35 years since Hillsborough

He visited one a few times in hospital as well, I once took him and 3 other Liverpool players up to ITU in a lift at the Hallamshire hospital...Kenny Dalglish gave me a Polo mint...Its me only claim to fame.
Dark days, sadly there are still a minority of Owls fanswho can't accept it...I've stopped reading the posts, anyone with any sense saw the danger of those fences years before it happened...it was a total trap, nowhere to go...
They didn’t have a semi-final there between ‘81 and ‘87, presumably because of the issues in the Spurs v Wolves semi in ‘81. Yet we should have played there in the ‘85 Milk Cup semi final and it would have been allowed as it was over 2 legs. Crazy really.

I'm sure there was a crush there about two years before that wasn't there? Leeds vs spurs?
Mate..honestly, you could see it at normal league games from The Kop at Hillsborough.
Any team that brought owt like a following, they filled the middle section first, because anyone who doesn't know the ground, heads staraight down that middle tunnel from the turnstiles, cos you could virtually see the pitch from there.
You honestly would,nt get an Owls fan doing that , they would turn left or right and head for the other entrances on the side.
You couldn't expect an away fan to know...They head for the main entrance tunnel, that was virtually a big cage..totally fenced in on the front, on the right and on the left...where do you go...you can't go back cos fans are still heading down the tunnel...it was bloody ridiculously flawed...

Mate..honestly, you could see it at normal league games from The Kop at Hillsborough.
Any team that brought owt like a following, they filled the middle section first, because anyone who doesn't know the ground, heads staraight down that middle tunnel from the turnstiles, cos you could virtually see the pitch from there.
You honestly would,nt get an Owls fan doing that , they would turn left or right and head for the other entrances on the side.
You couldn't expect an away fan to know...They head for the main entrance tunnel, that was virtually a big cage..totally fenced in on the front, on the right and on the left...where do you go...you can't go back cos fans are still heading down the tunnel...it was bloody ridiculously flawed...

That tunnel was horrible when we played you in cup in (I think) 1993 and that was after it had been made all seater. I can’t imagine what it was like when it was a standing area.

The only time I stood on the Leppings Lane was in one of the side pens in 84/85 so thankfully never experienced the middle pen as a standing spectator.

That tunnel was horrible when we played you in cup in (I think) 1993 and that was after it had been made all seater. I can’t imagine what it was like when it was a standing area.

The only time I stood on the Leppings Lane was in one of the side pens in 84/85 so thankfully never experienced the middle pen as a standing spectator.
Was that the game where your keeper dropped the ball on Mark Brights head in thelast minute mate?
Great following...Shocking keeper :)

I was helping out working in a shop in Surrey that day, and we had the radio on as we usually did, everyone standing around in shocked silence as it unfolded. Then a posh woman came in and wondered what everyone was glued to the radio for, and on being told it was a tragedy at a football match, she sneered that football supporters were "all hooligans, it's no surprise..." and left.

Then there was The Sun's coverage of the events and the aftermath which so endeared the paper to Merseyside, which pretty much echoed the daft cow's prejudices and assumptions about normal folk going to a communal event and, bizarrely, expecting to be treated as a decent human being and come home unscathed.

I was helping out working in a shop in Surrey that day, and we had the radio on as we usually did, everyone standing around in shocked silence as it unfolded. Then a posh woman came in and wondered what everyone was glued to the radio for, and on being told it was a tragedy at a football match, she sneered that football supporters were "all hooligans, it's no surprise..." and left.

Then there was The Sun's coverage of the events and the aftermath which so endeared the paper to Merseyside, which pretty much echoed the daft cow's prejudices and assumptions about normal folk going to a communal event and, bizarrely, expecting to be treated as a decent human being and come home unscathed.
Sadly there are football fans on this board that still blame the Liverpool fans. It’s amazing how much a lie can stick

I’d been three times prior to that and wasn’t even aware the terrace was accessible from the sides. We’d go through the tunnel and edge along as near to the corner flag every time. Shocking signage. RIP

Sadly there are football fans on this board that still blame the Liverpool fans. It’s amazing how much a lie can stick
Mate...My wife was a nursing officer at a local sheffield hospital, I worked at that time as a porter at the same place
We saw what was unfolding on the Telly and went straight into work
All we were met with was bewildered fans, no bloody drunks, no hooligans, just mates looking for mates, fathers looking for daughters
It was bloody harrowing, and that was a while before the whole tragedy unfolded
The worst part of all of it was a scouser, simply sat outside the entrance of the A& E department , who asked me for a cig..I smoked ...I gave him a cig
asked him what had gone off, and he asked if I could find owt out about his mate.....
What he found out, and what that poor lad had to go through was to identify his mate, who was lying dead in the physio department that had become a makeshift morgue..
That is a f.ucking FOOTBALL game
You get the "Always a victim " crap about Liverpool supporters, they were that day, no argument, they did f.ook all wrong bar walk into a sodding mess of an end to watch a football game
On Vere rd, outside Leppings Lane on that afternoon, Sheffield families were bringing Liverpool fans into their houses to phone their families to to tell them they were ok....
Next game against Liverpool , Liverpool fans were knocking on those same doors, offering money for the phone calls and the cups of tea and coffee, thats Liverpool fans..."Always the victims"...Dunno , but that particular day...YES they bloody were, and they were also so grateful for what little help they got
I’d been three times prior to that and wasn’t even aware the terrace was accessible from the sides. We’d go through the tunnel and edge along as near to the corner flag every time. Shocking signage. RIP
Therein was the major problem mate....Liverpool fans couldn't edgealong cos of the fences that ran topto bottom and across the front of the pitch...

Last edited:
Mate...My wife was a nursing officer at a local sheffield hospital, I worked at that time as a porter at the same place
We saw what was unfolding on the Telly and went straight into work
All we were met with was bewildered fans, no bloody drunks, no hooligans, just mates looking for mates, fathers looking for daughters
It was bloody harrowing, and that was a while before the whole tragedy unfolded
The worst part of all of it was a scouser, simply sat outside the entrance of the A& E department , who asked me for a cig..I smoked ...I gave him a cig
asked him what had gone off, and he asked if I could find owt out about his mate.....
What he found out, and what that poor lad had to go through was to identify his mate, who was lying dead in the physio department that had become a makeshift morgue..
That is a f.ucking FOOTBALL game
You get the "Always a victim " crap about Liverpool supporters, they were that day, no argument, they did f.ook all wrong bar walk into a sodding mess of an end to watch a football game
On Vere rd, outside Leppings Lane on that afternoon, Sheffield families were bringing Liverpool fans into their houses to phone their families to to tell them they were ok....
Next game against Liverpool , Liverpool fans were knocking on those same doors, offering money for the phone calls and the cups of tea and coffee, thats Liverpool fans..."Always the victims"...Dunno , but that particular day...YES they bloody were, and they were also so grateful for what little help they got

Therein was the major problem mate....Liverpool fans couldn't edgealong cos of the fences that ran topto bottom and across the front of the pitch...
There was a gap between the back of the fences and the supporting wall front wall of the upstairs bit when I was there. Had that been closed off?

Back