27,000 at Middlesex v Surrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you not think that if London has a population of say 7m and 93% of those go to state schools they should be able to get a few good players out of that pool? Durham, Yorks and Lancs churn them out.
A bit of northern bias here but its clear that working class kids down south have no interest in cricket. For all we perceive football to be the dominant sport in the north, cricket still has a pull due to the fantastic job our clubs do in the community, getting kids invloved in the game.

A bit of northern bias here but its clear that working class kids down south have no interest in cricket. For all we perceive football to be the dominant sport in the north, cricket still has a pull due to the fantastic job our clubs do in the community, getting kids invloved in the game.
But Surrey don't need to get local kids involved. They have their own catchment area-it's called South Africa.

Do you not think that if London has a population of say 7m and 93% of those go to state schools they should be able to get a few good players out of that pool? Durham, Yorks and Lancs churn them out.
It would be pretty stupid of Surrey not to make the most of the development the best young players get from the facilities and opportunities that come at some of the fantastic schools they have in the county. An example would be Ansari, who I know was at the club from 11 or so from which time he also went to a private school with a great sporting heritage (albeit technically not in Surrey).

And they ultimately can only put eleven out on the pitch so having a huge catchment area doesn't mean they ought to cast the net wider to find other players, though I know they do a lot of work with state schools in the area.

Think this is just a prejudgement you have on fee paying schools and non-english domestic cricketers coming through.

But Surrey don't need to get local kids involved. They have their own catchment area-it's called South Africa.
Careful, we have two Jennings and Richo with Carse working his way back, also Cook just left us. Isn't Harte a Saffa too?

Cricket is only played in two schools in Portsmouth, the Grammar and St Johns College and both are private (the latter rent their top notch facilities out to second XI's etc in the county league etc). Pleb kids are mainly brought through the junior sides in the Southern/Hampshire league.

In truth there's not the facilities/finance available to play cricket in state schools (certainly not round here anyway).

Careful, we have two Jennings and Richo with Carse working his way back, also Cook just left us. Isn't Harte a Saffa too?
I think Harte is an Aussie with a British passport. Nothing wrong with acquiring youngsters from other countries but Kolpaks is another issue.

Just on Borthwick

It hasn't worked for him on a cricketing sense, I'm sure he's enjoying it mind

I knew he would hardly bowl, so seems like he must have just given up on that. He was our number one spinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back