession of the Ashes, hence the last game in 72 was effectively a dead rubber.

I'll continue to check back. I'm afraid I'm no Andy Zaltzman, I have to do it long hand by looking through Wisdens.

If it's before 1939 I might be struggling

Looks like it's 1934. Australia won at the Oval to win the series 2 - 1 therefore reclaimed the Ashes after Bodyline.
No problem. It’s a difficult question.

Back