35 years since Hillsborough

I think people like myself take for granted how safe it is to go to the footy nowadays. I'm 26 and I know for a fact if it was anything like it was 40-50 years ago I'd have doubts to go

You’d not have to go that far back. Getting out of Hillsborough at the end of the ‘92 cup semi as a 13 year old was terrifying.

The kop was so much steeper than the Fulwell End, and I found myself trapped off the ground between adults a few times as the crowd poured down to the exit.

I remember being in one of the tents at T in the Park and there was a crush. There were a few minor injuries but it was really scary experience.

It must have been heartbreaking to be at Hillsborough that day, to see friends and family dying in such a horrific way must stay with you forever.

Then to go through decades of injustice, lies and being blamed by people in power trying to cover their own backs is utterly despicable.

There was a gap between the back of the fences and the supporting wall front wall of the upstairs bit when I was there. Had that been closed off?
Theres a walkway now along the front mate...before that it was a fence along the front...but thats at the very front of the Lepp. dunno about back then, but it would have helped very little because the crush was coming from that tunnel to the very front, there was honestly nowhere to go for Liverpool fans bar the pitch, that was fenced off

I was watching that match on TV, I couldn't believe what was being played out in front of my eyes. I remember just sitting with tears streaming down my face. It's certainly one of football's darkest days. There but for the grace of God go all of us.

You’d not have to go that far back. Getting out of Hillsborough at the end of the ‘92 cup semi as a 13 year old was terrifying.

The kop was so much steeper than the Fulwell End, and I found myself trapped off the ground between adults a few times as the crowd poured down to the exit.
Hillsborough Kop was always like that mate, with a crowd in...much the same as every other ground i've been to with a crowd in..
Problem we have with the ground now is folk visiting it like a bloody haunted house and looking for stuff...You been to QPR on that away end with a crowd in...Brentfords old away end with a crowd in?....Everton, numerous others...in the 90's?
Gets a bit crowded at QPR, Everton, Brentford you hear nowt about it...theres no bloody history..Happens at Hillsborough and its a tragedy in the making.
Take the other season....the one where you lads went up
Sold out away end, on the Lepp, not a problem, sure its not the best ground in the sodding country, but there were no mackems posting
" I feared for me life"
Go to Newcastle in the F.A cup...one bloody reporter talks about a crush on the Leppings Lane.....cue a barrage of...absolute crap about crushes and fearfulness...then you watch videos of Geordies actually doing the vlogs fronm right in front of the tunnel and where this "Crush" was happening...no mention of anything at all...hows that happen?
It happens cos they lost....
Seriously ...how many of you lads have tripped down to Hillsborough in the last year or so...only club that year in league 1 to sell the away end out....
Did you "Fear for your life"....Seriously?

Last edited:
Hillsborough Kop was always like that mate, with a crowd in...much the same as every other ground i've been to with a crowd in..
Problem we have with the ground now is folk visiting it like a bloody haunted house and looking for stuff...You been to QPR on that away end with a crowd in...Brentfords old away end with a crowd in?....Everton, numerous others...in the 90's?
Gets a bit crowded at QPR, Everton, Brentford you hear nowt about it...theres no bloody history..Happens at Hillsborough and its a tragedy in the making.
Sold out away end, on the Lepp, not a problem, sure its not the best ground in the sodding country, but there were no mackems posting
" I feared for me life"
Go to Newcastle in the F.A cup...one bloody reporter talks about a crush on the Leppings Lane.....cue a barrage of...absolute crap about crushes and fearfulness...then you watch videos of Geordies actually doing the vlogs fronm right in front of the tunnel and where this "Crush" was happening...no mention of anything at all...hows that happen?
Seriously ...many of you lads have tripped down to Hillsborough in the last year or so...only club that year in league 1 to sell the away end out....
I'll say I disagree with this regarding the whole mags debacle
I've been to Hillsborough twice and while no I didn't think I'd feel unsafe I csn 100% understand some of the mags feeling uncomfortable. It definitely needs tearing down and rebuilding

I've been to Hillsborough twice and while no I didn't think I'd feel unsafe I csn 100% understand some of the mags feeling uncomfortable. It definitely needs tearing down and rebuilding
Forget which year I went to hillsbrough but the polis we’re still acting like pricks that day too

There's a (non-paywalled) article on The Athletic speaking to some of the survivors.

