2 new signings for Durham

Pretty much a case of if you cant beat 'em join 'em. As has been said we've done our bit for the International set up including producing the best all rounder to play for England in nearly 40 years - and lets face it will we ever see him in a Durham shirt again?

Batting wise I still hold out some hope for Burnham having watched him put together some decent knocks in the CC last season but he needs to convert them into centuries but as for other local batting talent..hmm...Im not convinced. So if these two signings help us then so be it.

Would rather Durham played a couple of young local lads. Too many nonentity Saffas clogging up the system.
Address that observation to FTECB not Durham. Look at these Saffas as replacements for Wood and Stokes. Can't see anything wrong bringing experienced players in place of players we've developed for England. Would the likes of Rocky and Badger have developed as they did without the likes of Divo and Benks?

More than fine. Happy to back the lads, happy to back the club and coaching staff. Durham need to look after Durham. We owe nothing to anyone outside of the county
But still take the £2,000,000 handout from the ECB for being part of the club.
Address that observation to FTECB not Durham. Look at these Saffas as replacements for Wood and Stokes. Can't see anything wrong bringing experienced players in place of players we've developed for England. Would the likes of Rocky and Badger have developed as they did without the likes of Divo and Benks?
As long as the most important function at the club is to produce players via the academy. That we will only find out in time with the major changes they have made to the youth set up.

Last edited:
But still take the £2,000,000 handout from the ECB for being part of the club.
Whilst still under salary caps, still picking up the pieces from a relegation, still picking up the pieces from hideous test match bidding fees, still reeling from losing good players, still not allowed to host test matches....., Not part of their new 100 game, whilst other counties will be making multi millions, we are the peasants. Are you expecting me to be grateful??

Whilst still under salary caps, still picking up the pieces from a relegation, still picking up the pieces from hideous test match bidding fees, still reeling from losing good players, still not allowed to host test matches....., Not part of their new 100 game, whilst other counties will be making multi millions, we are the peasants. Are you expecting me to be grateful??
Oh but you forgot having a wage bill we could never afford and due to bad management at the club we actually broke the salary cap. Durham should be nowhere near the salary cap they are financially a small county.

Oh but you forgot having a wage bill we could never afford and due to bad management at the club we actually broke the salary cap. Durham should be nowhere near the salary cap they are financially a small county.
The ECB give us a few quid (it's the least the club deserve given what we've provided for them, which they will be earning an absolute fortune over the likes of Stokes for example), whilst other counties are set to earn a lot more. I never said we were near the salary cap. I said our salary cap was heavily reduced.... That was our thanks for producing some of the best players for England in the last 20 years. Years ago i'd have slated the club for this type of recruitment but now I genuinely don't give a toss and hope Durham just do what is right for Durham, balls to England and the ECB. It will be incredibly tough for the club with other clubs set for big money out of this new 100 game. I've gone on record on here for years slating David Harker and his management... Guess what.... I got the dogs abuse off many on here for speaking out about it. The punishment though was disgraceful given debts at other clubs. As I keep saying, would the same punishments be handed out to Surrey, Yorkshire and Middlesex??? We all know the answer. Time for Durham to put Durham first and it's crystal clear this regime are doing exactly that. They have my full support along with the wife.

The ECB give us a few quid (it's the least the club deserve given what we've provided for them, which they will be earning an absolute fortune over the likes of Stokes for example), whilst other counties are set to earn a lot more. I never said we were near the salary cap. I said our salary cap was heavily reduced.... That was our thanks for producing some of the best players for England in the last 20 years. Years ago i'd have slated the club for this type of recruitment but now I genuinely don't give a toss and hope Durham just do what is right for Durham, balls to England and the ECB. It will be incredibly tough for the club with other clubs set for big money out of this new 100 game. I've gone on record on here for years slating David Harker and his management... Guess what.... I got the dogs abuse off many on here for speaking out about it. The punishment though was disgraceful given debts at other clubs. As I keep saying, would the same punishments be handed out to Surrey, Yorkshire and Middlesex??? We all know the answer. Time for Durham to put Durham first and it's crystal clear this regime are doing exactly that. They have my full support along with the wife.
Listen the ECB punishments where way over the top. But what about counties like Derbyshire who watched us win 2 championships with a team of players we actually couldn't afford while they played by the rules. Durham have to take responsibility for what they got wrong they spent money they never had and gambled on the T20 being the financial saviour but it flopped at Durham compared to other provincial counties.

Listen the ECB punishments where way over the top. But what about counties like Derbyshire who watched us win 2 championships with a team of players we actually couldn't afford while they played by the rules. Durham have to take responsibility for what they got wrong they spent money they never had and gambled on the T20 being the financial saviour but it flopped at Durham compared to other provincial counties.
But it's ok for Yorkshire to have debts about 25 million more for example?

But it's ok for Yorkshire to have debts about 25 million more for example?
I wouldn't be happy if I supported them but as of yet they have not had to go cap in hand to the ECB to bail them out. Durham where within a few weeks of going out of business. Not even Northants who got bailed out where that far in the clarts.
But perhaps the difference between me and a lot of people on here is that I go to Durham to watch good cricket. Iam not overly concerned what division Durham are in as long as the most important issue is the development of local players who have good 1st class careers with a few going on to play for England.
At the moment iam not as convinced that that is of the up most importance at Durham especially with the changes to the Academy set up.

In fairness I don’t think it was the side that won 2 County Championships per se that was the problem.

