27,000 at Middlesex v Surrey

Status
Not open for further replies.

26,000 sell outs for the next two games at the Oval as well... And yet the 50 over final didn't even come close. Ridiculous.

How are we supposed to compete with that
We can't and we can't compete on income on any front with several of the Southern counties.

All Durham can do is to rely on the ECB to make payments and to cap salaries so that the rich cannot buy the titles - which they will if the rules ever allow it. And then Durham must develop their players themselves, which they're trying to do.

But if the ECB weaken like the FA did in football then the best players will always gravitate to the Counties with the most money.

We can't and we can't compete on income on any front with several of the Southern counties.

All Durham can do is to rely on the ECB to make payments and to cap salaries so that the rich cannot buy the titles - which they will if the rules ever allow it. And then Durham must develop their players themselves, which they're trying to do.

But if the ECB weaken like the FA did in football then the best players will always gravitate to the Counties with the most money.
Wholly agree but we can take consolation from the fact that Sorry have been hoovering up the best players for years but still haven't won anything.

Wholly agree but we can take consolation from the fact that Sorry have been hoovering up the best players for years but still haven't won anything.
I love this argument.

Okay, we took Borthwick and Rocky because Di Venuto knew and wanted them, but apart from that we throw money at the academy.

Regular fixtures in our team over the last few years: T Curran, S Curran, Roy, Meaker, Ansari, Burns, Harinath, Pillans, Dunne, Virdi, Sibley, Pope, Burke, Dernbach, and now McKerr.
Of our regular 11 in the T20 blast this year, 7 have come through our academy system.
Over the last ten years, we've ploughed almost every penny we make into the academy and it's slowly starting to pay dividends, but yeah, all we do is throw money and sign everyone.

Honest.

Someone on the internet told me.

I love this argument.

Okay, we took Borthwick and Rocky because Di Venuto knew and wanted them, but apart from that we throw money at the academy.

Regular fixtures in our team over the last few years: T Curran, S Curran, Roy, Meaker, Ansari, Burns, Harinath, Pillans, Dunne, Virdi, Sibley, Pope, Burke, Dernbach, and now McKerr.
Of our regular 11 in the T20 blast this year, 7 have come through our academy system.
Over the last ten years, we've ploughed almost every penny we make into the academy and it's slowly starting to pay dividends, but yeah, all we do is throw money and sign everyone.

Honest.

This isn't meant to be having a go but a genuine query - when was the last time Surrey produced a player who wasn't South African or a public schoolboy? Most of that list seem to fall into one or the other whereas Durham, Yorks etc are pretty different.

I love this argument.

Honest.

Surrey can use their resources anyway they wish-it's their money.
They have an annual turnover circa £23m and almost every penny of it for the last 10 years has been ploughed into the academy and it's slowly starting to pay dividends.
Not a very successful use of resources then but,of course, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

It doesn't matter but it differs because the public schoolboy probably owes his cricket development to the 1st class coaching he received at his school rather than at a county cricket academy.
Partially yes. And that makes them better at a young age so more likely to get snapped up.

Given what Surrey is like as a county it's hardly a surprise

It's a fact of life that there are more public schools down south and cricketers are produced due to that. In the north, clubs are almost solely responsible for producing young cricketers.

It's a fact of life that there are more public schools down south and cricketers are produced due to that. In the north, clubs are almost solely responsible for producing young cricketers.
It's also true that if a lad (down South especially but not always) shows talent at cricket he may be awarded a scholarship at a public school. I think that happened to Nasser Hussein and to Joe Root at Sheffield Collegiate. How many public schools are cricket orientated up here ... Barnard Castle maybe although I've only heard of it in relation to Rugby. edit Durham School of course.

Do you not think that if London has a population of say 7m and 93% of those go to state schools they should be able to get a few good players out of that pool? Durham, Yorks and Lancs churn them out.

Stoneman dropped last night and both him and Borthwick dropped tonight??

Or injured @TheRey ??
I'd find it surprising if Stoneman was dropped, although he hasn't got a score in T20 he'd been playing pretty well in the RLC scoring at least 2 50's and both with a strike rate over 100. Scotty is the one who has been struggling a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back