2024 T20 Blast

brandon

Striker
Finals Day will be held on 14 September, sandwiched between two England v Australia T20’s (13th and 15th) meaning it is highly unlikely that England players will be available for their counties.

Yet more intentional destruction of the county game from FTECB.

Finals Day will be held on 14 September, sandwiched between two England v Australia T20’s (13th and 15th) meaning it is highly unlikely that England players will be available for their counties.

Agreed. Thankfully the counties won’t be bought off over the group game formats

That’s not good at all mind, the best players should always be available for finals day

Last edited:
That’s not good at all mind, the best players should always be available for finals day
I agree and disagree. On one hand yeah of course it’d be great for the tournament if they’re playing, but on the other hand it doesn’t seen fair that players are dropped that have been playing throughout and got the team to the finals, just to shoehorn the internationals in

I agree and disagree. On one hand yeah of course it’d be great for the tournament if they’re playing, but on the other hand it doesn’t seen fair that players are dropped that have been playing throughout and got the team to the finals, just to shoehorn the internationals in
That’s always been the case mind mate for as long as I remember even before T20 in the domestic 50 over competition where international players would go away, but then come back into their county side when available, including semi finals and finals

And besides a finals day should have as many quality players as possible and no expert on the calendar and I imagine difficult nowadays surely there must have been a better to arrange it rather than right between two international games

That’s always been the case mind mate for as long as I remember even before T20 in the domestic 50 over competition where international players would go away, but then come back into their county side when available, including semi finals and finals

And besides a finals day should have as many quality players as possible and no expert on the calendar and I imagine difficult nowadays surely there must have been a better to arrange it rather than right between two international games
The revenue from the England games finances the domestic game. I think we have to accept that England players can no longer be part of the domestic structure.
That's the purpose of central contracts.

Last edited:
But then the Hundred can parachute in players whenever they like who aren't even on their books. England players are part of counties after all. With some white ball players on incremental contracts too. So not fully paid by ECB.

In 2 of the 3 Hundred finals a player has been signed just for the one game. Bedingham was the other year and Stirling his year. Dunno about last year as I didn't even glance at the Hundred once, as had a lot going on. Cricket was irrelevant.

The Stirling one this year was particularly ridiculous seeing as they had Muyeye and Clark on their books already. Muyeye that didn't play a minute until Cox got injured. Clark called up as Cox replacement and then didn't play a single minute.

So you can't criticise one while supporting the other.

Last edited:

Beyond the paywall:

County Championship will be shunted to margins of English summer​

Exclusive: The changes means that there will be no red-ball domestic cricket between early July and the final week of August

By Will Macpherson, Cricket News Correspondent 1 September 2023 • 3:56pm

The County Championship is set to be shunted to the margins of the summer in 2024 with English cricket building its calendar around June’s T20 World Cup.
In recent seasons, an effort has been made to play more red-ball cricket in the prime summer months, July especially, when the weather and pitches should be at their best. This season, there were two Championship rounds in June and three in July.
In 2024, it is understood that in provisional schedules, there is no red-ball action between the first couple of days of July and the final week of August. The competition will be almost exclusively played in April, May and September.
The season’s structure will be approximately as follows:
  • April and May: two months of County Championship
  • June: first bank of Blast action, followed by two rounds of Championship
  • July: completion of Blast groups, followed by the start of Hundred and One-Day Cup
  • August: Hundred runs until August 18. ODC runs alongside. One round of Championship at end of month
  • September: Blast knockouts; ODC final; completion of Championship
The Vitality Blast is the competition worst-affected by the World Cup, which takes place in the Caribbean and USA between June 4 and 30. The Blast will largely be played in two blocks, one in June and one in July (with two rounds of Championship between), before concluding with quarter-finals and Finals Day in September. The competition faces a challenge to attract overseas talent because of the World Cup, and the gap between the groups and the knockouts. As revealed by Telegraph Sport earlier this week, county chiefs are looking at ways they can freshen up the competition’s group stages.
The quantity of cricket played by counties – 14 Championship matches, 14 Blast group games, and eight One-Day Cup group games – is set to stay the same in 2024.
However, the overall county structure will be up for debate once more in 2025. Last year, the domestic structure recommendations from Andrew Strauss’s High Performance Review were rejected by the counties, but it seems likely that there will be another attempt to reduce the overall amount of cricket played from 2025.
England men’s international schedule is also affected by the T20 World Cup. For the first time in a while they have white-ball internationals that directly clash with the Indian Premier League, with Pakistan visiting for four T20s in May. After the World Cup, they play three Tests against West Indies in July and, after a break for the Hundred, three Tests against Sri Lanka in August and September. The international season concludes with three ODIs and three T20s against Australia in September.

You have to laugh.

Our game is being dismantled before our eyes, and some of you are gladly ushering it in.

Keep chipping away until you get want you want, keep getting little concessions, keep the pressure up until the dam bursts.

Once it's gone, it's gone.

The Brexit playback being utilised brilliantly.

The revenue from the England games finances the domestic game. I think we have to accept that England players can no longer be part of the domestic structure.
That's the purpose of central contracts.
Yeah I agree in general, inevitably the National team has to come first, and it can’t be disputed that since central contracts introduced it has greatly improved our national teams fortunes.

In fact as mentioned by the commentators several times on recent matches, the talent pool for England cricket teams is as deep as can remember,

Everything extremely positive as far as England cricket teams go at the moment

Last edited:

Back