47 years ago, uncontrollable tears as Safc defeat..

Luna17

Winger
... the mighty Arsenal at Hillsborough to earn a shot at winning the FA Cup v dirty Leeds United.

The whole day for an excitable 12 year old was just fantastic, never to be forgotten and however long I've got left on this earth I just cannot imagine that day being topped.

Stokoe coming out to salute the fans after the final whistle still gets me bottom lip a quivering!

Last edited:

Cheers Luna, my dad and uncle were in the Arsenal end.

Another amazing double save by Monty, doesn’t get the plaudits due to his save in the final bit the save at the Leppings Lane end from the deflected shot and getting up to block the rebound is right up there for me.

Last edited:
Another unforgettable day in 1973 - right in the middle of the Penistone Rd (or Kop) end behind the goal, so got a great view of Vic's goal. Right up there with the final, although obviously marginally behind.
And I agree about the minutes after the game finished when Bob Stokoe came back out.....so emotional.
By then it was easier to see how many Sunderland supporters were in the Arsenal end -amazing.

... the mighty Arsenal at Hillsborough to earn a shot at winning the FA Cup v dirty Leeds United.

The whole day for an excitable 12 year old was just fantastic, never to be forgotten and however long I've got left on this earth I just cannot imagine that day being topped.

Stokoe coming out to salute the fans after the final whistle still gets me bottom lip a quivering!

what a night
watched the eurovsion song contest with Cliff an unlucky third, bag of XL crisps and glass of sarsaparilla then MOTD.
Just about the greatest day.
A fantastic performance from that insanely confident team, and fans!!
midfield and forwards had a swagger and massive self belief

Last edited:
Another unforgettable day in 1973 - right in the middle of the Penistone Rd (or Kop) end behind the goal, so got a great view of Vic's goal. Right up there with the final, although obviously marginally behind.
And I agree about the minutes after the game finished when Bob Stokoe came back out.....so emotional.
By then it was easier to see how many Sunderland supporters were in the Arsenal end -amazing.
Bob Wilson, wrote in his book, how he'd never seen nor heard anything like our fans that day at Hillsborough.
As he ran towards the Kop to take up his position in goal, he seen the many thousands of red & white scarves, and incorrectly assumed they were Arsenal fans.
It was as he got to the 18 yard line, that he realised the thousands upon thousands of red & whites, packed into the Kop, were actually Sunderland fans.
He said, he was used to seeing thousands of Arsenal fans supporting the team at away games, but what he seen and heard that day, was something else, and something he'll remember to his dying day.
The incredible noise, numbers, and passion of Sunderland fans, as they took over Hillsborough left a lasting impression on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob Wilson, wrote in his book, how he'd never seen nor heard anything like our fans that day at Hillsborough.
As he ran towards the Kop to take up his position in goal, he seen the many thousands of red & white scarves, and incorrectly assumed they were Arsenal fans.
It was as he got to the 18 yard line, that he realised the thousands upon thousands of red & whites, packed into the Kop, were actually Sunderland fans.
He said, he was used to seeing thousands of Arsenal fans supporting the team at away games, but what he seen and heard that day, was something else, and something he'll remember to his dying day.
The incredible noise, numbers, and passion of Sunderland fans, as they took over Hillsborough left a lasting impression on him.
Robert primrose Wilson!!
on the BBC panel just couldn't say he hoped sunderland would win

Robert primrose Wilson!!
on the BBC panel just couldn't say he hoped sunderland would win
Very few neutrals expected us to beat Leeds at Wembley, even after we'd beaten Man City and Arsenal, on the road to Wembley.

what a night
watched the eurovsion song contest with Cliff an unlucky third, bag of XL crisps and glass of sarsaparilla then MOTD.

midfield and forwards had a swagger and massive self belief

You are dead right, the ESC was on that night. Was that the year Vicky Leandros won?

I have a copy of his biography, nothing but praise for the team and the fans, says we deserved the victory, a true gent & giant of the game is Bob Wilson. The books a bit of a heart breaker, lost two is brothers (RAF aircrew in WW2) as his daughter when she was in her 20's

Fantastic day and fantastic night. The Hebburn branch bus went to Barnsley, where the Liberal club was completely taken over by Sunland fans .Ended up in the Aloha curry house where I threw up over the table. Remember it like it was yesterday

Cheers for that, first time I’ve seen it 😲

Better than the final for me, in the Kop with just a huge army all around so emotional.Very confidant we could do it after each game, some say it’s fate and your names written on the cup. I’ve never had the feeling since even with the play offs against the skunks and the final itself Was like an anti climax for me. Missed only one game at Elm Park in the run to Wembley,that whole team for me never let us down they matched the fans the whole way, and in that moment when Bob came out to us all that feeling will never leave me.

Back