47 years ago, uncontrollable tears as Safc defeat..

Spot on mate.
That’s one of the things looking back that never ceases to amaze me.
In all those games, they were just full of themselves, absolutely no fear.
Billy Hughes in particular looked as though he could have took on the world.
No fear and positivity from start to finish
Some would now call it naive and gung ho
I'm still amazed how we were still looking for a second goal in the last 15-20 minutes
That bit of him trying to wave them back to defend and they still attack makes me laugh
Perhaps attack was the best form of defence

Cheers Luna, my dad and uncle were in the Arsenal end.

Another amazing double save by Monty, doesn’t get the plaudits due to his save in the final bit the save at the Leppings Lane end from the deflected shot and getting up to block the rebound is right up there for me.

The Arsenal player who hit the deflected shot was Geordie Armstrong. Local lad from Hebburn.

Last edited:
Spot on mate.
That’s one of the things looking back that never ceases to amaze me.
In all those games, they were just full of themselves, absolutely no fear.
Billy Hughes in particular looked as though he could have took on the world.
Great performance..could have easy finished 4-2...we played with no fear that day or in the final.

... the mighty Arsenal at Hillsborough to earn a shot at winning the FA Cup v dirty Leeds United.

The whole day for an excitable 12 year old was just fantastic, never to be forgotten and however long I've got left on this earth I just cannot imagine that day being topped.

Stokoe coming out to salute the fans after the final whistle still gets me bottom lip a quivering!

ship badge on his tie :cool:

C
Better than the final for me, in the Kop with just a huge army all around so emotional.Very confidant we could do it after each game, some say it’s fate and your names written on the cup. I’ve never had the feeling since even with the play offs against the skunks and the final itself Was like an anti climax for me. Missed only one game at Elm Park in the run to Wembley,that whole team for me never let us down they matched the fans the whole way, and in that moment when Bob came out to us all that feeling will never leave me.
Could not agree more marra.
The semi final was THE most emotional day for me ever, watching Safc since 66/67.
Arsenal were a great club (still are) and very very strong team who had won the double in 70-71. I just could not see us winning, but news that McLintock was injured was great news. And oh, how it proved.
Just look at the team they had out against us that day though. Bally, Charlie George, Geordie Armstrong, Radford, Rice, Storey etc. To beat them so convincingly was awesome.
In the seats opposite from where Stokoe came out, you were provided with cushions to sit on the seats. Well hundreds of them were launched on to the pitch!
When BS came out, grown men were crying with joy, it is just not possible to convey in writing how emotional it was.
There's been plenty of highs since then, but NOTHING will beat that day for me, nothing!

It wasn't just the fact that we won and got to the final and beat Arsenal, it was the way we played. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say we were brilliant in the first half and could have been 3 up by half time. The best performance,for me, in the whole cup run. And the emotion at the end........truly, truly wonderful. Words don't do it justice.

what a night
watched the eurovsion song contest with Cliff an unlucky third, bag of XL crisps and glass of sarsaparilla then MOTD.

midfield and forwards had a swagger and massive self belief

I thought we were on the Brian Moore's The Big Match on Sunday with Dirty Leeds v Wolves on MOTD.

Didn't get to Wembley for the Final but was at Wembley on the day of the semi final. School (10 yo) had a trip on to watch England Schoolboys v Holland Schoolboys - 3-1, still remember the semi final scores coming up on the scoreboard at Wembley at the end of the game.

... the mighty Arsenal at Hillsborough to earn a shot at winning the FA Cup v dirty Leeds United.

The whole day for an excitable 12 year old was just fantastic, never to be forgotten and however long I've got left on this earth I just cannot imagine that day being topped.

Stokoe coming out to salute the fans after the final whistle still gets me bottom lip a quivering!

What a keeper he was mind Jim .

and the scenes in our end

Class

I'd been to every game in the cup except Reading away but hadn't got a ticket for the semi.
Then I managed to get one the night before but had no lift, eventually travelled to Sheffield and back sitting on the steps of the minibus from the local pub. Very painful!
After the game we all went to Doncaster and spent the night in the Old Volunteer social club in the market place. What a night that was, a lifelong memory with Wembley still to come.
I've had season tickets in the Fulwell, Roker and paddocks of RP, now I'm in the East Stand at SoL. Most recent away game was Coventry at St Andrews.
Some of us just can't let go and that cup run has a lot to do with it.

Last edited:
Didn't get to Wembley for the Final but was at Wembley on the day of the semi final. School (10 yo) had a trip on to watch England Schoolboys v Holland Schoolboys - 3-1, still remember the semi final scores coming up on the scoreboard at Wembley at the end of the game.

I was at that England Holland game.
Of all the days to go to wembley ffs.....

I was a young P.E. teacher in north London where most of the kids were Arsenal fans , a fair number were young 'uns in their mob, did I take some stick pre match .
Drove up on the Saturday to meet my dad and brother , we had seats in the Leppings End above their fans I don't know how that came about, but all our lot .
A lasting memory is in the warm up Charlie George walked out , didn't run , and in front of us Alan ball blasted a ball a him , with a single touch no panic he pulled the ball down dead, and I thought fuck me what a player, we're in trouble today . Nee bother ,had their pants down and did a proper job.

Fantastic day and fantastic night. The Hebburn branch bus went to Barnsley, where the Liberal club was completely taken over by Sunland fans .Ended up in the Aloha curry house where I threw up over the table. Remember it like it was yesterday

The events of that afternoon have been well covered and wonderfully remembered already. Our coach also went to the Radical and Liberal Club that night and there must have been 500 Sunderland fans in the concert room. At half seven the club had already sent out for more staff and bottled beer as the draught was getting hammered.

Sunderland fans were going through the full repertoire of our songs and then one lad stood on a table and sang all of the Lambton Worm with the whole room belting out the chorus. The group that were on that night started tuning up behind the curtains and the chant went up "we want the group, we want the group" The curtains went back and their first number was " My, My, My beautiful Sunday" and when , halfway through, they changed the lyrics to "My, My, My Beautiful Sunderland" the place erupted. They were being bought drinks all night and were well pissed at the end but nowhere near as pissed as our supporters.

Ah, memories!

Back