4th test Manchester

If we don't win the final test and lose the series then people will rightly question a few key moments in the series (some of which were entirely in our hands). It's frustrating as Australia are obviously a good team, but they've performed at a 6 or 7 out of 10 at best so far.

The first three tests being so close and also ebbing and flowing to such an extent there won’t be a few key moments, you can probably identify a dozen and a half. You can probably argue that the winner of each test won because they came out 10-8 ahead in those key moments.

It’s easy enough to identify mistakes in the Headingley test for instance. We bowled ineffectively on the first morning with the new ball. We dropped Marsh and then tried to bounce him out. Several batters were out to reckless shots in the first innings. They get forgotten because we won. Aus made as many. If they had t, it’s 0-3. And if one or two go different our way, especially at Edgbaston, it’s 2-1.

Overall, it makes very little sense to obsess with only one or two of the many key moments either in the two we lost or in the one we won.

I'd be amazed if it was 90s, we took some absolute hidings from what I remember.
Not in England since 2001.

Bar Australia winning the last one in 2015 which England won the series anyway, I can’t remember australia winning the last test to clinch the series as a winner or to retain the ashes

Not in England since 2001.

Bar Australia winning the last one in 2015 which England won the series anyway, I can’t remember australia winning the last test to clinch the series as a winner or to retain the ashes

I can remember back to 1977 and I dont recall a last test victory for them to win or retain. I think the previous home series was 1972 and it was a draw, but not sure whether the last test produced a series defining result.

I can remember back to 1977 and I dont recall a last test victory for them to win or retain. I think the previous home series was 1972 and it was a draw, but not sure whether the last test produced a series defining result.
Agreed. I really fancy England if the weather relents in this upcoming match

Bloody hell. Well played. I’ve just started the 5th test thread and I’ll mention this

Well...that's if it's correct. I get a bit lost off after 2005 onwards, so there might be a 5th test win for them to square a series after that. But we got mullered by them from 1989 to 2001 at home (may have been a 3-2 somewhere but last game was a dead rubber)

85 Gower got shitload of runs
81 Botham
77 Randall's cartwheel... We mullered them.

Back