20mph limits in Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stephen cartwright

Turning towards the shops at Pennywell, the private school road, I saw there is a new sign which states it's a 20mph zone.

Now I know part of St Luke's road in Pallion is a 20 mph zone, but with this sign in Pennywell, does that now mean the top of St Luke's road, where the new estate is, around to where St Anne's church and primary school are, is now a 20mph zone as well, as there is no indication of the end of such a zone?

I ask as there is regularly a stationary speed camera van set up and you could easy get caught by the confusing signage

Soon we will be down to the days, when someone walked in front of your vehicle, waving a flag to warn of your approach

Found this, its got the street names, so its just round the school, not hylton/st lukes road.

New 20mph zones proposed for roads around Sunderland schools - which streets are covered?

Think its a bit shite mind, no need for 20mph, apart from school times. Ones ive passed in Durham have 20mph only when lights are flashing, at school start/end times.
Nice way to make money though. Not f***ing daft, are they?

Fuckin' solid driving at 20mph mind.
May as well get out and push

While we’re on, what in tarnation is the point of making Wessington Way a 50 now? It’s been perfectly fine as a 70 for years. Yet again the highways dept nannying people who they seem to think incapable of slowing down in time for roundabouts and traffic queues.

Found this, its got the street names, so its just round the school, not hylton/st lukes road.

New 20mph zones proposed for roads around Sunderland schools - which streets are covered?

Think its a bit shite mind, no need for 20mph, apart from school times. Ones ive passed in Durham have 20mph only when lights are flashing, at school start/end times.
Good stuff. It does not mention St Luke's road as having a zone already

However the article states there should be end signs and none exist in this area. So it would seem the 20mph zone will stretch from Pennywell all the way down to Pallion.

Hidden speed camera vans no doubt will catch a few with this confusing signage and lack of clarity.

While we’re on, what in tarnation is the point of making Wessington Way a 50 now? It’s been perfectly fine as a 70 for years. Yet again the highways dept nannying people who they seem to think incapable of slowing down in time for roundabouts and traffic queues.

I emailed councillor mordey about this. He head's up the team that made this decision, the reason is to bring it in line with other similar roads like the A690 :rolleyes:
Not that they are in anyway similar apart from being a dual carriageway though. Although it wont really matter when the other roundabouts are converted into light controlled junctions in stage 4 or 5 of the SSTC.

This is exactly my thoughts, during school times 20mph around schools makes perfect sense. At 10pm at night it makes zero sense. There has to be some way to have variable speed limits.

I emailed councillor mordey about this. He head's up the team that made this decision, the reason is to bring it in line with other similar roads like the A690 :rolleyes:
Not that they are in anyway similar apart from being a dual carriageway though. Although it wont really matter when the other roundabouts are converted into light controlled junctions in stage 4 or 5 of the SSTC.

This is exactly my thoughts, during school times 20mph around schools makes perfect sense. At 10pm at night it makes zero sense. There has to be some way to have variable speed limits.

That’s an absolutely insane idea. When do they ever speed up traffic flow?
Every single tailback on the way to work is due to lights on roundabouts.

Good stuff. It does not mention St Luke's road as having a zone already

However the article states there should be end signs and none exist in this area. So it would seem the 20mph zone will stretch from Pennywell all the way down to Pallion.

Hidden speed camera vans no doubt will catch a few with this confusing signage and lack of clarity.

This seems to suggest they don’t do anything for infringing a 20mph limit.

http://www.safespeedforlife.co.uk/driver-info/

If you are hit by my Navara at 50mph you are fucked so may as well take speed limits away in those areas.
I think motorways should be 80-90mph personally.

Problems at schools is the cars that park there to drop off/pick up their bairns not the cars that go past them. Does neebody walk to school any more?
Parents are scared their kids will get nonced. My kid is ugly so he walks.

That’s an absolutely insane idea. When do they ever speed up traffic flow?
Every single tailback on the way to work is due to lights on roundabouts.

It's not confirmed yet, but hinted at. It's no surprise that the only roundabout on the A1231 with tailbacks is the one with traffic lights on it. The A183 and A690 becoming determinant lights was stupid too. Compare those three to the A690/A1 junction where they are temporary based on traffic volume, you never need to queue so its makes the point even more.

I can see the need at peak times when you need to even the flow out otherwise you can end up with one approach clogged up and the others near empty, but for hours of the day they are not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back