RTG 2021-2022 Fixtures

Very little thought for supporters for some fixtures, both games v Cheltenham are midweek meaning a long visit for both sets of travelling fans. We've also got midweek trips to Burton, Crewe and Shrewsbury with all of them either followed or preceded by another long away journey.

RTG have published the full fixture list? :eek: I'm gonna report yous to the EFL!
One virtual and one physical publication could always be nominated by every club to publish its fixtures in full for free. Obviously no club was gonna risk upsetting other publications by nominating one over others. Especially with the shit that’s slung at them from just about every corner.

One virtual and one physical publication could always be nominated by every club to publish its fixtures in full for free. Obviously no club was gonna risk upsetting other publications by nominating one over others. Especially with the shit that’s slung at them from just about every corner.

Yeh, I do get that.

But I must admit hadn't realised that a copyright claim had been thrown out in 2012.... though I'd also never understood how (and why) the authorities would want to limit the free spread of information that was basically free advertising for their clubs in order to attract paying customers.

I always understood the stance of the club on that one, as they were never going to be able to pick one between say us or ALS or any of the other sites at that time.

There was however a half-way house where an individual club could approve the use of their fixtures - if they didn't do that, we had to buy the full set of fixtures for every club in the league.

Of course the club refused to agree to approve use of their fixtures...just like they refuse to agree that we can use player photos or match photos regardless of whether we purchase them from an approved agency or not - the agencies are happy to licence them to us, but it also needs the club approval!

The full fixture list would have cost us £12,500 for licence and "delivery".
Yeh, I do get that.

But I must admit hadn't realised that a copyright claim had been thrown out in 2012.... though I'd also never understood how (and why) the authorities would want to limit the free spread of information that was basically free advertising for their clubs in order to attract paying customers.

I doubt that the clubs really did - the football authorities were basically seeking to stop the pools companies and betting companies making money out of it without getting something in return - obviously they try and monetise every little thing they can.

They in turn employed football dataco and net result to chase down and prosecute anyone who published the fixtures and of course we were caught up in the crossfire.

The printed papers and traditional press did a special deal whereby they got the fixtures for a very low licence fee.

Last edited:
I always understood the stance of the club on that one, as they were never going to be able to pick one between say us or ALS or any of the other sites at that time.

There was however a half-way house where an individual club could approve the use of their fixtures - if they didn't do that, we had to buy the full set of fixtures for every club in the league.

Of course the club refused to agree to approve use of their fixtures...just like they refuse to agree that we can use player photos or match photos regardless of whether we purchase them from an approved agency or not - the agencies are happy to licence them to us, but it also needs the club approval!

The full fixture list would have cost us £12,500 for licence and "delivery".

I doubt that the clubs really did - the football authorities were basically seeking to stop the pools companies and betting companies making money out of it without getting something in return - obviously they try and monetise every little thing they can.

They in turn employed football dataco and net result to chase down and prosecute anyone who published the fixtures and of course we were caught up in the crossfire.

The printed papers and traditional press did a special deal whereby they got the fixtures for a very low licence fee.
Spot on.

Were rtg nivver legally allowed to run a mixed league fixture prediction thingy? Yknow summet like Safc, the mags, boro, Hartlepool, Darlington, Celtic, Rangers, Barca, real, Juve, inter, AC Milan, Bayern etc? Or do you just not want that sorta thing on here?

We did have a prediction league on here (just SAFC results), but that was closed down by the threats from the authorities.

By the time the legal threats were removed, the software we used to run it had been abandoned and we had also switched forum software so it wasn't suitable for use any longer. If I could find some good prediction league software that integrated nicely with the forums I would certainly consider doing it again - ideally I think just SAFC results to keep it straightforward and of interest to the majority.

Back