4th test Manchester

Yeah that’s fair point no doubt we should scored more in the first test similar to how they should have in the first innings of this test.

But I have certainly not seen a massive change in the approach of Crawley and Root in this test the two who got most of the runs to their approach in the first two tests.

Not really sure what them two done differently this test??

Apart from the obvious of not getting out!!

Crawley rode his luck in this test, let’s be honest. I know you always need to to an extent (Eg Bairstow nearly chopped on a couple of times too)but there were loads of swoosh play and misses in his first 50. Fair play he was superb after that though.

Says the person who's never had a lunch break or coffee break or ever been to the toilet in his whole working 8 hour day lifetime.
I've never suggested they should not have a lunch break. I've never had a coffee break mind as I don't drink coffee
You would think that a home Ashes Series that the ground staff would be desperate to get the ground ready as quick as possible. The ground was okay at 12.30 but oh no the umpires were having lunch!
Can't control the weather I guess but you can control doing nothing with the pitch for 25-30 mins this morning at 11.30am. Cricket just doesn't help itself. All about desire and showing a willingness, they showed none of that

Last edited:
It should bother me but in all honesty I just love watching great sport. I would much rather have a 2-2 out if this series than say a 1-0 to us borefest.

But there’s never been a 1-0 borefest! I can’t remember any 1-0 borefests in a 5 test series in England.

Entertaining and interesting cricket didn’t start with Ben Stokes and Brandon McCullum

Not good enough, and if we can see it and come up with ideas to combat it, why can’t the authorities.

Fining the umpires is a great shout (think it was @brandon the other day). Very simple, easy to implement.

It’ll be trickier with run penalties as there are other variables, but fine the umpires as well as the players to start off with and see how that works. If it doesn’t, then find a system for run penalties.

The ICC aren't going to fine their own employees. TMS were on about this earlier today, it's the players responsibility to make sure they get through their overs. End of the day, the umpires are revenue collectors for ICC when it comes to slow over rates. Warn, fine, collect the money, hand it over to the ICC. It should either be a significant (80% plus) fine of their match fee (which would potentially just push more players to Franchise cricket) or a case of run penalties being brought in at the end of each day. 5 runs per over missed for example.

But there’s never been a 1-0 borefest! I can’t remember any 1-0 borefests in a 5 test series in England.

Entertaining and interesting cricket didn’t start with Ben Stokes and Brandon McCullum
I never said entertaining and interesting cricket started with Stokes and McCullum. I would guess I have watched it longer than you or at least as long as.
You could perhaps have read a little bit between the lines and interpreted that I am more interested in the quality of cricket than I am about winning the Ashes. The future of test match cricket relies on engagement way beyond England and this series has been gripping stuff.
I don’t necessarily expect it to be a view shared by most.

Last edited:
I repeat my initial statement and never said entertaining and interesting cricket started with Stokes and McCullum. I would guess I have watched it longer than you or at least as long as.
You could perhaps have read a little bit between the lines and interpreted that I am more interested in the quality of cricket than I am about winning the Ashes.
I don’t expect it to be a view shared by most.

I know your point but the borefest alternative you suggested is as rare as a 2-2 series finale with it all to play for at the end.

Somewhere in between with England winning suits me every time!

The ICC aren't going to fine their own employees. TMS were on about this earlier today, it's the players responsibility to make sure they get through their overs. End of the day, the umpires are revenue collectors for ICC when it comes to slow over rates. Warn, fine, collect the money, hand it over to the ICC. It should either be a significant (80% plus) fine of their match fee (which would potentially just push more players to Franchise cricket) or a case of run penalties being brought in at the end of each day. 5 runs per over missed for example.
OK, so what is the role of the umpires? They should be the controllers of the game a bit like a referee in football, if you see players taking the pis* then tell them & get the game moving on! A bit like a yellow card that is issued to a goalkeeper for time wasting! About time they introduced a rule that says 30-30-30 overs bowled in a session, longer you take the longer you wait for lunch or tea!

Absolute complacency in selection, fielding and match tactics in the first two tests cost us the Ashes. 393/8 declared summed it up, zany bollix.
Just the fielding mate at least in the first test. Being able to complete simple catches makes the β€˜zany’ declaration an outstanding one.

OK, so what is the role of the umpires? They should be the controllers of the game a bit like a referee in football, if you see players taking the pis* then tell them & get the game moving on! A bit like a yellow card that is issued to a goalkeeper for time wasting! About time they introduced a rule that says 30-30-30 overs bowled in a session, longer you take the longer you wait for lunch or tea!
This. The umpires need to start and get a grip. As I've said they brought drinks out yesterday within the first hour of play... It's bloody 15 degrees FFS, umpires should be telling them to just get on with the game. Cant control the weather but you can control a desire to mop up a pitch and get the overs bowled, it's inexcusable

I agree. Just putting the point out there that the ICC aren't going to fine their own employees to attempt to hurry players up with the over rates when the ICC already bring in extra revenue by fining said players themselves for... slow over rates. The only thing that will work effectively is run penalties.

Back