2020 cycling thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date
I recently bought a chain and casette from mantel. It wad cheaper than just a casette from wiggle.

Can't find him?

toby28ha on eBay

Try that. I got a HG95 Shimano XT/ XTR for sixteen quid when it’s £26 plus from the regular online retailers.

Without the faff of breaking chain to see how long it needs to be, how will I know if 114 or 118 links are needed ?
semi compact 52 chainring with 28 tooth cassette
You're asking the wrong person :lol::lol: if you get the 118, you can always remove links?
toby28ha on eBay

Try that. I got a HG95 Shimano XT/ XTR for sixteen quid when it’s £26 plus from the regular online retailers.
Has he got anything for sale?

Last edited:
I recently bought a chain and casette from mantel. It wad cheaper than just a casette from wiggle.

Can't find him?

Mantel do have some stonking deals - i picked up my Lezyne Super Pro from there at xmas for £75 (RRP closer to double that) when my forerunner 310xt finally gave up

the equivalent garmin would have been closer to £200

Without the faff of breaking chain to see how long it needs to be, how will I know if 114 or 118 links are needed ?
semi compact 52 chainring with 28 tooth cassette
If you are swapping like for like - ie if you have the same chainring & cassette setup as before then just make the new chain the same no of links as the one you just took off.
Otherwise you put the chain on and find out how many links you need to remove for the chain to make the rear derailleur cage be approx vertical when in the highest gear (big ring, smallest sprocket). At least I think that's what it is - to be honest I need to check up every time myself because it's not something you do very often. You are usually just swapping like-for-like. I'm sure it will be described on Youtube somewhere.
Fixed gear is much simpler though.

If you are swapping like for like - ie if you have the same chainring & cassette setup as before then just make the new chain the same no of links as the one you just took off.
Otherwise you put the chain on and find out how many links you need to remove for the chain to make the rear derailleur cage be approx vertical when in the highest gear (big ring, smallest sprocket). At least I think that's what it is - to be honest I need to check up every time myself because it's not something you do very often. You are usually just swapping like-for-like. I'm sure it will be described on Youtube somewhere.
Fixed gear is much simpler though.

aye swapping like for like...just didn't want to order a 114 link to then take off the chain and see the old one is say 117.
Some sites have the 114 but not the 118
Yep sure YouTube have links etc

where do people buy their chains from ?
Normally just get Cycleworld to change them while bikes are in for something else. Given how busy bike shops are lately guess I'd better do my own.

After KMC 11 speeds and I can see reasonably priced silver and black ones, they look crap.
The plain silver "normal" 11 speed chains seem far more expensive than I'm used to paying.
Wiggle- failing that, I take it round the corner to Carlos at Herrington Burn.
Wiggle- failing that, I take it round the corner to Carlos at Herrington Burn.
Saying that, Carlos is fully booked too. So, I’ve Just spent the best part of 3 days fitting internal routed rear derailleur cable. Got it all connected up, only to find there was no clicks from the shifter. Used WD40 to flush it out, still nothing. This morning opened internal workings of shifters and there’s a remnant of the old snapped cable lodged in it. Working fine now after indexing.

Last edited by a moderator:
first time hitting 50 miles today. done 53 miles cycling from shields to just beyond consett, cycling along the tyne to swalwell the joining the national cycle route 14 all the way to consett and then joining the national cycle route 7 and staying on that until sunderland, then back to shields. Enjoyed it.
I usually struggle when I get into 40 miles. My ok for 3 hours then hit a bit of a wall.

With me if I'm riding on normal local roads it's boredom that gets me.. 4 to four and half hour and bored shitless.
Cycling abroad totally different but just lack motivation to do lengthy rides here
Yep- We have booked a cottage in Hereford shire - near the Welsh border in 3 weeks time - I'm so looking forward to different lanes, villages and being in the Black Mountains. Cycling over Gospel Pass is a decent challenge and very beautiful.

I fitted some new 50mm Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tyres on my MTB/touring bike rebuild. Been riding it for a week and already had two f***ing punctures! The second one was a piece of glass that went right through the middle of the tread. They roll brilliantly but I thought these things had a reputation of being practically puncture proof.

I fitted some new 50mm Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tyres on my MTB/touring bike rebuild. Been riding it for a week and already had two f***ing punctures! The second one was a piece of glass that went right through the middle of the tread. They roll brilliantly but I thought these things had a reputation of being practically puncture proof.

My ‘proper mtb’ is tubeless and I’ve not had a puncture in six or seven years of off-road riding.
My retro bike with schwalbe road tyres and tubes have suffered three in the past two months.
I’m going to try to convert them to tubeless even though the rims aren’t tubeless specific.

Back