4 day working week

Weren`t we promised back in the arly 80`s that technology would free us from the drudgery or work and give us more leisure time? What happened there? Job losses with those left behind picking up the extra work - aided by the great technology revolution. The increased productivity went straight into the pockets of the owners/shareholders/CEO`s while the workers are working harder for less. Ever feel like you`ve been cheated???
I recall that period well . As technology advanced at a pace we were told that we would be on 4 or 3 days as the technology would make things easier, whilst the profits rolled in . Those profits would pay our salaries.
Didn’t quite pan out like that 🤣

In my case changing from hand drawing to CAD (90s) was revolutionary - we were churning drawings out in less than half the time not to mention the ease of text and specifications. No printing or hard copies , no posting bundles of plans .

And yet people in offices are still burning out with workload today - the efficiency and productivity increase from an office now compared to mid 80s must be enormous - yet somehow it doesn’t feel like that.

There could be a snowball effect in some sectors, where if more companies start offering it, those who don't will lose their better people to those who do.

We've already had people leave our place (which is already quite flexible) for other places that offer half days on Fridays etc.

That happens anyway - the plodders left to work in retail, hospitality, care and the public sector....

I jest but...

But you wouldn't need to commute if you were WFH? Do work pay you to travel in?
It’s not a WFH type job. What made you think it was? No, like most people I don’t get paid to travel in.
You obviously havent read the thread, or any of the articles and examples of it already happening. But to clarify, It doesn't move the same hours into less days. It reduces your hours for same salary.
I didn’t get past the post about working the same hours in less days. Suppose I’d better read some more cos I’m dying to see how you would convince any boss to pay you the same for less hours.

Last edited:
Cba to read 14 pages, but has anyone pointed out that you could double productivity in most places by simply banning phones?
If your in a different place of work all the time you could claim mileage off hmrc even if your on the books

Used to be the case anyway
Different place to what? I’m in the same place of work every day.

Last edited:
We’ve just rejected a 4 day week at work because the new structure was shite for the lads on shifts and only suited the office staff

I recall that period well . As technology advanced at a pace we were told that we would be on 4 or 3 days as the technology would make things easier, whilst the profits rolled in . Those profits would pay our salaries.
Didn’t quite pan out like that 🤣

In my case changing from hand drawing to CAD (90s) was revolutionary - we were churning drawings out in less than half the time not to mention the ease of text and specifications. No printing or hard copies , no posting bundles of plans .

And yet people in offices are still burning out with workload today - the efficiency and productivity increase from an office now compared to mid 80s must be enormous - yet somehow it doesn’t feel like that.
But, but productivity is low and British workers are lazy so our Tory overlords keeping telling us - conveniently forgetting that progress and advancement with IT and technology meant that those huge manpower heavy office jobs for example can now be done by a few people and a laptop. Where did the profits from that efficiency go??

It'll be interesting to see what happens if it becomes more common. Jobs such as medicine, police and teaching may have to be more generous with wages to attract and retain people who might leave for a 4 day wage job.
Medicine and the police are already 24/7 jobs. They can easily transition from a 5-2 system with shifts and weekend work to a 4-3 system, or even a 4-4 system, with shifts.

As for teaching, hasn't Scotland already trialed a four day, or maybe four and a half day, scheme?

Medicine and the police are already 24/7 jobs. They can easily transition from a 5-2 system with shifts and weekend work to a 4-3 system, or even a 4-4 system, with shifts.

As for teaching, hasn't Scotland already trialed a four day, or maybe four and a half day, scheme?
Aye and look at the results....

Then how do you cope with kids if you’re still on a five day week. Sounds like a pain.

Then how do you cope with kids if you’re still on a five day week. Sounds like a pain.
Over here they generally just send them off to do sporty stuff with properly qualified instructors, not just random teachers who have been roped in.

Mind you, the authorities have also had to ensure that enough playing fields etc. are available to cope with the load - so the UK is probably f'ed there ...

Last edited:

Yes but if other jobs have 20% fewer hours, those in those professions might be tempted.

Fully agreed. Which is why it's only the private sector doing it and who will be doing it more in the future.
I did a search and it is interesting that a number of universities have been involved in a number of trials and studies and all bar one report is all for it, quoting very positive results. But no university has applied it to their own staff. There is a massive divide between the academic bodies and professional services, often without either really talking to each other, or it could be the fear of the split workforce of the cans and can not.

The one University that was negative about it, was a commentary not a study, from Newcastle. And the person missed the point, confusing it with condensed hours then wrote a bit about front line services which everyone acknowledges is probably unachievable.

Yes but if other jobs have 20% fewer hours, those in those professions might be tempted.
But. They. Will, Have, 20% less. Too!

Same for construction etc.
I did a search and it is interesting that a number of universities have been involved in a number of trials and studies and all bar one report is all for it, quoting very positive results. But no university has applied it to their own staff. There is a massive divide between the academic bodies and professional services, often without either really talking to each other, or it could be the fear of the split workforce of the cans and can not.

The one University that was negative about it, was a commentary not a study, from Newcastle. And the person missed the point, confusing it with condensed hours then wrote a bit about front line services which everyone acknowledges is probably unachievable.
The teaching staff at universities already are already on a 4.5 day teaching week aren't they?

Last edited:

Back