5th test the oval

Sky had stats up saying that you might get 1 game where the margin of victory is either 3 wickets or less or like 60 runs or less.....once in like 6 tests or something

we had 4 out of 5 tests, ridiculous, cant ever remember a series like that, never mind an Ashes series.

Where has this narrative come from that it was poor quality but exiciting cricket? Was cricket of the absolute highest standard by world class players.

Gutted its over..was so so good.
I tend to agree, this narrative that standard less I don’t really it.

I think it stems from the fact that no team on either side seemed to grasp the nettle when on top.

Personally I put that more down to the fighting spirit of both sides who never gave up and like you say that meant close finishes like we have never seen before which made it all the more exciting.

My frustration was the negativity towards both our players and our style of play, there was soo many over the top comments after the first two tests, posters talking about been embarrassing and we were going to lose 5 0.

Found that annoying as we played as well as their did in the first two tests and they was nothing between the sides

I tend to agree, this narrative that standard less I don’t really it.

I think it stems from the fact that no team on either side seemed to grasp the nettle when on top.

Personally I put that more down to the fighting spirit of both sides who never gave up and like you say that meant close finishes like we have never seen before which made it all the more exciting.

My frustration was the negativity towards both our players and our style of play, there was soo many over the top comments after the first two tests, posters talking about been embarrassing and we were going to lose 5 0.

Found that annoying as we played as well as their did in the first two tests and they was nothing between the sides

Yeah I was gutted at 2-0 but they were mint matches which could have gone either way

I didn’t think we batted great during that short ball ploy at lords however people just ignored the fact Aussies lost like 8 wickets to it in their 2nd innings. Was a slow 2 paced pitched and when every bowler is bowling 6 short balls abs over was hard just to leave it

I’ve said in my earlier post it’s weird that the batting still gets so much criticism, it works, the batting is amazing and has been since stokes took charge. If there is any criticsm warranted it’s a lack of penetration on flat pitches during the first 2 tests.

Yeah I was gutted at 2-0 but they were mint matches which could have gone either way

I didn’t think we batted great during that short ball ploy at lords however people just ignored the fact Aussies lost like 8 wickets to it in their 2nd innings. Was a slow 2 paced pitched and when every bowler is bowling 6 short balls abs over was hard just to leave it

I’ve said in my earlier post it’s weird that the batting still gets so much criticism, it works, the batting is amazing and has been since stokes took charge. If there is any criticsm warranted it’s a lack of penetration on flat pitches during the first 2 tests.
The batting is great and the most entertaining seen in test cricket.

There was a stat during the series saying 7 out of 8 of the quickest 300 in tests have been scored by this England team since this regime took over.

That’s brilliant as is the way we now go about playing test cricket, this way ultimately puts more time into a game and creates chances to win games that otherwise would be unlikely.

The first test in Pakistan been a great example of it.

Not sure why people are not just sitting back and enjoying the ride looking at the bigger picture and the transformation this regime has made to this side.

Playing this way is risky but wins games, what frustrates me is the times it doesn’t go to plan which will happen, some people are all over it and too quick to criticize our style of play imo

Personally imo I think we need to accept playing this way will result in some loses, but will also result in a lot more wins, which has happened.

The batting is great and the most entertaining seen in test cricket.

There was a stat during the series saying 7 out of 8 of the quickest 300 in tests have been scored by this England team since this regime took over.

That’s brilliant as is the way we now go about playing test cricket, this way ultimately puts more time into a game and creates chances to win games that otherwise would be unlikely.

The first test in Pakistan been a great example of it.

Not sure why people are not just sitting back and enjoying the ride looking at the bigger picture and the transformation this regime has made to this side.

Playing this way is risky but wins games, what frustrates me is the times it doesn’t go to plan which will happen, some people are all over it and too quick to criticize our style of play imo

Personally imo I think we need to accept playing this way will result in some loses, but will also result in a lot more wins, which has happened.

Spot on

I know it’s simplistic. But I don’t think it’s revisionism it say that without literally 2 full days of rain we won the series, the Aussies were gone. I don’t think they’d have put up the fight they did at the oval without the rain. I know rain happens in England stc but usually not to that extent. It’s a real shame but it didn’t spoil the enjoyment for me

It’ll strangely me talked about much more than 2015 for example or 2013 when we won. Rightly or wrongly.

