*********2018 Cycling Thread********

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically, what you're saying @Walter Ego is that evolution has carefully designed natural selection to ensure that Audaxers will take over the world!!

People who are too fast and people who are too slow all peg it with heart attacks, so the world will come to be dominated by mudguard-bearing, saddle-bag-toting, sandal-wearing, bearded dull blokes. :lol::lol::lol:
Have you not seen this quarters Arrivee? There's a pure worldy on the front cover.

Yep I saw that. I don't have AF like. My stress ECG test showed ST segment depression, which is indicative of myocardial ischemia. So basically my actual heart is pumping like a good un but the artery supplying it is becoming restricted to some extent. So as far as I understand, at higher levels of effort it's a bit like sucking on a narrow straw.
Anyway, I'm very firmly in the "fuck it" camp. Or as my darling wife put it, considering my other recent events, "let's face it, you're probably going to die from falling off your f***ing bike long before something like this gets you". There's always a silver lining.

Yep I saw that. I don't have AF like. My stress ECG test showed ST segment depression, which is indicative of myocardial ischemia. So basically my actual heart is pumping like a good un but the artery supplying it is becoming restricted to some extent. So as far as I understand, at higher levels of effort it's a bit like sucking on a narrow straw.
Anyway, I'm very firmly in the "fuck it" camp. Or as my darling wife put it, considering my other recent events, "let's face it, you're probably going to die from falling off your f***ing bike long before something like this gets you". There's always a silver lining.

:lol::lol:
I like the cut of your wife's jib :eek::eek:

Is your condition about arterial calcification, then?

:lol::lol:
I like the cut of your wife's jib :eek::eek:

Is your condition about arterial calcification, then?
Essentially I don't think they can really know unless/until they go in and have a look, but yes I think the results are "highly indicative" of plaque formation. So then you get into the whole discussion about whether cholesterol levels are a significant factor or whether that's all bollocks. I'm in the bollocks camp me.
As I understand it if you discount factors you have no control over (age, genetics) then the major factors are: being overweight, smoking, eating crap diet, lack of exercise and stress. The only one of those that applies to me in any way is stress (and for years job-related stress has been an issue for me), and this fits very closely with the stress/inflammation theory as the cause of atherosclerosis (ie cholesterol levels are an irrelevance). But then I might just be an ignoramus talking bollock.

Essentially I don't think they can really know unless/until they go in and have a look, but yes I think the results are "highly indicative" of plaque formation. So then you get into the whole discussion about whether cholesterol levels are a significant factor or whether that's all bollocks. I'm in the bollocks camp me.
As I understand it if you discount factors you have no control over (age, genetics) then the major factors are: being overweight, smoking, eating crap diet, lack of exercise and stress. The only one of those that applies to me in any way is stress (and for years job-related stress has been an issue for me), and this fits very closely with the stress/inflammation theory as the cause of atherosclerosis (ie cholesterol levels are an irrelevance). But then I might just be an ignoramus talking bollock.

That all fits with my understanding too (I have a slightly raised calcium score). But i've read some research that it's common in highly fit middle aged 'athletes' to have raised calcium scores and yet this seems to be much more stable than in the general population and has no (or even a negative) correlation with heart problems.....

As your wife says, we're all going to go one way or another though so no point in getting exercised over doing too much exercise.

Long term forecast for this london to newcastle ride says the temperature will get up to about 28c. What are folks thoughts on them wicking, string vest type base layers? Am I better off with one or just the jersey?

Long term forecast for this london to newcastle ride says the temperature will get up to about 28c. What are folks thoughts on them wicking, string vest type base layers? Am I better off with one or just the jersey?

I use them a lot...particularly when abroad or the odd hot day in UK

I've worn them and not worn them on really hot rides and not noticed much difference, to be honest. Probably the biggest value of wearing them for me is that, if I want to pull my zip right down because it's really hot, i don't look like a member of the BeeGees with attendant chest wig, if I have a base layer on.... :oops::oops:

I've worn them and not worn them on really hot rides and not noticed much difference, to be honest. Probably the biggest value of wearing them for me is that, if I want to pull my zip right down because it's really hot, i don't look like a member of the BeeGees with attendant chest wig, if I have a base layer on.... :oops::oops:
Nowt wrong having git manly chest hair man. Chicks love it

I never wear a base layer. Bib shorts and top.

Have you got a link to the route or website about this? I’m thinking of doing Whitstable to Washington next year, if I can get my fitness up - spread over 4 days(360 miles). I’m interested on the route people take.

Have you got a link to the route or website about this? I’m thinking of doing Whitstable to Washington next year, if I can get my fitness up - spread over 4 days(360 miles). I’m interested on the route people take.
It's over 5 days but will do mate

62.0 mi Road Cycling Route on Strava — London to Cambridge

96.7 mi Road Cycling Route on Strava — Cambridge to Newark

83.9 mi Road Cycling Route on Strava — Newark to York

69.9 mi Road Cycling Route on Strava — York to Middlesborough

45.3 mi Road Cycling Route on Strava — Middlesborough to Newcastle

Last edited:

When is Day 1? You’ll be going on lots of v familiar roads @20-30 miles from me up through Essex & Cambridgeshire. I may ride out to see you!!:p:D:D

When is Day 1? You’ll be going on lots of v familiar roads @20-30 miles from me up through Essex & Cambridgeshire. I may ride out to see you!!:p:D:D
2nd July mate. Should be about 30 of us doing the first day, as there's a few folk just joining us for day 1.

2nd July mate. Should be about 30 of us doing the first day, as there's a few folk just joining us for day 1.
Can you do a turn on the front?

Last edited:

Thanks for those. I was thinking Cambridge and definitely York, but Newark looks a better route than straight north to Lincoln.

I’m not going to start decent planning until I have done my first 100 mile. I’m slowly getting there with my fitness.

Thanks for those. I was thinking Cambridge and definitely York, but Newark looks a better route than straight north to Lincoln.

I’m not going to start decent planning until I have done my first 100 mile. I’m slowly getting there with my fitness.
I'll let you know what it's like. I've not plotted the route .Really not looking forward to getting out of London on a Monday morning like.

Looking at the folk training for it, one lass has done a longest ride of 48 miles, a third of my climbing , distance, and time on the bike for the year. They might find the near century day interesting.

What's the longest you've done so far?

I'll let you know what it's like. I've not plotted the route .Really not looking forward to getting out of London on a Monday morning like.

Looking at the folk training for it, one lass has done a longest ride of 48 miles, a third of my climbing , distance, and time on the bike for the year. They might find the near century day interesting.

What's the longest you've done so far?
Looking at the route though there will only be the run out of York with any significant climbing? Should be a lot easier than C2C days.

Can you do a turn on the front?

Unfortunately, I'm in London working that morning so won't get to ride out. Where are you starting from in London and what time? Going out of London isn't too bad, although staying together as a group of 30 will be more or less impossible, I imagine. The roads up through Essex into Cambridgeshire are reasonably good; a bit of undulation but no significants climbs at all.

It's probably stating the bleeding obvious (pun intended :oops:) but the lass who's only done 48 miles needs to invest in the very best padded shorts she can afford. After a couple of days she would pay hundreds of pounds for more padding! :eek::eek: and will be fairly quiet once you're north of the M25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back