23andme and other ancestry DNA test kits

Sharpshooter

Midfield
Anyone done one of these? Thinking about buying one from 23andme for now.

My parents are Irish so doubt I'm going to get anything exotic, although supposedly the average Irish person gets around 85-90% "British & Irish" yet the average ethnic English scores considerably lower, not much over 50% owing to higher compositions from "French & German" and Scandinavian categories. I've seen numerous Irish people score 95-100% British and Irish, infact one lass here got 99.9%. We're fuckin inbreds.

Are 23andme and AncestryDNA considered the best two?

Did it years ago, that's how I discovered my Grandfathers real name. Ancestry has a bigger database than 23andme but as for which is the most accurate, I've no idea. I knew I had some Irish ancestry and according to Ancestry DNA it's mainly from Mayo and Sligo. One day I'll visit just to see if I feel any connection.

Anyone done one of these? Thinking about buying one from 23andme for now.

My parents are Irish so doubt I'm going to get anything exotic, although supposedly the average Irish person gets around 85-90% "British & Irish" yet the average ethnic English scores considerably lower, not much over 50% owing to higher compositions from "French & German" and Scandinavian categories. I've seen numerous Irish people score 95-100% British and Irish, infact one lass here got 99.9%. We're fuckin inbreds.

Are 23andme and AncestryDNA considered the best two?

I've done 23andme, it's really interesting and the app is very informative - Im 67% British and Irish 20 odd% french/German with the rest coming from various other parts North European

Had mine back at the weekend

24% English -Yeah but seems a bit low
24% Irish - Yeah both paternal and maternal sides came over during the tatie famine
52% Scottish - Where the holy feck did that come from! My tree hasn’t a single branch heading that way as far back as early 1800’s and beyond. Mother you’ve got some explaining to do!!

Must be those Reiver gangs up to no good.

Everyone’s a pint pot, including your ma’s n da’s. Your ma n da cant pour both their pints into yours or your brothers or your sisters. So some gets spilled. Different bits are spilled from or poured into different pints. That’s why your siblings are different. Unless...

24% Irish - Yeah both paternal and maternal sides came over during the tatie famine
52% Scottish - Where the holy feck did that come from! My tree hasn’t a single branch heading that way as far back as early 1800’s and beyond. Mother you’ve got some explaining to do!!

I was thinking about this. Didn’t a lot of the lowland Scotch go over to Ireland as part of the Irish Plantation in the early 17th Century? So it’s possible you’ve got the Scotch DNA going over to Ireland in the 17th century then coming back a couple of centuries later during the famine.

I have done mine about one year ago i uploaded it to lots of sites my heritage is the most amusing 2 percent english.. LOL... ancestry is the most accurate

36 percent Scottish Irish 60 percent english wales and north western Europe and zooms in Scottish English border and 4 percent Scandinavian

But for things like that My True Ancestry is the best download your dna and upload it to their ;) yeah alot of it you have to pay but one of my 2nd cousins let me use his full account found i am very closely related to some one from the 3rd century

Vandal Chieftain 380 AD
DA119

Shared DNA: (Sample Quality: 38)
3 SNP chains (min. 60 SNPs) / 14.99 cM
Largest chain: 152 SNPs / 8.51 cM

You are a top 97 % match to this sample! This makes your relationship to this individual exceptional.

There's another site called GEDmatch that compares data from all tha the DNA websites like Ancestry, 23andme etc.
I don't know much about it, just know it exists from a podcast I was listening to where they used GEDmatch to identify a murdered body.

I was thinking about this. Didn’t a lot of the lowland Scotch go over to Ireland as part of the Irish Plantation in the early 17th Century? So it’s possible you’ve got the Scotch DNA going over to Ireland in the 17th century then coming back a couple of centuries later during the famine.
Had another good look at the “Scottish” region on Ancestry and the large fringe area does stretch as far as Whitby therefore covering the whole of the North East. This I would think would have been the outlying areas that the Celtic tribes populated in bygone times.
That now brings me back full swing. Growing up we assumed we were pure bred North East with a chunk of Irish thrown in on both sides. However, doing the two main branches of the paper tree it turned out that the main families that weren’t Irish migrated up from the Midlands and Kent in the mid 1800’s when the pits were flourishing. That I’ll take as the 24% English.
Now I’ll assume that all the other twiglets were indigenous NE folk and contribute to the high percentage “Scottish”
So basically now I’m classing us as 76% Celt which account for the generations of paupers and heathens.

Had another good look at the “Scottish” region on Ancestry and the large fringe area does stretch as far as Whitby therefore covering the whole of the North East. This I would think would have been the outlying areas that the Celtic tribes populated in bygone times.
That now brings me back full swing. Growing up we assumed we were pure bred North East with a chunk of Irish thrown in on both sides. However, doing the two main branches of the paper tree it turned out that the main families that weren’t Irish migrated up from the Midlands and Kent in the mid 1800’s when the pits were flourishing. That I’ll take as the 24% English.
Now I’ll assume that all the other twiglets were indigenous NE folk and contribute to the high percentage “Scottish”
So basically now I’m classing us as 76% Celt which account for the generations of paupers and heathens.
And the random gingas that keep popping up.

Back