Really brings it home just how many lives it ruined beyond the 97 and their families. 35 years on and I still find new details that'll stay in my head forever.

So why did the mags feel,uncomfortable and you didn't?
You brought the same amount of fans ,if not more than the Mags did..you sold out
I've watched vlogs from the mags game...nowt
I've watched vlogs from the game against you lads...nowt
Forget which year I went to hillsbrough but the polis we’re still acting like pricks that day too
Yea well thats a given mate...bloody uselesss

So why did the mags feel,uncomfortable and you didn't?
You brought the same amount of fans ,if not more than the Mags did..you sold out
I've watched vlogs from the mags game...nowt
I've watched vlogs from the game against you lads...nowt

Yea well thats a given mate...bloody uselesss
Everyone's different I suppose. I've been to Loftus road and felt a bit uncomfortable in the concourse for example. It's definitely still tight at the concourse at Hillsborough

" I feared for me life"
Seriously ...how many of you lads have tripped down to Hillsborough in the last year or so...only club that year in league 1 to sell the away end out....

I could only compare it to Roker Park, and none of the terraces were that steep, although you could argue that we never had a crowd in either!

Mate..honestly, you could see it at normal league games from The Kop at Hillsborough.
Any team that brought owt like a following, they filled the middle section first, because anyone who doesn't know the ground, heads staraight down that middle tunnel from the turnstiles, cos you could virtually see the pitch from there.
You honestly would,nt get an Owls fan doing that , they would turn left or right and head for the other entrances on the side.
You couldn't expect an away fan to know...They head for the main entrance tunnel, that was virtually a big cage..totally fenced in on the front, on the right and on the left...where do you go...you can't go back cos fans are still heading down the tunnel...it was bloody ridiculously flawed...

Yup. Mind, a few stewards directing supporters wouldn't have went amiss.

Remember the report on Grandstand. The look on the face of Kenny Dalglish told you everything. A real tragedy.

Dalglish witnessed 3 of football's worst tragedies first hand - from the dugout at Hillsborough, on the pitch at Hysel and in the stands Ibrox in 1971 - he was a Celtic youth player at the time.

They laid the dead bodies along the touchline, but when they decided to complete the game, they just used sawdust to make a new touchline a couple of feet in and played the game with the bodies between the crowd and the pitch.
Yeah, awful story, was life so cheap back then, only 80 years ago.

He visited one a few times in hospital as well, I once took him and 3 other Liverpool players up to ITU in a lift at the Hallamshire hospital...Kenny Dalglish gave me a Polo mint...Its me only claim to fame.
Dark days, sadly there are still a minority of Owls fanswho can't accept it...I've stopped reading the posts, anyone with any sense saw the danger of those fences years before it happened...it was a total trap, nowhere to go...

In your opinion, is that end safe now?

Because in recent years, seems like there have been a few near misses again.

A dark day for football, and for the country. No one should ever not come back from supporting their team.

Despicable coverage from the press, and from the government of the day

RIP to the 97
I was reading about Hillsborough the other day and apparently Leppings Lane was notorious for crowd crushes - 35 injured in a semi a few years before the disaster.
I never understood why Liverpool were allocated that end. I was on the Spion Kop for the Arsenal Vs Sunderland semi final '73 - and I was almost crushed against one of the stanchions near the top - maybe only 7 or 8 steps behind me.

The wankers that decided to put up the fencing also needed prosecuting.

Everyone's different I suppose. I've been to Loftus road and felt a bit uncomfortable in the concourse for example. It's definitely still tight at the concourse at Hillsborough

It’s not just about stadiums though, it’s about stewarding. Get that wrong and any stadium is dangerous.

For example, if the Euros final at Wembley had been sold at 100% capacity, not 80% because of Covid, then with all those jibbers, absent police and poor stewarding - it could easily have become tragic.

It’s not just about stadiums though, it’s about stewarding. Get that wrong and any stadium is dangerous.

For example, if the Euros final at Wembley had been sold at 100% capacity, not 80% because of Covid, then with all those jibbers, absent police and poor stewarding - it could easily have become tragic.
I think tho it's both
I agree with this and I've heard the stewards at Hillsborough can be dicks

Back