20mph limits in Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

I emailed councillor mordey about this. He head's up the team that made this decision, the reason is to bring it in line with other similar roads like the A690 :rolleyes:
Not that they are in anyway similar apart from being a dual carriageway though. Although it wont really matter when the other roundabouts are converted into light controlled junctions in stage 4 or 5 of the SSTC.

This is exactly my thoughts, during school times 20mph around schools makes perfect sense. At 10pm at night it makes zero sense. There has to be some way to have variable speed limits.

Councillor Mordey is stupid then. A690 is nothing like Wessington Way. The major reason the A690 was changed was due to the amount of accidents when trying to drive across at Stoneygate and other similar junctions. It was like playing chicken and even more difficult when the grass hadn't been cut and was about 2 foot high.

So drive at the speed limit.
I always do, but it annoys the hell out of others.

The road I'm on about has been a 30mph forever but with this sign at the roundabout near the grindon mill, turning into Pennywell, I don't know if it's now twenty all the way down to Pallion.

I have no problem adhering to the limits but this has no indication how long this limit is for.

[QUOTE="Some Random Guy, post: 28156158, member: 32384

Parents are scared their kids will get nonced..[/QUOTE]

I just went to a Secondary Modern marra, we were lucky just to have a tuck shop and GCE's :);)

Also instances of making perfectly useable outside lanes redundant by hoying pointless bollard islands in the road to stop you using them, like the ones on the stretch from prospect lidl up to strawberry bank. Does my tits right in.

While we’re on, what in tarnation is the point of making Wessington Way a 50 now? It’s been perfectly fine as a 70 for years. Yet again the highways dept nannying people who they seem to think incapable of slowing down in time for roundabouts and traffic queues.

hear hear!

and the bastard bridge isn't even open yit!

Councillor Mordey is stupid then. A690 is nothing like Wessington Way. The major reason the A690 was changed was due to the amount of accidents when trying to drive across at Stoneygate and other similar junctions. It was like playing chicken and even more difficult when the grass hadn't been cut and was about 2 foot high.
Correct. You don’t even need to slow down for the Wess roundabouts at night, as you can see any approaching lights and just take the racing line across if it’s clear.
A690 has Houghton cut’s false camber to worry about as well.
Ironically, the only local roundabout entry where it would benefit from lights is coming onto the Chester le st one from Bournmoor, where all of the other entries are light controlled.

Correct. You don’t even need to slow down for the Wess roundabouts at night, as you can see any approaching lights and just take the racing line across if it’s clear.
A690 has Houghton cut’s false camber to worry about as well.
Ironically, the only local roundabout entry where it would benefit from lights is coming onto the Chester le st one from Bournmoor, where all of the other entries are light controlled.

haha, awesome terminology. great when you give the apex a gentle kiss on the way through, anarl!

exert from the email from cllr mordey
Taking account of guidance for setting speed limits and the physical nature of Wessington Way, the most appropriate speed limit was 50mph. Given the regularity of roundabout junctions to the west and length of dual carriageway remaining to the east, it was deemed appropriate that the 50mph speed limit should apply between the A19 and the existing 30mph to the west of the Queen Alexandra Bridge.

This approach is also consistent with similar roads within the city, such as the A690 Durham Road, which has a 50mph limit from the A19 to the border with Durham County.

Whilst the proposed speed limit change would reduce the maximum speed at which an individual may legally travel along this particular section of the A1231, the proposals seek to improve road safety, capacity and help reduce overall journey times across the wider highway network. The setting of a more appropriate and credible lower speed limit should actually improve journey times, by virtue of a higher proportion of traffic moving at a more consistent speed, in turn lower speed limits help authorities meet environmental and health objectives.

Those patronising electronic smiley/angry face bastards are popping up arl owa anarl. I'm sure the one on essen way is fucked like, as it never goes higher than 36mph no matter how fast you blitz past it

Last edited:
My street in Fatfield has just been made a 20mph zone. No idea why as it doesn't lead to Fatfield School. You can't get much faster than 10mph anyway due to all the residents cars parked there to start with.

I'd much rather see speed bumps, similar to those in Albany, on Fallowfield Way. Getting onto Fallowfield Way from the side streets is a nightmare on school days due to the wankers who do the school run constantly speeding.

• If someone is hit by a car at 40 mph they are 90% likely to be killed.
  • If someone is hit by a car at 30 mph they are 50% likely to be killed.
  • If someone is hit by a car at 20 mph they are 10% likely to be killed
Sauce: Kill speed
They should stop hitting the poor fella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back