2024 Cycling Thread

Only done it the twice and both on road bikes so unable to comment about mtb and hybrid set up.

What sort of mileage are you on about that you’re doing now ?

Not sure about your fitness but always worth doing some hill reps if you can find something suitable…anyhow good luck
Last ride I done was about 45 miles in about 4 and half hours which was a comfortable ride I would say. Fitness wise I would say I’m canny but that’s just jogging. Gonna be going out on the bike a lot before we do it but don’t know the best kind of rides to be doing to get ready cos don’t think I’ll have the time for big ones all the time.

Last ride I done was about 45 miles in about 4 and half hours which was a comfortable ride I would say. Fitness wise I would say I’m canny but that’s just jogging. Gonna be going out on the bike a lot before we do it but don’t know the best kind of rides to be doing to get ready cos don’t think I’ll have the time for big ones all the time.
I’d say if you can do 45 ish now you shouldn’t be that far away…just try and up the longer rides a bit and try and get some hills in.
Just general advice as don’t know what sort of bike or riding you do.

I’d say if you can do 45 ish now you shouldn’t be that far away…just try and up the longer rides a bit and try and get some hills in.
Just general advice as don’t know what sort of bike or riding you do.

3 days riding....just over 40 miles a day average....easily doable.
If you're not used to the climbs they'll still be be tough mind.

Did the Eden Vally 200k audax yesterday.....brutal first 70k into a headwind. Lovely coming back north.
Conditions aside, it was a cracking route...

Last edited:
I did it 10-12 years ago and my fitness was probably similar to yours by the sounds of it. Living in gateshead I practised hill reps up & down to the QE from Team Valley, think that’s the best advice for me is to get climbing miles in your legs.

Cheers lads. Regarding tyres etc does it make that much difference going from mountain bike tyres to hybrid? Will be taking the bare minimum in a back pack for the 3 days. What do you recommend taking bike wise in it. Obviously a pump puncture repair kit etc. Is it worth taking extra inner tubes and that or is that overkill?

Cheers lads. Regarding tyres etc does it make that much difference going from mountain bike tyres to hybrid? Will be taking the bare minimum in a back pack for the 3 days. What do you recommend taking bike wise in it. Obviously a pump puncture repair kit etc. Is it worth taking extra inner tubes and that or is that overkill?

I'd definitely take a couple of spare tubes....easier to swap to tube than repair the flat st the side of the road.
Your mountain bike tyres will be fine, especially riding over 3 days...
If you stick the hybrid tyres on they'll make you a bit quicker but not by a huge amount.

You request has brought back memories of the SMB C2C about 10 years ago (in 1 day though). Top event, on the day of the FA Cup Final when Wigan beat Man City!! 😳😳

Heartily recommend that you get some decent cycling shorts and some chamois cream. If you’re not used to it, a chafed undercarriage will be your biggest enemy!!
😖😖

You request has brought back memories of the SMB C2C about 10 years ago (in 1 day though). Top event, on the day of the FA Cup Final when Wigan beat Man City!! 😳😳

Heartily recommend that you get some decent cycling shorts and some chamois cream. If you’re not used to it, a chafed undercarriage will be your biggest enemy!!
😖😖
Aye I’ve got padded lycra ones that I use that do the job. Probably won’t smell great day 3 so might buy a second pair :lol:

Back