GM is right when he mentions bad management and David Harker - one of the biggest factors was players like Harmison and Plunkett losing their centrally contracted money and us having to still pay them big bucks. I would think the majority of lads were on relatively low wages in comparison to the rest of the country.

Add to that, it was quite clearly the forced hand regarding ground development which pushed us over the edge.

I wouldn't be happy if I supported them but as of yet they have not had to go cap in hand to the ECB to bail them out. Durham where within a few weeks of going out of business. Not even Northants who got bailed out where that far in the clarts.
But perhaps the difference between me and a lot of people on here is that I go to Durham to watch good cricket. Iam not overly concerned what division Durham are in as long as the most important issue is the development of local players who have good 1st class careers with a few going on to play for England.
At the moment iam not as convinced that that is of the up most importance at Durham especially with the changes to the Academy set up.
I don't think anyone attends with the intention to watch bad cricket... But -48 points in April was hardly competitive & enjoyable.
In fairness I don’t think it was the side that won 2 County Championships per se that was the problem.

GM is right when he mentions bad management and David Harker - one of the biggest factors was players like Harmison and Plunkett losing their centrally contracted money and us having to still pay them big bucks. I would think the majority of lads were on relatively low wages in comparison to the rest of the country.

Add to that, it was quite clearly the forced hand regarding ground development which pushed us over the edge.
950k is cost the club for the Sri Lanka game. Whilst Harker was a clown, the bidding rights set by the ECB were utterly farcical. Debt wise a lot of club had, and still have greater debts to what Durham had at the time.

Last edited:

The two tend to go hand in hand though.

And when you consider the current goings on in county cricket, in terms of money and exposure, it looks very clear to me that if clubs are to survive and thrive - they need to be in CC D1, when that happens, when we start to become successful again and competing for honours, our Academy - like it was before - will come to the fore. If we continue to languish in D2 however, I fear for the future of Durham as a First Class County.

Very much see the here and now as a butterfly effect - if one aspect of the club is successful and can rise again, the Championship team for example, everything else will be carried along with it.

I’ve made much of my disgust and scepticism of the new format, but I see 2020 (the year) very much as a turning point. In exactly the same vein as 2005 turned out to be with the advent of T20. Many will remember what happened then, with some clubs, notably Leicestershire prioritising T20 and for a short time they were successful in white ball cricket, but their red ball team went catastrophically south and they’ve been Division Two wooden spoonists on and off ever since. We however didn’t give T20 too much of a thought, instead prioritising proper cricket and what happened? 3 Championship titles in the 8 seasons that followed (not to mention two one day crowns too).

I can only hope we are at a point today that will see us follow the same path as the last time and we returns to greatness.

I don't think anyone attends with the intention to watch bad cricket... But -48 points in April was hardly competitive & enjoyable.
As I have said the ECB punishments where way over the top but we need to take responsibility for the clangers we dropped.
The fact is we are a small provincial county who produce excellent local players because first of all our amateur club system which is still as strong as anywhere in the country and secondly the importance the academy is given at the county. I hope that second factor remains as important.

Derbyshire-they've got a team full of Kolpaks and other County rejects. They get funding from ECB as do all counties. That revenue comes from Test Match receipts and TV test match coverage. Can't remember the last time Derbyshire provided an England player, Durham supply them by the bucketload. How much revenue has been raised because of England's success in the last year on the back of Wood and Stokes. Durham had to spend money on costly replacements that they'd lost provided for England i.e. Colly, Harmi and Pudsey.
Durham financial mismanagement? Glamorgan, Leicester, Northants have all received bail outs without sanction from ECB and it's not their money-it's the counties, they provide the England team.
Hants were bailed out by the local authority,Yorkshire secured £20m loan only with Leeds authority providing security.
Are you and TVOR one and the same?

Last edited:
Derbyshire-they've got a team full of Kolpaks and other County rejects. They get funding from ECB as do all counties. That revenue comes from Test Match receipts and TV test match coverage. Can't remember the last time Derbyshire provided an England player, Durham supply them by the bucketload. How much revenue has been raised because of England's success in the last year on the back of Wood and Stokes. Durham had to spend money on costly replacements that they'd lost provided for England i.e. Colly, Harmi and Pudsey.
Durham financial mismanagement? Glamorgan, Leicester, Northants have all received bail outs without sanction from ECB and it's not their money-it's the counties, they provide the England team.
Hants were bailed out by the local authority,Yorkshire secured £20m loan only with Leeds authority providing security.
Are you and TVOR one and the same?
Loads of counties in the financial clarts and as I have said on here many times once one goes there will be a domino effect. The likes of Derby Leicester and a a few others should have been regionalised years ago with other counties.
Durhams best Chance to survive long term is to keep providing players for England and emphasise the fact they are a regional club.

Last edited:
Loads of counties in the financial clarts and as I have said on here many times once one goes there will be a domino effect. The likes of Derby Leicester and a a few others should have been regionalised years ago with other counties.
Durhams best Chance to survive long term is to keep providing players for England and emphasise the fact they are a regional club.
Can't disagree with any of that. Ideally though, you need academies to be easily accessible to all which necessitates a large number of them to cover all. Yeh ,maybe amalgamate Leics and Northants,even Notts and Derby but none of them produce England players anyway. With the best players centrally contacted and unavailable for counties you need quality replacements. In this context therefore nothing wrong with signing these two,they're replacing Wood and Stokes and, if they're of the correct character, they'll help to develop the youngsters. The art is getting the right balance between youth and experience.

Back