Spot on

I know it’s simplistic. But I don’t think it’s revisionism it say that without literally 2 full days of rain we won the series, the Aussies were gone. I don’t think they’d have put up the fight they did at the oval without the rain. I know rain happens in England stc but usually not to that extent. It’s a real shame but it didn’t spoil the enjoyment for me

It’ll strangely me talked about much more than 2015 for example or 2013 when we won. Rightly or wrongly.
The Aussies got it tactically wrong imo. They were far too passive and tried to be the polar opposite of us and it backfired. Selecting the team they did for OT and batting the way they did in the first innings at the Oval. They got into a negative mindset and it played into our hands. That was of course down to us and how we played.

The Aussies got it tactically wrong imo. They were far too passive and tried to be the polar opposite of us and it backfired. Selecting the team they did for OT and batting the way they did in the first innings at the Oval. They got into a negative mindset and it played into our hands. That was of course down to us and how we played.

Completely agree

I know that - I played cricket for 40 years.

My issue was how could they know it was from a batch dating from 2018.

I posted an article from Cricinfo after I posted this. The CEO of Dukes says the balls have a number embossed which will identify the date, as he is going to investigate the report that the replacement ball was a few years old. Here is is again:

BTW, I wasn’t attempting to suggest that you didn’t know what you were talking about. I’m far too old to pick arguments with strangers on the internet 😁

For the few still claiming we aren’t good to watch or results are all that matters

No chance. This team is actively attraction record numbers. Sky broke their records too.
Not only are we good to watch mate.

I would go as far as to say this current England test team is the best England team to watch ever in the history of test cricket by a long way.

Put that together with our win percentage since this new regime took over and this is a golden age currently for watching England cricket teams.

Especially when you take in consideration our style of play of our white ball teams and the fact we currently T20 and 50 over world champions.

You would not think reading this board at times though as not sure all people appreciate the absolute brilliant cricket we seeing at the moment from England cricket teams.

Last edited:
Not only are we good to watch mate.

I would go as far as to say this current England test team is the best England team to watch ever in the history of test cricket by a long way.

Put that together with our win percentage since this new regime took over and this is a golden age currently for watching England cricket teams.

Especially when you take in consideration our style of play of our white ball teams and the fact we currently T20 and 50 over world champions.

You would not think reading this board at times though as not sure all people appreciate the absolute brilliant cricket we seeing at the moment

It’s amazing how quickly people just get used to people scoring near run a ball 100s like it’s no big deal. Crawley, bairstow, stokes, Brook and Root all played at least 2 unreal innings wt a run a ball or less.

I can’t understand any criticsm of the batting, I need to get over it like but the talk on here and online I just couldn’t get me head round.

The amount of people still saying “he threw his wicket away” or “poor shot” after they’ve just ignore them score like 80 off 80 or someit.

It’s like they want all the boundaries but with no risk

It’s amazing how quickly people just get used to people scoring near run a ball 100s like it’s no big deal. Crawley, bairstow, stokes, Brook and Root all played at least 2 unreal innings wt a run a ball or less.

I can’t understand any criticsm of the batting, I need to get over it like but the talk on here and online I just couldn’t get me head round.

The amount of people still saying “he threw his wicket away” or “poor shot” after they’ve just ignore them score like 80 off 80 or someit.

That’s exactly what it’s like. Crawley drives on the up he plays and misses a fair bit which goes with the territory. If he edges one he’s ‘reckless’ if players hit cross batted shots for boundaries it’s superb, it’s moving the game forward etc if they get out it’s ‘reckless’ again. You can’t play this brand of cricket without sometimes making poor decisions - you just have to run with it and if we are losing games with regularity then clearly things need to change.

That’s exactly what it’s like. Crawley drives on the up he plays and misses a fair bit which goes with the territory. If he edges one he’s ‘reckless’ if players hit cross batted shots for boundaries it’s superb, it’s moving the game forward etc if they get out it’s ‘reckless’ again. You can’t play this brand of cricket without sometimes making poor decisions - you just have to run with it and if we are losing games with regularity then clearly things need to change.
Spot on
Did you read that article ben stokes wrote before the ashes, I’ll find again but I posted at times

It’s basically saying he hates the word “poor shot”..that it’s often execution that’s wrong not the choice to attack etc

I’m not saying there are not like grey areas within it. Like Root getting stumped for first time off Lyon in Birmingham. People forget that we started that day 20-2, tricky 3rd innings, root just wanted to get is out of a hole and get a score to set. First ball of the day…literally first ball he does his reverse lap sweep thing off the quick. And everyone is loving it because he doesn’t get out.

