23andme and other ancestry DNA test kits

I don’t understand why on Ancestry they classify North East England DNA as Scottish - it says I have 29% Scottish DNA, but when you look in more detail at the breakdown this 29% is actually Co. Durham, Tyne & Wear and Southern Northumberland which also fits in with my genealogical family tree.

I don’t understand why on Ancestry they classify North East England DNA as Scottish - it says I have 29% Scottish DNA, but when you look in more detail at the breakdown this 29% is actually Co. Durham, Tyne & Wear and Southern Northumberland which also fits in with my genealogical family tree.
It's for Americans who would rather have Scottish or Irish Ancestry than English.

Did mine just under a year ago and had a few updates since then. I was a bit sceptical at first but an old wifey got in touch as we were loosely linked and she sent me photos of her at my mam and dad's wedding in 1956 which was a nice surprise and gave me a bit more confidence in the results.

My latest update said :-

Scottish 51%
Norwegian 16%
Irish 15%
English 7%
Wales 7%
Germanic Europe 3%
Finland 1%

Strange how I've been born and bred and lived all my 60+ years in the northeast but only 7% English.

Did mine just under a year ago and had a few updates since then. I was a bit sceptical at first but an old wifey got in touch as we were loosely linked and she sent me photos of her at my mam and dad's wedding in 1956 which was a nice surprise and gave me a bit more confidence in the results.

Scottish 51%
Norwegian 16%
Irish 15%
English 7%
Wales 7%
Germanic Europe 3%
Finland 1%

Strange how I've been born and bred and lived all my 60+ years in the northeast but only 7% English.
If you check the Scottish portion drill down a bit further and if it says England/Scotland border region it's likely that it means north east England
No idea i have world wide access at the minute as got it for a pound for 3 months, It shows up on mine
Ah, that makes sense, my membership lapsed a while ago, but I keep getting offers through. I'll rejoin, next time I get an offer.

Last edited:

Scottish 51%
Norwegian 16%
Irish 15%
English 7%
Wales 7%
Germanic Europe 3%
Finland 1%

Mine is as follows

England & Northwestern Europe 54%
Scotland 36% Your community with a connection to this ethnicity regionYour connection to this ethnicity region may come through ancestors from this community. North England & Scotland Border NEW Cumbria & Eastern Dumfries & Galloway NEW
Ireland 6%
Wales 4%

If you check the Scottish portion drill down a bit further and if it says England/Scotland border region it's likely that it means north east England
Yep, on that new communities bit that they've added is has it down as that. I always knew there was loads of Scottish in the family, on both sides, and Selkirk Castle was in our family at one point so not too surprised it's quite high.
Obviously some little hewer in years gone by has been shagging the vikings to get 15% Norwegian in there.

Back