2024 Cycling Thread

Watching todays PR at the moment.Seems like every week there's a monster solo attack from miles out that sticks the distance now.

And every week there's a new speed record set.

Last question on it I swear :lol: What’s the best way to get up to Whitehaven for it? Last thing we haven’t organised. Few people have said the train is there any cheap minibus companies that run people up etc

Cheers lads. Regarding tyres etc does it make that much difference going from mountain bike tyres to hybrid? Will be taking the bare minimum in a back pack for the 3 days. What do you recommend taking bike wise in it. Obviously a pump puncture repair kit etc. Is it worth taking extra inner tubes and that or is that overkill?
I done it on a road bike in a day a few months back.

Just take a few spare puncture kits and an inner tube. I actually burst mine cycling to Central station to get the train to Whitehaven. Was one down before i even started.

:lol: Just trying to find the easiest way with 3 lads and 3 bikes
doesnt help you, it was me & a mate who did it together and another lad took us over early one friday morning (he had a bike rack), we bunged him some petrol money.
I actually burst mine cycling to Central station to get the train to Whitehaven.
i burst an inner coming down whinlater at a fair few mph... :-/

Last edited:
Last question on it I swear :lol: What’s the best way to get up to Whitehaven for it? Last thing we haven’t organised. Few people have said the train is there any cheap minibus companies that run people up etc

Few minibus companies do it but none of them will be cheap especially only the 3 of you. A mate with a bike rack or the train is your best bet.

Now I'm shite technically but have a query on cassette spacers...was replacing the Wahoo cassette and the one I'm putting on has a couple of black spacers at certain sprockets...dropped it and now not sure where to place the spacers. They were between sprockets but does it matter between which sprockets I put them back ?
Guessing it does as shifters will be "indexed" a certain way and if spacers not at the same place as before might make some shifts messy.

These aren't the shifters that go at the base of the freehub btw.

Now I'm shite technically but have a query on cassette spacers...was replacing the Wahoo cassette and the one I'm putting on has a couple of black spacers at certain sprockets...dropped it and now not sure where to place the spacers. They were between sprockets but does it matter between which sprockets I put them back ?
Guessing it does as shifters will be "indexed" a certain way and if spacers not at the same place as before might make some shifts messy.

These aren't the shifters that go at the base of the freehub btw.

Any good?

Arn't all the plastic spacers the same and interchangable for the biggest cogs, and the smaller cogs don't need spacers because the space is built in the cog ?

Could be wrong, but it should be obvious when you rea semble the cassette.

Arn't all the plastic spacers the same and interchangable for the biggest cogs, and the smaller cogs don't need spacers because the space is built in the cog ?

Could be wrong, but it should be obvious when you rea semble the cassette.
This, it's obvious. Mostly.

Sprocket, spacer, sprocket, spacer. You need your sprockets to be spaced equally all the way across as "Indexing" is just matching how far your derailleur travels laterally to what your sprockets are spaced at.

Back