1973 v 2022.

I was 6 (almost) in 1973. And I can vaguely remember it. My Dad (RIP) was there and I went to see the trophy come back. What I was wondering - is how did people re-live the moment. I’ve watched the goals from Saturday about 1000 times. Must have been well into the 80s when my Dad got me a cassette recording of the 1973 final - which I would fall asleep listening to. Was it just reading the Football Echo over and over?
Couldn’t rerun as not many VCRs about in 1973.

Had to wait for MOTD later on our black and white TV.

Was there for both, 1973 was a fantastic achievement, recognised as a famous occasion in FA Cup history.
But it was a cup game, you either win the cup or lose it.
On Saturday there was so much at stake, it was different. Fans desperate to see us leave an awful league, and what an experience it was to be part of such a huge following.
Both wonderful days but for different reasons.

Witnessed both victories and was ecstatic on Saturday especially for my son and all the thousands who witnessed their first Wembley win,after all there can't be many black and white bastards alive who've seen them win twice at Wembley

I’ve still got that LP!
Me too, but I also have the dvd and pop it on when I am in the mood. 1 was 14 in 1973 and remember the whole cup run, missed out on a Wembley ticket though.
No real comparison, Saturday was great, but 73 was proper David and Goliath stuff.
HTL.

There was an LP record of the Radio 2 commentary called “Sunderland’s Cup”, I’d listen to it regularly, especially the fans singing during and after the game.

It was 1986 before I got the vhs video of the whole game.

Simpler, but happy times
I’ve still got that LP!
The goal - "In it comes, arcing its way, there's a chance and it's there, Porterfield I believe, yes Porterfield the scorer"

The final whistle - "Sunderland are 1 up and they've won the cup, they've won the cup"

#metoo 😎

We all know it's hopeless trying to compare players/teams from different eras but that 73 side were better players, no doubt.
Monty was international class (and showed it), Watson and Tueart went on to win many caps for England, Hughes played for Scotland; Porterfield was a fine playmaker and Kerr was the Kante of his day.
Pitt was a brilliant young defender but was cut down by injury.
More important, from 1 to 11 they were a team. A cracking team.
The 22 side emerged as heroes at Wembley and I'm proud of them all...but let's not over-egg it.
Bobby Kerr rect

We had loads of newspapers, now still have a suitcase full. We had the record and a cine film of both the semifinals and one of the final. Eventually we had vhs tapes then dvd. Different time but can remember most of the day in London fantastic memories from 1973. I already have fantastic memories of last weekend and have watched replays and clips hundreds of times over, however not one newspaper clipping. HTL ithics
I was just thinking this the other day. My dad made a scrap book and kept newspapers in 1973 and I did the same in 1992, have loads of newspaper specials. From Saturday I don’t even have the programme - don’t need them with the amount of footage of the game on the internet

I was just thinking this the other day. My dad made a scrap book and kept newspapers in 1973 and I did the same in 1992, have loads of newspaper specials. From Saturday I don’t even have the programme - don’t need them with the amount of footage of the game on the internet
My dad did the same for 73 with programmes and tickets as well as newspapers cuttings and his betting slip to win the cup placed just before City away. I did the same for 85 :oops:

I genuinely don't know whether to take the programmes and tickets out and get them framed and put in my shed, (the 73 lot obviously) or leave them as is.

There's no comparison between winning the FA Cup as a Second Division team against Leeds of the early 70's, and winning the League 1 play off final.
You’re right, It was miles better being at Wembley to watch us win the 3rd division playoff than being pushed about Fulwell in my buggy by my stressed to fuck couldn’t watch another second mam as a 15 month old in 73.

My memories of 73 are still crystal clear.....left the BeeHive at 10.00, down to Martin's (Exotic cafe) for a T Bone steak and on the 11.35 out to London.....

Saturday I missed because of a holiday but the lad went, his first ever Win at Wembley and I can't wait to speak with him. The last thing I told him before we left was to soak it all in which is what I know he has done. We will talk for your about last weekend.
I
the 73 game was fantastic but last Saturday's was by far the most important.

Back