23 years ago, Magic hits a hat trick but Safc nearly blow it.....

Luna17

Winger
......down Huddersfield way.

Allan Johnston was the star of the show as Safc's promotion drive contained with a class hat trick including a trade mark curler to have us firmly in the driving seat.

At half time tho, someone flicked a switch and before the hour mark it was 3-2, and we were getting battered.

The bloody "Chief" inevitably notched to give the Terriers a bit of hope, but Dave Phillips superb volley had the home fans dreaming of a stupendous come back.

Reidy brought Bally on to stiffen things up as we were being overrun. Thankfully, Tommy was in fine form and we held out to win, but only just.

This ok @thamesvalleyman ?

Last edited:

Allan Johnston was the star of the show as Safc's promotion drive contained with a class hat trick including a trade mark curler to have us firmly in the driving seat.

At half time tho, someone flicked a switch and before the hour mark it was 3-2, and we were getting battered.

The bloody "Chief" inevitably notched to give the Terriers a bit of hope, but Dave Phillips superb volley had the home fans dreaming of a stupendous come back.

Reidy brought Bally on to stiffen things up as we were being overrun. Thankfully, Tommy was in fine form and we held out to win, but only just.

Fantastic journalism @Luna17 couldn't have Googled it better myself 😉

Was there pissed as usual can vaguely remember being worried 🤪
Got a more clear memory of me mate rolling out of a pizza shop managing to tumble his creams and stand back up with pizza still in hand and still in a horizontal position!

Makin and Tommy in a mix up for one of their goals?

Think Reidy had them locked in the changing rooms for a long time after the full-time whistle

Photo by PA Images via Getty Images On this day in 1979, a young man from County Durham became a legend for all time as Sunderland went to St James’ Park and won 4-1. It’s a story that gets retold generation after generation amongst Sunderland fans; we sing the song, and every year we like to remember that faithful day, now 42 years ago,...

More at Roker Report...

I was in the back row that night banging on the tin sheeting, 13 year old my dad drove down after school, my 2nd visit at the time haven't been back since, but would like to take my 2 lads

I was there, that night.
A canny away win, a cracking Sunland support, and a rare hat-trick, from the Magic man.
The SAFC juggernaut, rolled onwards. 👍
A season of missed opportunities.
We should've went up, and would've done so, if we'd taken a single point, from the two games against Boro, or beaten QPR at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember this match. Had to sit with their fans as many SAFC did.

Always remember one of their scratter fans picked up a ball that went in to crowd for an SAFC throw. Hockled and spat on the ball before throwing it to our player. Holloway I think?

What a scratter.

Strange night that one. Got up to Huddersfield for about 5pm, plenty of beers, Magic hat-trick, somehow having to end up hanging on, then fan-belt went on mates car on the M1 just south of Barnsley, and got home very late!

Last edited:
yeah was a class game, for their 2nd perez punched it off wayne allisons head to 25 yards out and their lad nearly burst the net, what a fantastic time

best football we ever played after the reading loss in october, so entertainingm but more solid the year after with butler and tommy more solid than williams and perez

Back