47 years ago, uncontrollable tears as Safc defeat..

The events of that afternoon have been well covered and wonderfully remembered already. Our coach also went to the Radical and Liberal Club that night and there must have been 500 Sunderland fans in the concert room. At half seven the club had already sent out for more staff and bottled beer as the draught was getting hammered.

Sunderland fans were going through the full repertoire of our songs and then one lad stood on a table and sang all of the Lambton Worm with the whole room belting out the chorusn. The group that were on that night started tuning up behind the curtains and the chant went up "we want the group, we want the group" The curtains went back and their first number was " My, My, My beautiful Sunday" and when , halfway through, they changed the lyrics to "My, My, My Beautiful Sunderland" the place erupted. They were being bought drinks all night and were well pissed at the end but nowhere near as pissed as our supporters.

Ah, memories!
Yeah, I remember beautiful Sunday and they played it again during the encore. As a big 17 year old Wishbone Ash and Free fan I never thought I'd be up dancing to fuckin Daniel Boone 😂

I was at that England Holland game.
Of all the days to go to wembley ffs.....
I was at all the FA Cup games at RP up to and including the Man City game (personal favourite game of all time) and think the trip to London/Wembley would have been paid over a number of months before hand so would have had no choice about whether I was going or not. Dad was at Hillsborough representing the family having the time of his life. You on a school trip as well?

I was at all the FA Cup games at RP up to and including the Man City game (personal favourite game of all time) and think the trip to London/Wembley would have been paid over a number of months before hand so would have had no choice about whether I was going or not. Dad was at Hillsborough representing the family having the time of his life. You on a school trip as well?

Yeah, I would have been 11, first year Seaham Northlea.

Back