2ND ASHES TEST: LORDS

That's a poor argument tbf. You don't need to have played cricket to have an opinion on it.

Absolutely true. One of my best mates has never played and he knows his stuff and if you love cricket and have followed and watched for years you can be very knowledgeable. However in my view it helps enormously if you have played cricket, shared dressing rooms with and faced top class cricketers. It is easy to recognise some views that are clearly from people who have never played but they are still entitled to have those views - there is no-one who has either played cricket, or got a deep knowledge of cricket through watching it through the years that would think Root should have declared much earlier.
Completely incorrect argument also - pointless discussing things with people when they resort to pettiness. None of us have ever played professional football before either, so should just lock all the Pure Football threads.

Several on twitter disagreed and thought it was too late. That's fair enough though - whole point of a discussion board is to discuss things - evidently you are only allowed to agree with certain others though

Like I said, what's the odds of there being another draw? When was the last 5 match series we played with 2 draws in England? How often are 2/5 tests drawn?

There are hundreds of top class cricketers who commentate on the Ashes through the various media outlets. If you find one, any one that says Root should have declared much earlier (I can accept a couple of overs or so) I will be amazed. IF you cant find any, then ask your self why that is? Certainly all of the pundits on 5 live and SKY felt it was fair and made the point that it is much easier as a pundit to say he could have declared earlier but in reality none of them would have.

Last edited:

Absolutely true. One of my best mates has never played and he knows his stuff and if you love cricket and have followed and watched for years you can be very knowledgeable. However in my view it helps enormously if you have played cricket, shared dressing rooms with and faced top class cricketers. It is easy to recognise some views that are clearly from people who have never played but they are still entitled to have those views - there is no-one who has either played cricket, or got a deep knowledge of cricket through watching it through the years that would think Root should have declared much earlier.

There are hundreds of top class cricketers who commentate on the Ashes through the various media outlets. If you find one, any one that says Root should have declared much earlier (I can accept a couple of overs or so) I will be amazed. IF you cant find any, then ask your self why that is? Certainly all of the pundits on 5 live and SKY felt it was fair and made the point that it is much easier as a pundit to say he could have declared earlier but in reality none of them would have.

As my previous statement said, I can find plenty. Good though that others have not playing cricket because they disagree with you. Ignored this muppet.

Mitchell Johnson did it in 2013 and the whole team were in England's faces saying horrible stuff, it is part of test cricket and England were thoroughly beaten. Lillee and Thomson did it years before that.

We've been far too timid dealing with Australia over the years.

Best moment of 2005 was Harmison hitting Ponting in the face with a bouncer. Signalled we were up for a fight.

Like I said, what's the odds of there being another draw? When was the last 5 match series we played with 2 draws in England? How often are 2/5 tests drawn?
3 of the last 4 Ashes series in England have had 2 draws, the weather being the primary reason in each of those series.

2005 - draws at Old Trafford and The Oval
2009 - draws in Cardiff and Edgbaston
2013 - draws at Old Trafford and The Oval
2015 - all 5 tests completed

The only other time I can remember a home Ashes series without a draw was 2001, when we were complete lambs to the slaughter against the best Aussie team ever in their prime.

I'm well aware that the above has no effect on this series, but can you honestly say you can't envisage the weather intervening with another match in the way it has done with this one?
Same old Aussies, always whinging.

3 of the last 4 Ashes series in England have had 2 draws, the weather being the primary reason in each of those series.

The only other time I can remember a home Ashes series without a draw was 2001, when we were complete lambs to the slaughter against the best Aussie team ever in their prime.

I'm well aware that the above has no effect on this series, but can you honestly say you can't envisage the weather intervening with another match in the way it has done with this one?

And in all of those series, both teams could actually bat. I’m talking about more recent series, given that test match batting has changed considerably in the last 3-4 years where players won’t or can’t grind out a score. It was only earlier in the thread comments were being made around “I can’t remember the last drawn test match in England”. It’s not impossible, just find it particularly unlikely when neither team can bat, both bowling attacks are strong and we nearly had a result after losing nearly 3 days on the worst pitch in the country to bowl teams out on.

Who wins in the situation outlined? Again irrespective of your thoughts on what might happen, who wins in that particular scenario?

At no point did I make a claim it was impossible. What I said was statistically it was highly unlikely to happen due to all of the reasons I’ve mentioned before. I think it was a risk worth taking. Clearly you disagree but are not mentally capable of offering a reasoned response, therefore I’m unsure why you are on a discussion board quite honestly.

That’s nonsense mind. It’s possible but unlikely. Australia thrashed us last game, it wasn’t a close contest at all.

I take his point in so much as I think we’d have been in the game with Anderson fit. I do think his injury had a major impact, how could it not, and we were in winning positions at 120-8 and 30-3 (effectively) but failed to capitalise. However it’s a stretch to go as far as to say we’d win.

As for today, would archer have even played if Jimmy was fit? Hard to drop Woakes who averages 9 at lords with the ball and 62 with the bat, broad who bowled magnificently last game or Jimmy for obvious reasons. Also the weather played a large part in this anyway.

That’s nonsense mind. It’s possible but unlikely. Australia thrashed us last game, it wasn’t a close contest at all.

We had them at 120-8 mate. Idea that Nathan Lyon and Peter Siddle can add another 150 with Smith if Jof is bowling at them is absolutely for the birds. Pace changes everything - not just pace, terror to be honest.

I also personally think that Jimmy would do Smith on nibblers. He's just a cut above the other lateral movement reliant bowlers we have.

Last edited:

Tbf - that was the first draw in 34 tests in England today.

Tbf, they're not whinging that much on the actual video. They are rattled mind. How could you not be. They've just seen a batsman who is statistically the best since Bradman cut down to size by a lad playing his first test. Literally knocked out. If he can do that to Smith he can do that to anyone. They fronted up quite well today, but this was the lad's first test. He's only going to get better and by the end of the series he'll probably have Jimmy at the other end - where do the f***ing runs come from then?

Like I just said - if we get an attack out there that is Archer, Broad, Anderson and Stokes - we've never had better in my life. Not even in 2005. Archer is better than Harmison - we've never had a pace bowler like this lad, I honestly think he's going to be an all-time great. Anderson, say no more - far better than Hoggard. Would take Flintoff over broad as the line bowler and Jones over Stokes as the reverse swing bowler, but Leach is better than Giles too - so this could be the best we've ever had.

Shame the batting is the f***ing worst.
Shame about the result but good game of cricket nowt wrong with the declaration either

Agree. It was the right time. Easy to be wise after the event.

Last edited:
that drop by Roy off Stokes was horrendous and with Head out then who knows if the tail would have capitulated
It may have cost the ashes but such is cricket ,one minute a hero the next your'e a villain

Last edited:

Back