23 years ago, Magic hits a hat trick but Safc nearly blow it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huddersfield were a whisker away from equalising that night but Bally managed to steady the ship. Johnston’s first half hat trick in front of our fans was one of those great halves of football.

......down Huddersfield way.

Allan Johnston was the star of the show as Safc's promotion drive contained with a class hat trick including a trade mark curler to have us firmly in the driving seat.

At half time tho, someone flicked a switch and before the hour mark it was 3-2, and we were getting battered.

The bloody "Chief" inevitably notched to give the Terriers a bit of hope, but Dave Phillips superb volley had the home fans dreaming of a stupendous come back.

Reidy brought Bally on to stiffen things up as we were being overrun. Thankfully, Tommy was in fine form and we held out to win, but only just.

This ok @thamesvalleyman ?

Was at this game. Remember parts of the stadium weren't even fully finished. Magic got his hatrick with a penna if I remember correctly.

I was there too, I think with @chuckyroll I seem to remember there was a hold up and police controls on the country road leading into the town.
You know something mate..could write a book about the travels and incidents all over this country. You look back and smile at all the times we had some not so good but mostly brilliant. From my 1st away game in 1971 to my last at Sid James. I wouldn't change it either it's part of being a Sunderland fan. The happenings this last few weeks brings back that hope that seemed all gone. The fans deserve a club to be proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back