Look at the averages of all the top 7 before and after stokes came in. It’s just better. It works. We score more runs and we win more games. And also amazing to watch

We will likely get stuffed in india on those pitches, it’s virtually impossible, and I’m sure people will slag off our approach again. But it’s absolutely the right way to go there

If we poke around in India stuck on our crease we will get beat 5-0 anyway

Exactly!!!

Was banging that drum throughout the series.

Inevitably there will be times it looks bad, but the positives of playing this way far outweigh the negatives, it puts time back into games which in turn greatly increases our chances of winning those games which we have done to a high ratio.

That’s the bottom line.

I am more than happy to accept we will lose some games this way as confident we will win a hell of a lot more and be brilliantly entertained at the same time

What more could a cricket fan want of their team :D
And the very fact we winning a hell of a lot more games than we losing should convince people it is the correct approach.

But not sure it has to be perfectly honest

Last edited:
Exactly!!!

Was banging that drum throughout the series.

Inevitably there will be times it looks bad, but the positives of playing this way far outweigh the negatives, it puts time back into games which in turn greatly increases our chances of winning those games which we have done to a high ratio.

That’s the bottom line.

I am more than happy to accept we will lose some games this way as confident we will win a hell of a lot more and be brilliantly entertained at the same time

What more could a cricket fan want of their team :D

And the very fact we winning a hell of a lot more games than we losing should convince people it is the correct approach.

But not sure it has to be perfectly honest

Think we’ve done like 5 or our biggest ever run chases in the last 12 months. But apparently they can’t dig in or someit

I literally saw someone, I’m not gonna name him to avoid an argument, on here pick his XI for the 3rd test and it had Ben Compton opening!

I mean Christ man!

Think we’ve done like 5 or our biggest ever run chases in the last 12 months. But apparently they can’t dig in or someit

I literally saw someone, I’m not gonna name him to avoid an argument, on here pick his XI for the 3rd test and it had Ben Compton opening!

I mean Christ man!
Yeah there was a stat saying 7 out of the 8 fastest to 300 in a test match by a England team ever have been since this new regime come in.

I mean take that in, it’s simply brilliant.

It annoys me when people were taking the piss out of the approach as some were doing after the first two tests totally forgetting the previous year.

Gone are the days when we were picking openers just to see off the new ball totally irrespective of the runs their scored.

It was a negative outlook to think that way and soo pleased with the change of philosophy.

It also annoys me when people were saying England are not bothered about the result they just want to entertain.

Imo of course they bothered about the result, but by saying they not, they totally taking the pressure of the players and allowing them to play with freedom which is hard to do with the pressure of top class sport.

And by doing that they reaping the rewards of players playing to their full potential and good results inevitable follow

Last edited:
Spot on
Did you read that article ben stokes wrote before the ashes, I’ll find again but I posted at times

It’s basically saying he hates the word “poor shot”..that it’s often execution that’s wrong not the choice to attack etc

I’m not saying there are not like grey areas within it. Like Root getting stumped for first time off Lyon in Birmingham. People forget that we started that day 20-2, tricky 3rd innings, root just wanted to get is out of a hole and get a score to set. First ball of the day…literally first ball he does his reverse lap sweep thing off the quick. And everyone is loving it because he doesn’t get out.

Look at the averages of all the top 7 before and after stokes came in. It’s just better. It works. We score more runs and we win more games. And also amazing to watch

We will likely get stuffed in india on those pitches, it’s virtually impossible, and I’m sure people will slag off our approach again. But it’s absolutely the right way to go there

If we poke around in India stuck on our crease we will get beat 5-0 anyway
Exactly - I don't mind them setting up turning pitches - its their prerogative but if the set up joke pitches like at least 2 of the 4 last time out then we have no chance whatever method we choose. People will slag off our approach perhaps forgetting how well it went playing conventionally last time.

Back