21 years and a crazy 24 hours

Steveofpool

Full Back
21 years ago recollections of "camping out".. Few cans and a few deck chairs outside the stadium of light with my mates, in desperation for a ticket for Wembley, arrived after work about 6pm to a huge que spiralling into the main lower car park, the buzz around the ground was quality, returned home with my ticket about 3pm the next day, exhausted!
Fast forward to today and 4.5k tickets still unclaimed, i know we were at Wembley weeks ago, but i have always thought we would sell out any occasion at Wembley.. Haway Sunderland fans get them tickets snapped up, and lets get the job sorted on Sunday!

They were on a true general sale back then. If they reach a true general sale this time we will sell out.
They were not on general sale back then. They did it by lottery number for the final. The semi at Hillsborough was first come first served. We were teenagers so couldn't afford season tickets and we did not have the right lottery/voucher number to get tickets through the club for the final - there was no general sale. Had been to all the home games and about half the away games so was gutted. My brother got one the week before as he worked behind the bar in a local football club. I literally got given one on the Friday night as chairman of said football club had managed to get another from one of the smaller clubs in another area. I believe for an FA cup there were many less tickets.

They were not on general sale back then. They did it by lottery number for the final. The semi at Hillsborough was first come first served. We were teenagers so couldn't afford season tickets and we did not have the right lottery/voucher number to get tickets through the club for the final - there was no general sale. Had been to all the home games and about half the away games so was gutted. My brother got one the week before as he worked behind the bar in a local football club. I literally got given one on the Friday night as chairman of said football club had managed to get another from one of the smaller clubs in another area. I believe for an FA cup there were many less tickets.
Sorry didn’t know. Edit got mixed up with Liverpool 92 tkts here but the tkt office shambles is still relevant so I’ll leave it in.
I got mine from safc when Liverpool refused to sell restricted view tkts and the FA and they sent em out to safc who did. Problem was it was so late in the day that safc never realised they were for the Liverpool end. One of the rsj columns was restricting the view of the goal......exactly as it was for the bemused scousers either side of me. There were also safc fans in the seat in front of me and behind me who’d acquired them in a similar way from safc.

Last edited:
How did Season Ticket holders get them? I can't even remember how I got mine with my mates and I don't know if we had to queue or not! I recall queuing but not 100% sure if that was why or if it was another occasion :confused:

How did Season Ticket holders get them? I can't even remember how I got mine with my mates and I don't know if we had to queue or not! I recall queuing but not 100% sure if that was why or if it was another occasion :confused:

I was only 9 at the time but remember my Mam, Dad, Auntie and Uncle camping out for them.

Meant to have been class, cans and footy in the car park etc

I was an ST holder then and yea, had to queue up. Might have been other methods but that’s how I got mine.

I was only 9 at the time but remember my Mam, Dad, Auntie and Uncle camping out for them.

Meant to have been class, cans and footy in the car park etc
it was a class night 12 of us went through took turns to stand in Q while the others went for drinks in the new derby
this was for the semi final tickets

Last edited:
Remember a steward with a counter clicking away as we arrived, then a stampede to the ticket office as some lads in a van pulled up and joined the que... Good memories but a bit of a free for all

Remember me n me dad going down on cup final afternoon and the queues were huge. I can't remember exactly how it worked but I think they took orders from season ticket holders and then you had to queue up whilst it was processed?

Anyway, we were a good way back in the queue when me dad decided to go into the ticket office to ask how long we'd likely be waiting whilst I held our position in the queue. Next thing me dad comes out and says come on we're going. In the car, handed me an envelope, and we're away. Turned out that the lass he spoke to was processing our tickets at just that moment, so she give him them there and then and said keep it quiet or we'll have a riot. Back home in time to watch the mags get stuffed. Champion.

The internet's taken a bit of the fun out of it all really. :lol:

Last edited:
21 years ago recollections of "camping out".. Few cans and a few deck chairs outside the stadium of light with my mates, in desperation for a ticket for Wembley, arrived after work about 6pm to a huge que spiralling into the main lower car park, the buzz around the ground was quality, returned home with my ticket about 3pm the next day, exhausted!
Fast forward to today and 4.5k tickets still unclaimed, i know we were at Wembley weeks ago, but i have always thought we would sell out any occasion at Wembley.. Haway Sunderland fans get them tickets snapped up, and lets get the job sorted on Sunday!
SD said we could have sold 80k for the CT. I think I believed him.
Bit of a bump down to earth this like

I had no holidays left at work so my sister and her mate went over for mine at 6am and I told them they’d be done by 10. They got back home for 6:15pm :lol:
I bought them a takeaway for their troubles as they wouldn’t take any money because they said they enjoyed the day.

21 years ago is the (1st) Charlton Play-off game 1998 that's which sale the OP refers to.

You're on about Liverpool which wad 27 years ago.

I was 21 and at Uni at the time and it was my ex's 21st birthday. She's a mag and they'd just got beaten the week before, she wasn't overly impressed that I fucked off for the day on her birthday.

My dad got tickets in return for signing up to a season ticket for the 98/99 season.

I had my ticket as a season ticket holder and queued up over night for general sale tickets for my Dad who was working. Was at college at the time so it didn't really matter.

The atmosphere the night before was great. Footy in the car park and cans - I'll never forget it.

The atmosphere changed drastically in the morning when the very nice snaked queuing system was replaced with a stampede for the ticket office. I'd love to see some pics of it.

our season tickets back then would have lettered vouches in the back for away games etc, you'd have to send in whatever letter they assigned by post

Back