19th January Stats

Just to put into perspective. Exactly one year ago we had 33355 cases and 1610 deaths. Today we’ve had 108069 cases and 359 deaths announced.

It’s actually amazing how far we’ve come with the vaccines.
Do you think the Omnicron variant has any influence on the above numbers ?

Do you think the vaccines don’t?
Yes, I think the do have an influence. I won't however declare that the present numbers are purely down to vaccines. That is a very simplistic approach and not helpful in understanding what is going on currently.

Do you think the Omnicron variant has any influence on the current numbers ?

Yes, I think the do have an influence. I won't however declare that the present numbers are purely down to vaccines. That is a very simplistic approach and not helpful in understanding what is going on currently.

As it's the dominant strain I'd guess it does have influence.

Yes, it seems to be a combination of both the vaccine and omicron being less deadly.

Do you think the Omnicron variant has any influence on the above numbers ?
Of course omicron has a huge huge influence on the matter. However, without triple vaccinations the outcome would have been different. Also the fact that we have had millions of other cases prior to omicron.
The two things we could do that either stopped the transmission or stopped the major symptoms was lockdown and vaccinations. Since July we haven’t had to lockdown because of vaccinations.
As soon as omicron was pinpointed I conjectured that it may be the best thing that could have happened. Looks like I was right.
What was your point of questioning the point about vaccinations being the reason we are in a fantastic position?

What are the current numbers down to if not the vaccinations?

Last edited:
Of course omicron has a huge huge influence on the matter. However, without triple vaccinations the outcome would have been different. Also the fact that we have had millions of other cases prior to omicron.
The two things we could do that either stopped the transmission or stopped the major symptoms was lockdown and vaccinations. Since July we haven’t had to lockdown because of vaccinations.
As soon as omicron was pinpointed I conjectured that it may be the best thing that could have happened. Looks like I was right.
What was your point of questioning the point about vaccinations being the reason we are in a fantastic position?

What are the current numbers down to if not the vaccinations?
I don't think i've ever said that vaccinations have not affected the current numbers.
I was questioning vaccinations being put forward as the sole reason for the drop in mortality and hospitalisation numbers compared to last year.
You yourself have pointed out above some other factors involved. You can add masks, social distancing, hand cleansing and changes in social habits into the mix as well.

I don't think i've ever said that vaccinations have not affected the current numbers.
I was questioning vaccinations being put forward as the sole reason for the drop in mortality and hospitalisation numbers compared to last year.
You yourself have pointed out above some other factors involved. You can add masks, social distancing, hand cleansing and changes in social habits into the mix as well.
I was questioning your stance on it being not that simplistic. It is extremely simplistic. Without vaccinations then we would not be in this position. All the factors you have mentioned are irrelevant when it comes to where we are now.
The major reason for the reduction in deaths is that the omicron strain is very mild.
Agreed. However triple vaccination seems to help.

I'm not sure you can add social distancing and social habits in to any comparison with the same time last year given we were in a strict lockdown.
The major reason for the reduction in deaths is that the omicron strain is very mild.
As a known anti-vax loon I suspect your opinion will be taken with a pinch of salt by most people.

5.8% of the UK population have had a positive test within the last 28 days, the amount of incidental COVID positive deaths must be bloody high.

I was questioning your stance on it being not that simplistic. It is extremely simplistic. Without vaccinations then we would not be in this position. All the factors you have mentioned are irrelevant when it comes to where we are now.

Agreed. However triple vaccination seems to help.
Clear evidence published today that they do help, massively.
Yet still people harp on about it's just because "omicron is milder". The largest estimate I've seen is that Omicron is 91% less likely to result in death, but that means nothing without taking into account how communicable it is.

Vaccines have had and continue to have a massive impact; on a equal setting if not more so than the actual reduction in morbidity from omicron compared to delta.
Logon or register to see this image

No, it's increased immunity.

Last edited:

Back