2020 cycling thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Any e bike users on here, or are they considered sub human scum?

I fancy the new van moof s3 and might go for it this week. Keep my hybrid for off road shenanigans as it's a dog on the road.
Scum. Sub human scum.
I've had it 5 years and still bulletproof despite two falls
Nice one. Thanks a lot. Ordered online. 55€ seems decent in comparison to other options.

Logon or register to see this image

Nice retro project that.

I believe @Skandhaless owns and rides an old school Marin.
Thanks. I still don't know how it is that I can't post my own f***ing pictures successfully, but fuck it. Anyway, this is my ancient Marin Bear Valley SE mountain bike. I bought it I think 31 years ago from Harry Hall's in Manchester. Steel frame from the days before suspension was invented. Everything was so worn on it that it was pretty much unusable, and you can't buy the replacement bits for 7speed deore kit, etc. So I have decided to re-purpose it as a flat-bar touring bike.
You see it here after I stripped it down, chucked all the bits in the bin and tidied up the frame ready for rebuild. I have so far added new Deore 9speed front & rear mechs and shifters, new brake levers, new bb, new cables, second hand but hardly used Deore XT triple crankset and rear alloy pannier rack. New XT cassette, new brake blocks, new chain & tyres are waiting to be fitted. I have saved & re-used the existing bar ends & grips, brake calipers, headset bearing (stripped & re-greased), front pannier rack, saddle & mudguards. (Front panniers & mudguards were on cos I had been using it for years as a shopping bike with child seat, child's trailer-bike & stuff). I'm waiting for the new wheels that I ordered from my lbs. Out of a spirit of altruism I thought I won't buy them from the interweb, I won't buy the bits online and build them myself, I'll give the poor lbs some business in these hard times of lockdown. Actually the bloke is an excellent wheel builder so they'll be really sound - anyway so I emailed them to say what hubs & rims I wanted. A couple of weeks later I inquired where my f***ing wheels were. It turns out he had to order the rims and the supplier only sent one, cos that's all they had in stock, so we're waiting for a rim to be imported whenever! It's been 5 weeks now since I ordered the buggers. There's no urgency cos I can't really use the bike yet for what It's intended, but I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas now itching to get this thing finished, get some new panniers and fuck off on the road for a bit.
I haven't worked out how much I have spent on it yet (mainly cos I don't want the mrs to find out) but most of the stuff has been picked up off that ebay & in online sales so it has got to be a hell of a lot less than a new Surly LHT, which is what I had been considering.

Last edited:
Thanks. I still don't know how it is that I can't post my own f***ing pictures successfully, but fuck it. Anyway, this is my ancient Marin Bear Valley SE mountain bike. I bought it I think 31 years ago from Harry Hall's in Manchester. Steel frame from the days before suspension was invented. Everything was so worn on it that it was pretty much unusable, and you can't buy the replacement bits for 7speed deore kit, etc. So I have decided to re-purpose it as a flat-bar touring bike.
You see it here after I stripped it down, chucked all the bits in the bin and tidied up the frame ready for rebuild. I have so far added new Deore 9speed front & rear mechs and shifters, new brake levers, new bb, new cables, second hand but hardly used Deore XT triple crankset and rear alloy pannier rack. New XT cassette, new brake blocks, new chain & tyres are waiting to be fitted. I have saved & re-used the existing bar ends & grips, brake calipers, headset bearing (stripped & re-greased), front pannier rack, saddle & mudguards. (Front panniers & mudguards were on cos I had been using it for years as a shopping bike with child seat, child's trailer-bike & stuff). I'm waiting for the new wheels that I ordered from my lbs. Out of a spirit of altruism I thought I won't buy them from the interweb, I won't buy the bits online and build them myself, I'll give the poor lbs some business in these hard times of lockdown. Actually the bloke is an excellent wheel builder so they'll be really sound - anyway so I emailed them to say what hubs & rims I wanted. A couple of weeks later I inquired where my f***ing wheels were. It turns out he had to order the rims and the supplier only sent one, cos that's all they had in stock, so we're waiting for a rim to be imported whenever! It's been 5 weeks now since I ordered the buggers. There's no urgency cos I can't really use the bike yet for what It's intended, but I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas now itching to get this thing finished, get some new panniers and fuck off on the road for a bit.
I haven't worked out how much I have spent on it yet (mainly cos I don't want the mrs to find out) but most of the stuff has been picked up off that ebay & in online sales so it has got to be a hell of a lot less than a new Surly LHT, which is what I had been considering.

