1973 v 2022.

I was a toddler in 1973 but growing up it was never far from the consciousness and while we didn't have video recordings until much later the three key moments (goal, save, and Stokoe's dash) were quite regularly seen on TV and especially during FA Cup related shows. I must have seen them dozens of times on TV before I ever had access to a VHS of the final itself or of SAFC history etc.

Seem to recall the whole game being shown occasionally also.

Plus eerybody seemed to have newspaper clippings of it too, which I remember reading over and over.

We had loads of newspapers, now still have a suitcase full. We had the record and a cine film of both the semifinals and one of the final. Eventually we had vhs tapes then dvd. Different time but can remember most of the day in London fantastic memories from 1973. I already have fantastic memories of last weekend and have watched replays and clips hundreds of times over, however not one newspaper clipping. HTL ithics

There was an LP record of the Radio 2 commentary called “Sunderland’s Cup”, I’d listen to it regularly, especially the fans singing during and after the game.

It was 1986 before I got the vhs video of the whole game.

Simpler, but happy times
I have that. I also ripped it to mp3 I've shared it a few times on here

I was 6 (almost) in 1973. And I can vaguely remember it. My Dad (RIP) was there and I went to see the trophy come back. What I was wondering - is how did people re-live the moment. I’ve watched the goals from Saturday about 1000 times. Must have been well into the 80s when my Dad got me a cassette recording of the 1973 final - which I would fall asleep listening to. Was it just reading the Football Echo over and over?
Buying all the Sunday papers on Sunday morning!!

I was 6 (almost) in 1973. And I can vaguely remember it. My Dad (RIP) was there and I went to see the trophy come back. What I was wondering - is how did people re-live the moment. I’ve watched the goals from Saturday about 1000 times. Must have been well into the 80s when my Dad got me a cassette recording of the 1973 final - which I would fall asleep listening to. Was it just reading the Football Echo over and over?
Just dug out 73 Football Echo (London Edition)
There was 9 of us down,not a photo between us .
Ended up in fountain ,fully clothed
Overnight train home,soaking wet ,drunk but very happy .
Down all last weekend enjoyed it ,saw lots of old faces ,especially in Northumberland Arms.

There's no comparison between winning the FA Cup as a Second Division team against Leeds of the early 70's, and winning the League 1 play off final.
I don’t think you picked up the meaning of his post 😂
2022 team wins by at least 5 goals
tbf the 73 team are ancient now. Porterfield is no longer with us and big Dave is struggling with dementia so the current lot should edge it.

1973 is special, it will outlast the feeling we currently have for 2022 by some distance, but that doesn’t belittle how I, and many others feel now. In many respects, it’s not worth comparing. What was achieved in 73 was unbelievable, and not worth sullying by comparing with anything any team in this country has done since. What we did at Wembley in 2022 is something we should hold close to our hearts, it won’t happen often, but it wasn’t 1973.

1973 is special, it will outlast the feeling we currently have for 2022 by some distance, but that doesn’t belittle how I, and many others feel now. In many respects, it’s not worth comparing. What was achieved in 73 was unbelievable, and not worth sullying by comparing with anything any team in this country has done since. What we did at Wembley in 2022 is something we should hold close to our hearts, it won’t happen often, but it wasn’t 1973.
True but nobody was unless they were taking the piss a bit. The OP certainly wasn’t.

I was 5 in 1973 and can just about remember it. One of my mates got the VHS mid 80’s and we all got together to watch it. We all knew the score but we were all on the edge our seats all the way through. I still don’t know how adults coped watching it live

There was an LP record of the Radio 2 commentary called “Sunderland’s Cup”, I’d listen to it regularly, especially the fans singing during and after the game.

It was 1986 before I got the vhs video of the whole game.

Simpler, but happy times
Yep. I had the LP. My ex wife has it now….
There is a more succinct version on BBC Sounds which is still good. I was at the 73 final with my dad and feel that I have finally squared the circle with my own kids on Saturday. What a day

We all know it's hopeless trying to compare players/teams from different eras but that 73 side were better players, no doubt.
Monty was international class (and showed it), Watson and Tueart went on to win many caps for England, Hughes played for Scotland; Porterfield was a fine playmaker and Kerr was the Kante of his day.
Pitt was a brilliant young defender but was cut down by injury.
More important, from 1 to 11 they were a team. A cracking team.
The 22 side emerged as heroes at Wembley and I'm proud of them all...but let's not over-egg it.

Back