23andme and other ancestry DNA test kits

Did the Ancestry DNA Kit two years ago, got some surprising results back. Get regular updates every six months as they receive more and more samples from people.

My latest update was as follows:

Scottish - 57%
English - 28%
Irish - 10%
Swedish - 3% (this was new!)
Wales - 2 %

Because my brother and I were given up for adoption as soon as we were born, so we did not know anything about our past biological family history. So came as a surprise to us both to find out we were both more Scottish than English :lol:

My wife took the test not long after I did mine, her results were fairly standard...

91% - Irish
9% - Scottish

Did the Ancestry DNA Kit two years ago, got some surprising results back. Get regular updates every six months as they receive more and more samples from people.

My latest update was as follows:

Scottish - 57%
English - 28%
Irish - 10%
Swedish - 3% (this was new!)
Wales - 2 %

Because my brother and I were given up for adoption as soon as we were born, so we did not know anything about our past biological family history. So came as a surprise to us both to find out we were both more Scottish than English :lol:

My wife took the test not long after I did mine, her results were fairly standard...

91% - Irish
9% - Scottish
My last one was:

English: 41%
Scottish: 31%
Irish: 17%
Scandinavian: 11%

No idea where the Irish has come from.

My last one was:

English: 41%
Scottish: 31%
Irish: 17%
Scandinavian: 11%

No idea where the Irish has come from.
When my brother and I were doing our research, we discovered that a lot of Irish moved over to Scotland and the north of England during the Irish famine. We guessed that where our Irish DNA came from, from those who moved over and "mixed" with the local population.

Did the Living DNA one with my Dad, his results didn’t really come as a surprise to @Albay3037 and myself, as when we were doing family tree stuff on Dad’s line everything seems to have been around Durham/Northumberland going back until we got stuck at the early 1800s

Great Britain and Ireland - 97.7%
*Northumbria - 73.9%
*Cornwall - 14.1%
*Central England - 5%
*South Central England - 2%
*North Yorkshire - 1.3%
*South Yorkshire - 1.3%

Europe (North and West) - 2.3%
*Northwest Germanic - 2.3%

Did the Living DNA one with my Dad, his results didn’t really come as a surprise to @Albay3037 and myself, as when we were doing family tree stuff on Dad’s line everything seems to have been around Durham/Northumberland going back until we got stuck at the early 1800s

Great Britain and Ireland - 97.7%
*Northumbria - 73.9%
*Cornwall - 14.1%
*Central England - 5%
*South Central England - 2%
*North Yorkshire - 1.3%
*South Yorkshire - 1.3%

Europe (North and West) - 2.3%
*Northwest Germanic - 2.3%
I’m guessing you have mining history in the family with the Cornwall connection

I’m guessing you have mining history in the family with the Cornwall connection

Yes, although on Dad’s side earliest mining history I’ve gotten back to is around 1820 in the Weardale area.

On Mam’s mam’s Dad’s side I did get back to Cornwall in the 1700s as tin miners

Yes, although on Dad’s side earliest mining history I’ve gotten back to is around 1820 in the Weardale area.

On Mam’s mam’s Dad’s side I did get back to Cornwall in the 1700s as tin miners
Likewise. It came as a surprise to me too with the Cornwall connection. I’ve got lots of relatives on that side. Apparently lots migrated from Cornwall to the NE to mine coal. Coal mining I always knew about in the family history but not the Cornish connection

Likewise. It came as a surprise to me too with the Cornwall connection. I’ve got lots of relatives on that side. Apparently lots migrated from Cornwall to the NE to mine coal. Coal mining I always knew about in the family history but not the Cornish connection
I’d have you down as more of a Warleggan than a Poldark.

I found out who my Grandfather really was through DNA. He enlisted in the British Army in 1915 and his life was well documented from that day on, before that day I couldn't find anything, no birth certificate, no baptism, school records, nothing. It was as if he didn't exist before 1915.
He told his children he was born in London and lied about his age to become a merchant seaman and jumped ship as soon as he landed in Canada where he lived until travelling to England in 1915 to enlist. Through DNA I discovered close relatives living in the USA and Australia. I contacted the DNA relatives in America and discovered the truth. To cut a long story short my Grandfather was sold by Barnardos aged 10 to work on farms in Canada, he never ever saw his two younger sisters again. he came back to England in 1915 with the Canadian Army where he deserted, changed his name and joined the British Army.
Through DNA I discovered his true name, his parents and also he had two sister who no one knew about. It was the daughter of one of his sisters who I DNA matched with. Without DNA there was no way I could have found out about my Grandfathers previous life.
That is a really interesting bloke,bit unorthodox,but what a life story he had 👍🏻

Back