2020 cycling thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone able to recomend me a decent starter bike? looking at using it on zwift as well with a smart trainer. cheers
Get the cheapest bike possible if it's for indoor use. I'm selling a giant road bike for 200 quid, I'm 6ft 2 if that helps.

I’d never buy a bike for indoor use :eek:
turbo‘s have their place, but imo as a supplement to getting outside

Reactions: D.A
nearly two months since i started cycling, decided to buy a cycle computer today to bettee track my stats and help navigate. got the garmin edge 520 plus and sensor bundle at wiggle.

I'd disagree on the cadence sensor, mind. I think its useful to be able to pedal at a decent range of cadences, then you're not screwed when you're in the wrong gear.

I know what cadence I feel comfortable with and want...don’t need a gizmo to tell me.
Far too many people think some pro rides at whatever cadence and thinks they should replicate...some riders like turning a bigger gear, some prefer to spin. Often depends on physiology and build.

totally different I’d say riding a TT with a power mete, where alongside cadence sensor it can virtually predict a time (obviously knowing cda)
I know what cadence I feel comfortable with and want...don’t need a gizmo to tell me.
Far too many people think some pro rides at whatever cadence and thinks they should replicate...some riders like turning a bigger gear, some prefer to spin. Often depends on physiology and build.

totally different I’d say riding a TT with a power mete, where alongside cadence sensor it can virtually predict a time (obviously knowing cda)

in ten minutes just googled ideal cycling cadence and there are dozens on conflicting opinions...
not a right or wrong cadence to ride with

Last edited:

in ten minutes just googled ideal cycling cadence and there are dozens on conflicting opinions...

I recently read an article on this very subject. The scientific consensus is that the most efficient cadence is slightly slower and more effort than you would naturally opt for, but most cyclists tend to not follow this and go with what feels right.

I agree. But none of those are the reason I cited.

I recently read an article on this very subject. The scientific consensus is that the most efficient cadence is slightly slower and more effort than you would naturally opt for, but most cyclists tend to not follow this and go with what feels right.

like everything it’s so individual...lower cadence simply put takes toll on muscles whereas high cadence on cardiovascular ( simplistic I know)
that’s why applying an arbitrary cadence to a rider 14 stone or say 10 stone would be pointles.

easy to say with so much online resource, a lot of it fantastic, but sometimes ride your bike initially and let it all fit
I agree. But none of those are the reason I cited.

surely using gears correctly for each individual will lead automat to legs settling on appropriate cadence.

If I suddenly hit a 20% gradient, my legs will find a gear and cadence I need...or a 3% drag and again I’ll find cadence and gear i want.

I’m all for bike tech and I’ve done enough FTP, ramp, lactate and VO2 tests over the years but the one thing I’ve never been bothered about is cadence.

Last edited:
like everything it’s so individual...lower cadence simply put takes toll on muscles whereas high cadence on cardiovascular ( simplistic I know)
that’s why applying an arbitrary cadence to a rider 14 stone or say 10 stone would be pointles.

easy to say with so much online resource, a lot of it fantastic, but sometimes ride your bike initially and let it all fit

surely using gears correctly for each individual will lead automat to legs settling on appropriate cadence.

If I suddenly hit a 20% gradient, my legs will find a gear and cadence I need...or a 3% drag and again I’ll find cadence and gear i want.

I’m all for bike tech and I’ve done enough FTP, ramp, lactate and VO2 tests over the years but the one thing I’ve never been bothered about is cadence.
You can easily get in the wrong gear and by the time you've changed it you'll need to change it back. E.g. Downhill into a steep uphill. If my legs aren't going to fall off at 90 rpm I can get into my bottom gear earlier and don't have to change under load.

the bundle price was cheaper than the cycle computer on its own to be honest :lol: like i said, im not a pro, only been cycling since early May. I have been using my old Forerunner 235 watch to monitor my rides but just wanted something which will be a bit more accurate, especially the heartrate monitor. The maps and navigation will also be very helpful to me as i progress to longer rides.

I got a cadence sensor a few months back with my new bike. I've never used one and have little interest in fitting it, as others have said. Its still sitting in the garage on a shelf. I have to say though, if i was training for something, then i'd consider fitting it.

I got a cadence sensor a few months back with my new bike. I've never used one and have little interest in fitting it, as others have said. Its still sitting in the garage on a shelf. I have to say though, if i was training for something, then i'd consider fitting it.
Think the only ehing I used it for was to relieve the boredom going up a pissing wet col grand Bernard. Kept the focus

Think the only ehing I used it for was to relieve the boredom going up a pissing wet col grand Bernard. Kept the focus

yeah they’re handy as boredom gizmo’s things like this.
Bit like power metres for many riders, interesting but often not utilised fully.

Years ago I experimented with different cadences for TT. I discovered that I could sustain a faster pace spinning with a high cadence but after about 4 miles I fell to pieces. If I wanted to get to the finish line as fast as possible I used to do about 85-90 I think. I never used power meter cos I'm too tight and I never took it that seriously anyway. These days I'm happy if I can look down and see that I'm still turning the f***ing pedals :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back