Excellent! I did something similar just after Christmas. Bought a 1997 Orange frame and built it up with a mix of period components but also some new kit (XTR rear mech and shifters). I‘ve put some road tyres on and paid over the top for Onza bar ends.
Im getting out on it more than my main bike and it’s opened up routes and days out I wouldn’t have considered as my main bike is more enduro biased.
Thoroughly enjoying it.

Edit. I too don’t want to work out how much it’s cost :lol:

Last edited:
I've been looking at an old le monde frame that's been chained to a bike rack near me for 4 years. I think I'll rescue it.

Excellent! I did something similar just after Christmas. Bought a 1997 Orange frame and built it up with a mix of period components but also some new kit (XTR rear mech and shifters. I‘ve put some road tyres on and paid over the top for Onza bar ends.
Im getting out on it more than my main bike and it’s opened up routes and days out I wouldn’t have considered as my main bike is more enduro biased.
Thoroughly enjoying it.

I'd pay silly money for that.

I fancy the new van moof s3 and might go for it this week. Keep my hybrid for off road shenanigans as it's a dog on the road.
I absolutely think e-bikes are a great idea to enable the old and infirm to keep riding when they would otherwise be unable. Good for you, I say.
I imagine that I will resort to using one when the time comes, but as I'm only 65 now that shouldn't be for at least another twenty years or more ☺
Excellent! I did something similar just after Christmas. Bought a 1997 Orange frame and built it up with a mix of period components but also some new kit (XTR rear mech and shifters). I‘ve put some road tyres on and paid over the top for Onza bar ends.
Thoroughly enjoying it.

That looks nice. I'm deliberately not making mine look so attractive as an anti-theft strategy. I have just done a rudimentary touch-up job on the paintwork, and kept the old mudguards for that reason - the front one is still buckled from when I drove into a car park height barrier in Portsmouth once (the bike was OK, apart from mudguards, but the roof bars and the roof of my BMW 520 didn't come off so well).

Last edited:
I gave my mountain bike to my son last year and am fancying a road bike.
I cycle a bit at the gym (a few weeks since).
Normally do about 50k a week and a couple of spin classes a week.

my budget is around £1,000 but I know nothing about frames cassettes and the like. I know that my budget is limited and I know this is entry level but suits me fine.

Any advice welcome

To get up big bastard hills and to do a geet massive run, which I fancy. My longest ever is about 30km doing 20km max atm. Then aye.
Could you not train for it?
I gave my mountai bike to my son last year and am fancying a road bike.

my budget is around £1,000 but I know nothing about frames cassettes and the like. I know that my budget is limited and I know this is entry level but suits me fine.

Any advice welcome
Buy second hand, better value.

Any advice welcome

Btwin or Planet X for a new bike...I’d be looking to spend well under a grand for first road bike.

you can always upgrade certain things later

Any advice welcome
Although you will be able to get a decent bike for that money, like has been said you will be better off looking to pick up something better second hand. You will need to be sure of what you want and what you are looking for like, but just as an example I had a quick look on eBay and this is an example of what you can get - an excellent bike for much less than your budget.
Cannondale CAAD12 Aluminium Road Bike 2018 - 58cm | eBay

Any advice welcome
Try Canyon bikes. A few on here including myself went for Canyon. Highly recommend them.

I had an interesting moment with an ebike rider. Was riding home and this bike comes screaming past me sure enough he's got an electric motor on but he's sitting upright. Immediately stood on the pedals to catch him and he's doing about 55kmh so I'm drafting him. Pedestrian steps onto zebra crossing and he hits the anchors. My rim brakes clearly to match. Tried to dodge him and couldn't so stabbed him right in the kidney with my shifter. He was furious. Fair I'd say

I had an interesting moment with an ebike rider. Was riding home and this bike comes screaming past me sure enough he's got an electric motor on but he's sitting upright. Immediately stood on the pedals to catch him and he's doing about 55kmh so I'm drafting him. Pedestrian steps onto zebra crossing and he hits the anchors. My rim brakes clearly to match. Tried to dodge him and couldn't so stabbed him right in the kidney with my shifter. He was furious. Fair I'd say
E-bikes should not provide assistance above 25km/hr Shirley? There are some around that will do so if you flick a switch, but if you do this then it no longer complies with the regulations and would need to be registered, taxed & insured as a motor vehicle & the rider would need motorbike driving license and wear a motorbike helmet. You should have pointed this out to him at the time 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back