20mph limits in Sunderland

I emailed councillor mordey about this. He head's up the team that made this decision, the reason is to bring it in line with other similar roads like the A690 :rolleyes:
Not that they are in anyway similar apart from being a dual carriageway though. Although it wont really matter when the other roundabouts are converted into light controlled junctions in stage 4 or 5 of the SSTC.

This is exactly my thoughts, during school times 20mph around schools makes perfect sense. At 10pm at night it makes zero sense. There has to be some way to have variable speed limits.

In Bishop Auckland, the road that runs by King James School and ASDA is 30mph or 20mph when the crossing lights by the side of the road are flashing.

However since many primary schools are in residential areas and have children playing nearby outside of school hours I think permanent 20 zones around schools are not a bad idea.

However since many primary schools are in residential areas and have children playing nearby outside of school hours I think permanent 20 zones around schools are not a bad idea.

True, but what about roads like queen alexandra road outside hill view school? Kids certainly don't play on that, needs to be a case by case basis.

The 20 mph speed limit in Hollycarrside in Ryhope has produced a racing track.Numptys of the highest order seem to have decided to travel along the road as fast as they can We need speed bumps.

Still no idea if my original point about st Luke's road is down to 20 mph

Do the signs say 20mph?

If yes then it’s 20mph.
Check my op.

A new sign has appeared in Pennywell. There is no sign indicating when the 20mph zone stretches to.

St Lukes road in Pallion is the same.

So the problem stems from the lack of clarity of where the zone ends.

St Luke's connects Pallion, through ford (new estate) and onto Pennywell

Check my op.

A new sign has appeared in Pennywell. There is no sign indicating when the 20mph zone stretches to.

St Lukes road in Pallion is the same.

So the problem stems from the lack of clarity of where the zone ends.

St Luke's connects Pallion, through ford (new estate) and onto Pennywell

If there’s no sign then the local authority have fucked up, but iirc if you pass a prescriptive speed limit sign, you should drive like that is the speed limits until you pass another that supersedes it.

Obviously of course you take a common sense approach and if you join a road you know is a 30 don’t continue doing 20...

I’d give the council a ring

More signs have appeared in the area. I don't think the top end of st Luke's road has changed from a 30 limit, yet.

The 20mph zone is near that private school in Pennywell, from just before the roundabout for the shops, to the roundabout at the old grindon mill, now a gym

Pallion, lower ford area is all 20mph

Good stuff. It does not mention St Luke's road as having a zone already

However the article states there should be end signs and none exist in this area. So it would seem the 20mph zone will stretch from Pennywell all the way down to Pallion.

Hidden speed camera vans no doubt will catch a few with this confusing signage and lack of clarity.
Agree. Good way of making money though

Back